• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5's transformation bounding box... argh!

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of a way to turn off the bounding box which Indesign CS5 draws around a selection of objects? It's driving me nuts as it's nolonger easy to see just what's been selected and what hasn't if other objects appear within the bounding box's frame!

Illustrator has had this feature for a while - and has an option to turn it off. Whither Indesign?

Cheers.

Peter

Progress, eh? One step forwards and half a dozen back!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about Hide Frame Edges from the View Menu? That will hide the group bounding box when a single member is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that just hides the frames around single objects like Indesign has always done.

I'm talking about the bounding box that CS5 now draws around multiple objects as you select them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you select them or as you hover over them?

Big difference.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, totally misread what you said in the original post. Don't know where I got the idea you were talking about groups. Must be the sleep deprivation.

So no, there's seems to be nothing you can do to turn off the "super bounding box" as you select multiple objects. I have to agree that this is not a change for the good, in general, though it does give you a clue if you've selected somethng off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - definitely not a change for the good. Or rather, not good since I can't turn it on/off at will. Illustrator's had the same function for ages, but you've always been able to turn it on or off as you need it.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to write a little plugin to add that functionality? Anyone...?

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to remove the bounding box. I was looking so hard I did not see it. Thanks to you my eyes were opened. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you noticed that those objects that are really selected have the corners of their individual bounding boxes highlighted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I've been looking for this as well. I hate it! I took the plug in out, with illustrator, because for me it was very annoying. Now I have to deal with it in Indesign CS5. Is there no way to turn this thing off???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The only thing I can suggest is holding down the H key or some other tool key shortcut.

The frame edge highlighting only works with the selection tools active.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we make a request change for CS6 then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go for it:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&promoid=EWQQL

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, this is a different thread than you remember (perils of email). This one is about the "super bounding box" you get around a selection of several ungrouped objects. Not sure the answer you gave is relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's ok. I did make a request in the enhancements link I got from Bob to be able to

allow user control with the super bounding box. Just have to deal with it in the mean time. Hope Adobe changes this

though. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops...off to sit in the corner.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!!  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Get rid of that dreaded Transformation bounding box in InDesign go to Preferences>Interface>uncheck the

SHOW TRANSFORMATION field.

Happy days !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's something different, too. Show Transformation Values controls the callout that shows the cahnging values as you transform a frame, not the bounding box around multiple selected items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Transformation Values isn't it. This is a path that appears when you have more than one object selected. It was designed to allow a user to resize multiple objects without having to group them. It's called a bounding box in Illustrator. I don't know what it's call in Indesign. The only thing I know is this option was forced on us users as a convience thing and there are some of us who hate it. Me included. There isn't any way currently to shut it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to turn it off in InDesign CS5.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read the thread you would see that there isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought this thread was about CS 5. I wonder if it is possible to turn it off in the recent upgrade to CS 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, didn't see that sorry, have a look at this post here, it doesn't say so although it does show how you can now turn off frame edge highlighting, perhaps ask in the comments there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can be disabled in 5.5 with a new user preference.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

Yes, it can be disabled in 5.5 with a new user preference.

Bob

Bob, are you sure? I know you're still recovering from the weekend and answering by email, so maybe you don't remember that this thread is about the "super" bounding box that gets drawn around multiple selected objects as you click on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines