• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Guide Sets in Photoshop

Engaged ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to find very little documentation (mostly just user requests) about having multiple guide sets in Photoshop. I really think this would be a useful tool. Has anyone heard anything about this feature (maybe in upcoming versions - can it be done another way)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

I had forgotten about this post, and after briefly scrolling over it, I can see why. It's amazing how heated a post can get when people are simply looking for answers and there are those who get offended when their answer isn't considered the ultimate solution.

RaveWolf - I appreciate the time you took to write your post, but in all reality, what you suggested is almost as manual as the other suggestions (and not easily and quickly edited) - it's hard to move a 1 px line quickly and accurately (o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

I've been able to find very little documentation (mostly just user requests) about having multiple guide sets in Photoshop. I really think this would be a useful tool. Has anyone heard anything about this feature (maybe in upcoming versions - can it be done another way)?

Save a blank file with the desired guides and use it as a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save a blank file with the desired guides and use it as a template.

How does that help with anything? My question had nothing to do with using the same guides over and over. My question was about having multiple guide sets within a document.

There are many instances when a particular document can become inundated with guide lines (especially if you are creating multiple layout versions of the design and want to keep everything in the same psd document) - who wants to have to manage 4 psd's containing 4 different layouts of the same content? So, the question relates to being able to create a set of guide lines, group those guide lines into a fashion to where they can be visible or not, be able to create a whole new set of guidelines, and so on. I can only imagine how simple this would be to incorporate into Photoshop - maybe it's a future feature - maybe I'm alone in thinking it could be a useful tool. Has anyone else thought this would be a cool feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a useful idea to me.  I suppose now most folks just add/move/remove guides as needed.  They snap to stuff if you hold the shift key down, so if you've made something a while ago and removed the guide, you can get one back to the same place.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

Has anyone else thought this would be a cool feature?

It already is in Indesign – which is a true layout program.

Photoshop is primarily a photo editor with a bit of digital painting capability thrown in and I would like to think Adobe would be concentrating on getting rid of the current problems without bloating the software with even more marginal features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is primarily a photo editor

True, but that should never mean software can't be used outside its intended scope. There are many programs which were solely created for one purpose, but through time and usage, users and developers have extended capabilities into software that might have never been thought of in the beginning. Sometimes a program not meant for a particular function can yield better results than the software strictly meant for that purpose. So, it's all in how a person uses the software. Do you think the early developers of Photoshop ever imagined their 2-D program could eventually work with 3-D objects? Some users may be more comfortable and familiar with certain programs, and although it may not be the most efficient way to do so, a designer just has to "do what needs to be done the easiest and quickest way they currently know how to do it". I've love to know everything about every piece of software I have to use in order to keep up with all the random projects that come to me. For example, sometimes it's easier and faster for me to create something in PS and export the paths to Illustrator then save as vector than for me to start from scratch in Illustrator.

I can't see how adding a feature like multiple guide sets could be considered bloating the software or a marginal idea (even though I know and agree in general with what you said about software).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just talking about Guide lines that is very easy to do in Photoshop. Just create an Action to add the guidelines you want a set to have.  Create as many actions to set guide as you need. The Shortcut ( Shift+Alt+Ctrl+;  ) will clear all guide line if you want to start out fresh. You can add guide sets it other sets by playing several actions the set guide lines.  Guide line can be set relatively or absolutely...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just create an Action to add the guidelines you want a set to have.  Create as many actions to set guide as you need.

I don't understand why some people take the time to respond to a post when their reply states the exact opposite of what the issue is. I DO NOT need a set of guide lines to be re-used per document or as part of a template. Creating an action for a set of guide lines would imply the Photoshop document size and dpi would be the same all the time or for multiple projects. Otherwise, what JJ said about making a template would be the best bet. I don't need a template nor do I (almost never) work on the same size documents. If I wanted a template with guide lines, or I planned on using the same size documents, I could easily create a new document size in Photoshop's preset new documents.

