Skip navigation

Email PDF Form as a PDF Document

Feb 12, 2008 2:25 PM

Latest reply: Su-PA, Aug 24, 2011 7:46 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2009 4:49 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    By default the user will not be able to save the form in Reader unless you Reader Extend the document. This also means that they cannot email the coompleted PDF they can only email the data file (like a submit in a browser).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2009 12:44 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    I tried submitting the form as an end user from Adobe Reader. I filled out the form and was able to save it from the file menu or the save icon.

The requirement is that the user should not be able to save the form data. Is there a way to disable the save function/ disallow the user to save or have some security that restricts saving data without a password?

My second question is that on submitting a form the user has a option to select an email client in a dialog box that appears. Is there a way to bypass the dialog box and submit the form directly to an email address, similar to a web form?

PS: I am using Adobe Livecycle Designer 7.0 and do not have Reader Extension as you mention.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 3:12 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Hi

Is there anyway you can change the form output from xml attachment to say a *.txt format in the attachment when you hit the mail form button.

What I want is when the client hits the mail form button in the pdf doc that it creates a *.txt file instead of the xml in the e-mail attachment.

Using Adobe designer 7

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 5:23 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Upasana,

Reader will not allow you to save the data locally by default ...so the form you have must be Reader Extended to allow this operation. It is an all or nothing type of switch either you can save the data or you cannot.

You do not submit to an email address. You have to interact with a local client mail client. This is done through an API call. You can automate the call to the mail client (so that the mail message is completely filled out)but you cannot press the send key (the user must do that). The reason for this is so that PDFs do not behave like a virus and do mass mailings (without the users knowledge)

Erik,

No we only allow you to send XML or XDP form data. TXT files are not supported.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 2:34 PM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Thanks Paul for clarification. From the Adobe Reader I am able to do "Save As" and save the filled out form. So if my form is reader extended then how to I disable it so that form cannot be saved in any way including "save as" option.

Also is there a way to hide Reader toolbars when a user opens the form either in the Adobe Reader program or in a browser?

Thanks for help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 4:02 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)
    Depends how you Reader Extend (RE). If you RE using Acrobat then you have no choice ...that right will always turn on. If you RE using LiveCycle you can choose the rights to add and you would simply not allow that one.

You can bring up the form in full screen mode ....hence all menus are turned off. Use the following command on the initialize event of the form:

app.fs.isFullScreen = true;

Note that the user can still hit a key combination that will turn menus back on but they woudl need to know that combination.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2009 8:31 AM   in reply to pguerett

I have a Dynamic form in LiveCycle ES 8.2 thats hides and shows fields and subforms based upon user input (change or click event).  We then submit the xml back to the server and re-render the form.  We then flatten the form before we email off for routing.

When we flatten the form it shows all the fields even the hidden ones.  Why is that?  I only what it to show the fields that need to be displayed based upon what the user entered.  Is it because the events are not being fired because the form is flattend?  What is a work around?  I have tried to run the java script on the "client and server" setting, but this doesn't work either?  Help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 11:40 AM   in reply to pguerett

Paul,

I apologize if this thread is not the right place for this but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I have two issues that I am trying to resolve.

1. Is there a way in Acrobat Pro 8 to set a fillable form to COME BACK to me as an entire PDF rather than as .xml data?

2. Is there a way to include attachments in the submitting of this form and can this be done without a third-party mail client?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 12:15 PM   in reply to FBCJMedia

Are we talking email here, or you can send the form back using an HTTP post?

Jasmin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 10:25 AM   in reply to Hodmi

Hello eveyone, I am VERY new to adobe and adobe livecyce designer. I am using Adobe livecycle designer 8.0. I have created a document with drop down lists, check boxes, etc for a staff person to fill out and email to a group. I have the email button working (though the attachment is not named like I want it). When the form is filled out, and I send it to myself, the form is still editable. I do not have livecycle ES, do I need this to get the pdf file "flat".

ANY help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

CDF

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 10:38 AM   in reply to CindyFuentes1

You could write some script that disabled data entry into fields before the document was sent, but the code could get quite ugly.

The one thing to note about the Output server side module is that it doesn't really "flatten" the form, it really re-renders the document in a non-interactive format. One nice thing about that is that any server side scripting will execute as the document is procesed (allowing things like data validation).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to Hodmi

Hodmi,

Thank you for the information. So if I understand correctly is I would have to have something additional other that what I have to render the PDF in a non-interactive mode. Correct? This document really does not have any data validation to it. We want her to "click" on the hospital, choose the date, check the boxes that apply and email this form out. Any chance of making this work?

Thank You again for your help,

Cindy Fuentes

-

Hodmi <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

You could write some script that disabled data entry into fields before the document was sent, but the code could get quite ugly.

The one thing to note about the Output server side module is that it doesn't really "flatten" the form, it really re-renders the document in a non-interactive format. One nice thing about that is that any server side scripting will execute as the document is procesed (allowing things like data validation).

>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 5:48 AM   in reply to CindyFuentes1

If you want to turn an interactive form into a true non-interactive (flat) document then you need to use LC Output.  You would submit the document to the server, where it would be flattened and then emailed.  That's the only way to transform an interactive PDF into a non-interactive document.

If, however; you just want a document where the user can't change certain fields then you can cheat a little.  You could put code on the interactive form that executes when the user clicks on the send button.  That code would change each of the field's access to read only and then email the form.  You wouldn't have a true flat document, but the user wouldn't be able to make changes.  For more info on this option check out this post:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3167357#3167357

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2011 4:54 AM   in reply to (Tod_Bruning)

Check out www.PDFEmail.net

PDFEmail.net can send PDF form submission w/o 3rd party e-mail software such as OUTLOOK.

PDFEmail.net creates ASP.net scripts you upload to a webserver. Just point the submit button URL action to the script, and send e-mail from any Acrobat or LiveCycle PDF submission. Send XFDF, FDF, XDP, XML and PDF (Flattened or Not) to a list of recipients of your choice.

ASP.net scripts are fully customizable, yet, there is no programming needed. Works with ASP.net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0.

PDFEmail.net utilizes iTextSharp technologies.

For more information:

http://www.PDFEmail.net

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 7:46 AM   in reply to pguerett

Hi,

I have a simple problem that persists in Firefox browsers only. I have a pdf object embedded in a html page. The pdfs are rendered by Adobe LiveCycle 9 and it is an editable one. The html page has the Save/Cancel buttons to save the data entered by the user. In firefox when I keep the focus on any of the editable field, enter some values, will not tab out from that field and click on the Save button, then that particular field is not saved. This behavior is not seen in IE and it is working fine. We are using IE 8 and Firefox 3.6

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)