Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Firewire, iLink, IEEE 1394 export problem, Windows 7

Aug 12, 2010 3:16 PM

(Sorry for multiple post, just moving this from elsewhere)

Disabling  MPE (and make software only) does not work for me. I have tried onboard  and add on firewire cards with no luck. I tried VIA and TI chipset  cards. I tried default and legacy drivers. nothing works. Not just MPE,  the CS5 timeline without MPE won't even play on the firewire device.

Asus P6T Deluxe mobo (built in VIA chipset firewire 400)

12 GB 1600 ram

Nvidia GTX285 graphics

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Sony Z1U camera, firewire dv in using as a deck

Canon Optura Pi camera - firewire in

Panasonic AJ-D250 deck - firewire in

PPro CS5 5.0.1

I have the playback  settings set correctly and the  check status shows ONLINE. The units rewind, record and  everything but the picture will be a still of the CTI, no live video.

I am going from SD timeline to SD DV/DVCAM format recording.

Time code is set right - DF on the timeline and DF on the recorder, both 30fps.

Cannot export the timeline. Does not play out on the firewire. Only  scrubbing shows on the external unit, play does not. Export will get a  still of the CTI still frame recorded on the tape. Capture works fine.

So  for now I have to export my SD timeline as a DV file and open PPro CS3  and export the file to tape. Every week two half hour TV shows will have  to be exported to tape this way. Everything else is wonderful with CS5  PPro but this is frustrating. MPE on or off, does not make any  difference. May be it's my combination of hardware. Anybody with this  hardware?

Thanks

-Bala Chandran

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2010 6:14 PM   in reply to AsianOcean.com

I just installed the CS5 upgrade to Production Premium and can verify the original post.  No output (at all) to DV.  I followed all the steps outlined in another thread but no signal to the DV deck.  If I switch back to CS3 it works perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 10:18 PM   in reply to AsianOcean.com

I wonder if this is related to the previous bug whereby one could output to Fierwire, but not have simultaneous playback on the internal Premiere monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 1:24 AM   in reply to AsianOcean.com

If MPE is set to software only and the playback settings are set to DV device, there is no problem with the signal over firewire to a DV deck and external monitor. No problem with DV seguences nor with AVCHD seuences. All the three test sequences in the PPBM5 Benchmark have no problem in giving out the signal over firewire.

Make sure your playback settings are like this:

13-8-2010 10-22-40.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Make sure your playback settings are like this:

But how many Premiere users will send out audio as well?  Seems like most will use Desktop Audio as the norm.  And that was the key to the DV output error in CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 10:03 AM   in reply to Jim Simon
    But how many Premiere users will send out audio as well?  Seems like most will use Desktop Audio as the norm.

Only those that do not want serious out-of-sync issues. Signals over firewire have a noticeable delay of nearly 1 second, and if you want to hear that all the time, you would use Desktop Audio. If you want video and audio synched, you want External Audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 1:04 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Good News!  I was able to print to tape using the "firewire" connection.  I followed Harm's directions and seemingly have no problem..I set a test "print to tape" and all is well.  Since I don't have a CUDA video card, the MPE Options are greyed out. One odd thing happened that may or may not be related.  After foolinjg around with connections and settings, I unplugged the firewire cable from the deck, then plugged it back in.  Immediately CS3 opened! Suddenly my firewire connection from CS3 was live.  Then I switched back to CS5 and it also was live.  Weird!     

As long as it works!   Fortunately most of the Broadcasters and Cable Co's I deliver content to are accepting either .MOV or MPEG-2 files.  I can actually see the day when Tape will be "quaint".  

Thanks for everyone's help on this.  If any of you need me to perform tests, just ask.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2010 10:17 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Signals over firewire have a noticeable delay of nearly 1 second

It's not quite that bad on my system, maybe only a few frames.  Certainly not enough to worry about even when a client is watching.

But even with the delay, I bet Desktop audio is still the far more common usage.  DV out really does need to work correctly with that option selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 3:34 AM   in reply to J Graves

Having followed the advice on this and previous threads my problems also seem to have been resolved so thanks to all.  I would welcome clarifiaction on just on more point.  In order to make it work I have switched MPE to software only.  Is this still necessary having made all the other settings adjustments and what am I losing by not using MPE for this function please?  I would love to know.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 5:55 AM   in reply to johngrahameaton

You either have to render your complete sequence while MPE is ON and use preview files during export with MPE off, or you need to use MRQ (maximum render quality) during export with MPE off. Otherwise you lose quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 6:22 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, for thosre of us without a CUDA graphics card, (i.e. MPE options are greyed out), where does one find MRQ (maximum render quality) settings?

Thanks,

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 6:34 AM   in reply to J Graves

Hi

There's alway another question!  I use a nVidia GeForce GTX 285.  Is this (or what is) a CUDA Card please?  Thanks for your patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2010 7:10 AM   in reply to johngrahameaton

The GTX 285 is a fully supported card, so you can enable hardware assisted MPE.

14-8-2010 16-07-32.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to AsianOcean.com

It sounds like the Auto-Play was set, at some point, to open CS3 when a firewire device is connected. There's a system preference for that.

After foolinjg around with connections and settings, I unplugged the firewire cable from the deck, then plugged it back in.  Immediately CS3 opened! Suddenly my firewire connection from CS3 was live.  Then I switched back to CS5 and it also was live.  Weird! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I routinely go to external device, (my camera, and then out to monitor) and use desktop audio. The lack of sync is not an issue as I am mainly interested

in what the video looks like.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2010 3:18 PM   in reply to Phil Griffith

My point exactly, Phil.  DV out with Desktop audio needs to work correctly, as it did for all versions from CS3 back.  Sounds like the CS4 bug still hasn't been properly fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I am beginning to gain a better understanding of the problem.  I am using a new high spec PC running Windows 7 with a GeForce GTX 285.

I am running a trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.

My input/output of audio/video is via Firewire to a JVC MiniDV player/recorder.

I feed output from the JVC player/recorder via an S-VHS cable to a Hi Resolution JVC broadcast monitor.

When I complete a project rendered with MPE nothing gets to either the player/recorder or monitor.

When I re-render in software only mode the player/recorder receives the footage and records it on the tape and displays it on the monitor.  But, the image in the PC output monitor freezes. If I scrub the timeline thing start to move for a bit then stop.

This is something I never experienced using PP5.1.1.

I have not yet worried about audio as this is not essential at this stage and can be monitored during editing.

Not sure if this helps clarify or just confuse the issue but would welcome any areas of similar experience of indeed solutions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points