My 2nd posting to this topic explains a scenario in which multiple guide lines would benefit me (as I'm sure many others). Think about it this way: many web designers use Photoshop to create a mock-up of the proposed website layout (eg. with horizontal navigation menu and related graphics). One would need a set of guide lines for this horizontal layout. The client would like to see what the website would look like with a vertical menu. So, instead of creating a whole new document, you create a vertical version of the menu (either using a copy of the previous graphical elements or creating them from scratch). In doing so, you would need to utilize a whole new set of guide lines, and any previous guide lines would just get in the way (especially if you have smart guides turned on). So, the solution would be to be able to place guide lines on layers/groups just as any other graphical elements. This way, guide lines could be turned on/off, edited, etc. as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what JJMack was saying.

Create an action that clears guides, and creates your horizontal layout guides. Also create one that clears guides and create verticals. Run the appropriate action when you need the corresponding guides. It's certainly not as clean as sets, but with the same basic functionality.

Try reading the responses with the mindset of how they might help you, not how they might be wrong.

BTW, selecting all layers and dragging to John's [useless] template docs will also work (and there you can have new slice sets for each layout).

Or just fill out a feature request and wait. Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or try doing it in InDesign.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed when I said "Otherwise, what JJ said about making a template would be the best bet.", I mean JJ = John Joslin - I didn't even realize the other responder was JJ Mack - that might have been confusing...

Create an action that clears guides, and creates your horizontal layout guides. Also create one that clears guides and create verticals. Run the appropriate action when you need the corresponding guides. It's certainly not as clean as sets, but with the same basic functionality.

This would be a case of taking 4 steps (not literally) when my original solution (although not ideal - of creating a whole new document) would have been 2 steps. The solution in which I was trying to get away from and find something better (guide sets) would be less involved than what you suggested.

Try reading the responses with the mindset of how they might help you, not how they might be wrong.

This is how I see it. The times I post something in this forum, it's not something so trivial as "how do I make a graphic" or anything elementary. My topics are usually based on functionality of the program and sometimes undocumented tips and methods. Although some of my inquiries are not typically what the program was built for, I like to see if I can push the software into (in the end) accomplishing something it might not have been known to do. When I create a topic, I'm not looking for a band-aid, and the answers/experiences I seek are not meant for the occasional Photoshop user or for the people who live in these forums that like to reply to every topic whether their comments have anything to do with the matter or not (you have to admit, there are many people in forums who sit around all day and reply to topics who know nothing about the issue, and their replies are based on level 1 knowledge of Photoshop). It would be like you looking for an answer because you are stuck on level 12 of a problem, and people flood your topic up with level 2 replies - they don't stop to think that in order to be stuck at level 12, you would have already had to address their "level 2" comment.

Anyway, my point is: anything outside of Photoshop allowing for mutiple guide sets, my original second option of creating a separate document (which I would like to stay away from) is much simpler and quicker than all these "creating actions" blah blah... What happens when after creating the action you have to adjust even one guide? You would have to recreate that action again - too much for little reward... I do appreciate when people reply to my topics, but I just wish they would literally read a little closer to what I'm trying to get at than throw up random suggestions and hope something sticks. I'm not strictly talking about this post, but in general to the majority of my topics.

I will just look for the feature request and be done with it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

t I just wish they would literally read a little closer to what I'm trying to get at than throw up random suggestions and hope something sticks. I'm not strictly talking about this post, but in general to the majority of my topics.

I will just look for the feature request and be done with it...

That's because the majority of your posts are feature requests.

Good luck. Be sure to look out for my noise in your next post. I'll make sure it's level one for you, grand master.

I've got say I do take delight in knowing that PS employees who cruise this forum skip over queries with multiple posts, as they take that to mean it's been answered. And given the fact that we live here it does appear you'll just have to suck it up. Oh, and what you're really looking for is a grid. In case you're not familiar with google. Oops, level one hint dropped (awww, snap).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Baloney, did I push a button? First of all, I find it a little silly (and sad) you retracted/edited your original reply to me of "Good luck, level 12 guru. Be sure to look out for my noise in your next post. I'll make sure it's level one for you next time, punk." I don't know... maybe you realized I wasn't talking directly to you or about your replies, or maybe you realized calling me a punk was you just being hypocritical. You see, that's what the phrase "in general" means (that something isn't directly in response to the current conversation or topic). I even said so in what you quoted me as saying in your reply above.

When you opened your reply (actually, it was your edited reply from what I pasted above) with "That's because the majority of your posts are feature requests.", you should have just left it at that.Now that I think about it - how the hell do you know what the majority of my posts are about - are you keeping track? If that's what you think (the majority of my posts...), doesn't it stand to reason I don't need a bunch of replies about possible solutions that (I think) any knowledgeable Photoshop user would have thought about in the first place? If you think about it, by the time you chimed in, I had already said (at least twice) how a series of actions would not benefit my issue. Then you throw in a lesson about how I should "Try reading the responses with the mindset... when they might be wrong" - thanks for the lesson, coach. I don't believe I said any response was "wrong" - I'm pretty sure I only went so far as to say how that particular response was either not really related to the core of the issue or that the response was more of a "band-aid" than a permanent solution (even temporary). I bet you watch CNN because that whole network likes to reword what's said to fit whatever point they are trying to make.

Good luck. Be sure to look out for my noise in your next post. I'll make sure it's level one for you next time, grand master. I've got say I do take delight in knowing that PS employees who cruise this forum skip over queries with multiple posts, as they take that to mean it's been answered.

Thank you for proving my point to... the... "T". Not only is it childish of you to claim you are going to follow me around this forum (maybe you already do since you know what the majority of my topics are about) just to add a bunch of "noise" to my posts, you bring up the exact reason I don't want a bunch of people replying with suggestions that (if they would have thought) aren't a future-forward solution. The more time I have to waste in replying (kind of like the time I've wasted with this reply) with how a user's suggestion wouldn't work for me (and I also take the time to explain why), the less likely I'm going to get an answer or suggestion by someone who might actually have either experienced what I am talking about or can read between the lines enough to know what I'm looking for in an answer. I don't come in here looking for a fight or for pointless arguments (even though arguments can sometimes yield in a solution no one would have thought about by being totally nice), but sometimes the arrogance from people (when they are told their answer isn't what I was looking for) takes over the whole post and nothing gets solved. Simply put, your idea/reply just wasn't what I was looking for - not to mention you basically regurgitated what JJMack already said.

Jesus, I think I will just go back to the days I actually talked directly to the software engineers and had a lot of success as part of a group of beta testers - there are several programs out there in which my ideas are a part of (although I haven't done so with Adobe - become a beta tester). People on these forums take things too personal and get their feelings hurt and I end up appearing to be the bad person to others who simply skim the surface in reading some of these posts.

Oh, and what you're really looking for is a grid.

Uh, that would be a "no" - I'm looking for a way to have "multiple guide line sets" (as the topic states) - nothing to do with grids - but good effort [is this what you wanted to hear even though you are way off-topic]?

In case you're not familiar with google. Oops, level one hint dropped. Awww, snap.

Google? What on earth is that? Where would I be able to buy one of those things? Do they have multiple guide line sets I could use?

To close - my analogy [you may have to look up that word] of level 1 and level 12 was not meant to imply I'm any "grand master" or "punk guru". It was to emphasize how some responses I read (from other forums/posts) can sometimes be so out of touch with the actual topic, and as you mentioned, the more responses a topic gets, the less likely the ones who "really" know the answer would be inclined to read the topic. So, if it is your desire to discombobulate [another word for you to look up] me and sabotage my posts by adding your "noise", at least I have it in your writing so I can forward to Adobe forum moderators.

Now, to JJMack

If you want help with available Photoshop versions use the Photoshop Windows, Photoshop Macintosh and Photoshop Scripting Forums.The way I see it your posting to the wrong forum. 

I'm not posting in the wrong forum - I think I can discern where my particular issue should go. At the time of my original post, I wasn't requesting for a feature - I was asking if anyone had heard about multiple guide sets and/or if anyone had heard about this being talked about for future releases. Now, if/when I would have been told this was not a current feature and/or they had never heard anyone else talking about it, THEN I would have thought to search for the website to request the function.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. I will just use 2 separate documents (if needed) in order to have different sets of guide lines. The funny thing is all this time has been wasted on an instance that's only come up one time with me. I just thought there might be an easier way to accomplish my issue for any future needs. I think I will just tell the client "one version only, next"! That's what you call a joke/humor just in case you read that wrong too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look if you want a new feature  Adobe has a web  Feature Request Form that you can use to submit your feature request here is its URL https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.  Also in the Adobe support forums there is Photoshop Feature Requests Forum you should also use that forum.

If you want help with available Photoshop versions use the Photoshop Windows, Photoshop Macintosh and Photoshop Scripting Forums. The way I see it your posting to the wrong forum.  Sorry there is no  rumor  forum.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a moron forum? I'd trade my kingdom for a whore in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry there is no  rumor  forum.

One last thing... I wish you people would stop editing your posts way after you wrote them... It took you 4-5 minutes to add the above line to your original post? Why? What was the point or your goal?

and

How about a moron forum? I'd trade my kingdom for a whore in there.

I vote you King of a place like that if ever there was one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So, if it is your desire to discombobulate [another word for you to look up] me and sabotage my posts by adding your "noise", at least I have it in your writing so I can forward to Adobe forum moderators."

I'm not saying that.

And Shan, I've already solved your problem, and would have contributed my solution if you hadn't been so impolite to JJ and JJ. Try and be a little more polite to folks (especially the one who suggested the solution you're about to use -- I mean, come on).

Multiple Guides

Shoe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2010 Aug 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Shan, I've already solved your problem, and would have contributed my solution if you hadn't been so impolite to JJ and JJ. Try and be a little more polite to folks (especially the one who suggested the solution you're about to use -- I mean, come on).

First, I wasn't impolite to John Joslin. After his first reply, I explained how my issue is beyond needing a template. Then he replied mentioning InDesign. I replied about pushing the Photoshop software and other general conversation. Show me where I was impolite to him.

I'm perfectly polite and appreciative as long as people are responding with educated suggestions and not just responding for the sake of upping their "posts" count. Again, I'm not saying that necessarily happened here, but once I (at least thought) made it clear that actions would not work in this case, that idea kept being pushed. I spent many years contributing in other forums (mainly Flash), and I can't count how many times the original poster got upset when people would basically respond with meaningless garbage (simply because they were trying to have the most posts), so it was a game to many. Many times my reply (which was the ultimate answer) was so covered up with random garbage from others, I stopped wasting my time trying to help. Many times people would bark back to me about how my answer didn't work (how I was just wasting their time), but I quickly shut them up when I actually made a Flash example to show them. Rarely did I get a retraction or a thank you (another reason I stopped contributing). So, when I actually look for another's advice or opinion, I tend to only have topics which are for the more experienced designers. There are many PS users that know the software like the back of their hands, but couldn't design a simple graphic. It is not my intension to me mean to people on here, but I have a limited amount of time to break away from my work, and you have to admit, some of the answers on these forums are just way out there (as if the responder knows nothing about what they are talking about). My flaw is taking the time to let them know how and why their suggestion wouldn't work - I should just ignore them I guess. That's why I'm so quick to jump on people when their suggestion just seems so bizarre.

Another thing I don't understand: why do you respond around 11:50 PM last night with

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_(page_layout)

Shoe!"

then edit your whole post sometime this morning? That is kind of weird to me. You did that before too.

Anyway, your link has nothing to do with my purpose, and as far as I see, is more of a series of templates than anything else. If you think this has to do with Photoshop, I'd like to hear how you think so. I don't know about your design skills, but I don't use templates - I create everything from scratch. If I need a template, I will make it myself. The fact is, I need these guide lines to be fully customizable and be able to be moved around at will. Creating a template wouldn't work because I would never need the same sets of guide lines again. Using InDesign wouldn't work because I don't have the time to refresh myself on another program when I've already built something in Photoshop (not to mention I may run into this issue 2 times a year) - yeah, all this for something I might need twice a year. Recording actions wouldn't work because even after setting the guide lines, I may have to move them for both horizontal and verticle menus (and still be able to go back and forth between the two and edit elements).

Bottom line is: none of the suggestions fit my cause - a cause that was not worth all the banter back and forth. If you think I'm mean in my responses, then don't read my future topics (no harm, no foul).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Shoe"? 

The culture around here occasionally gets hostile.  Just ignore it; try not to get caught up in it.  You're expressing a valid need and idea.  More power to you.

The Photoshop Jedi says:  "There's good in them, I can feel it." 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think "Shoe" meant "shoo 'nuff" as in "sure enough" as in "snapping your fingers in a circle", but my slang translation could be off a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here looking for the same thing, and personally found the Actions idea great, so thanks for the question and thanks for the answer.

The Actions works a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! Is this the best solution you guys can come up with? Really!

I come across this over a year later (unfotunetly) and no-one has come up with anything better!

Here is my Solution that I have been using since PS6:

1) Create a New Group. Call it "GUIDES" for easy reference or whatever is easiest for you to identify.

2) Select Line Tool (U)

3) Set size to 1px (or bigger, depending on your requirements)

4) Draw your Line(s) (Guides) as desired - Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, or Other.

5) Done.

* Don't forget to move the "Guides" Group to the top of the layers list so that it is above all layers.

* also check your Snap settings under the "View" menu.

Bonus:

You now have the most advanced and fully customizable guides ever. Let your imagination go wild!!

Ideas:

1) Create 1 Line per Guide.

2) Create a Hierarchy of Groups under your main guides group - (Banner, Title, Heading, Subheading, Text, Arrows, Buttons, Image #, etc)

3) Colourize your Lines (Guides) for easy identification

4) Use the "eye" to show or hide your guides - either as a whole or individualy or as desired.

5) Colour code your Groups as well.

6) Create a PSD file that contains ALL of your Templates and copy this, to that document. You will now have a database resource of Templates.

6a) Now if you create a new document, you can open your Template Resource PSD document and drag the required template(s) to your new document and adjust as needed.

7) You can even use the "Lock" to lock your new guides.

* Now you don't have to worry about searching your millions of "Actions" every 10seconds to find the Guide(s) you need. Just Click to Show or Click to Hide. Simple!

"Actions" are for repetitive or time consuming tasks, not to Show or Hide stuff.

I think this covers what you need or needed...

I hope this helps with future stuff and those that may need this in the future.

Regards,

RaveWolf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice tip, RaveWolf, and great first post!  Thank you for your contribution.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had forgotten about this post, and after briefly scrolling over it, I can see why. It's amazing how heated a post can get when people are simply looking for answers and there are those who get offended when their answer isn't considered the ultimate solution.

RaveWolf - I appreciate the time you took to write your post, but in all reality, what you suggested is almost as manual as the other suggestions (and not easily and quickly edited) - it's hard to move a 1 px line quickly and accurately (opposed to simply dragging guide lines around).

The solution I found is to group all relative layers together, convert them into a smart object, double click the smart object (previous guide lines will accompany). Clear those guide lines and create a new set however needed). When you are finished, close the document making sure to save it, and then you are back to the original document with its original guide lines. Even if you add new guide lines to the original document, the smart object will only contain the guide lines added when editing that smart object. My problem is solved!

So, in my scenario (as if I was starting a new project), I create a new document, create an empty group naming the group according to the different page titles I may be designing (ie. home, services, contact, etc). Convert each group into a new smart object, then edit and set guide lines accordingly per smart object. This allows me to have ONE master document while being able to edit the various other documents contained in the smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply... It is actually very simple to move. Just use "Shift". It semi-locks whatever you move.

So if you hold Shift and move the mouse, the image will lock on that plane - Horizontally or Vertically.

Oh, just so you know the "Line Tool" technicaly is a smart object already.

Glad to hear that you found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines