Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple click boxes on the same slide. Failure captions enabled. captivate 4

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am hoping someone will be able to help me.  I am using Captivate 4 to create a learning case study.  Basically, I have a range of areas a user will need to click before they are able to move/ continue to the next slide.

I have recorded the slide as a video so each time the user clicks on the correct box the slide continues to play and then the slide will pause until the user clicks he second click box etc. As this is a learning activity I would like to give the user some handy tips/ point them in the right direction, therefore each time the user clicks on the incorrect click box they are presented with a failure caption. I can get the first click box to present a failure caption but the click boxes following this will not display a failure caption despite having this option ticked in it's preferences.

Does anyone have any handy tips/ ideas how to solve this?

Thanks!

Jodie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community Jodie

Let's break it down to the simplest parts.

With a Click Box, if the user clicks the actual Click Box area, it is considered to be a success. Therefore a Success caption should be presented to the user. Assuming, of course, that the Success caption has been enabled and the Click Box is behaving properly. If the user clicks *ANYWHERE* outside the Click Box area, it is deemed to be a failure. And likewise, a Failure caption should be presented. Again, given the parameters I listed earlier.

I'm probably misunderstanding as I haven't ingested my daily requirement of caffeine yet. But you seem to be saying that you have perhaps four or five Click Boxes, but only one is really the correct one?

If so, I'm assuming you are using the "Correct" captions to indicate the failure?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for responding.

Basically I have a set of steps the user needs to carry out in order to be able to move onto the new slide. for example the user need to click box 1 to reveal a drop down and then box 2 to select a page etc, so there are multiple steps a user needs to click, each box will be correct. If the user click outside of all the click boxes I need the failure caption to appear to inform the user that they are clicking on the incorrect area.

I can get the first failure box to launch (when you user clicks outside the click box), but not the other click boxes. It seems that captivate is only picking up the first click box faliure.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Jodie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem and have used two options to solve it:

1. Spread the activity over a number of slides (ugly, but it works).

2. Use Actions to Show/Hide elements on the screen.  Instead of using the canned feedback mechanism, I tell the click box to "show x element" when clicked.  The timeline advances to the next clickbox.

I've noticed that Captivate needs space between multiple click boxes on one slide.  Try not to overlap buttons and clickboxes in your timeline.

Hope that helps.  Lots of info on Actions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Option 1 will work but ideally I wanted to avoid spreading the action over multiple slide.  I do not think point 2 will work well with what I need to do as I need the failure caption to appear when the user clicks on the wrong area not on the actual click box.

Thanks

Jodie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you layer click boxes, so you have a large "incorrect" and a smaller "correct" and show/hide accordingly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jodie

If you want all this on a single slide, I'm guessing a few things.

The slide is a full motion slide? So in this case I'm thinking that you might have multiple Click Boxes, but you will need to stagger them on the Timeline. You won't want them all beginning at the same time. So perhaps the first Click Box (The first correct area to be clicked) appears and pauses the slide just before the action for the "correct". Then the second Click Box would appear. And so on. This way they are all separated in time. If they all begin at the same time, the stacking order is probably coming into play and preventing the subsequent failures from appearing.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My click boxes are staggered as below:

Click box 1 - Start: 0.0 Finish: 0.8

Click box 2 - Start: 1.1 Finish: 1.8

Click box 3 - Start: 5.7 Finish 7.2

Click box 4 - Start: 8.8 Finish 10.4

Click box 5 - Start: 11.8 Finish 13.0

So I don't think the issue is the straggering on the timeline, any other suggestions?

Thanks heaps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I stumbled across this thread, as I am having the same issue.

I'm going to write it off as another @#(%#@ Captivate 4 bug to go along with the numerous others I work around every day.

I have two click boxes set up staggered on timeline, and it's the EXACT same issue.  If the user clicks outside the box on the first one, it works perfectly, but on the second it does not work at all.  The click boxes themselves are set up to show/hide various assets on the screen.

I'll just have to put hte second set on another slide.  What a pain.

Did you manage to find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I upgraded to Captivate 5 in the end, although there are still a few bugs in 5 it is better than 4.  I did discover when using 5 that I had the same problem with the click boxes, after spending copious amounts of time trying to get multiple click boxes on the page I finally found a solution.  I moved all click boxes to the tops of their time lines (example image beow), can you believe it was as easier as that?!  All click boxes worked as they should, failure captions the lot.  I did find that sometimes overloading the page confuses things for Captivate, so I put a maximum of 3 click boxes per slide. Try that in Captivate 4, not sure if it will work but worth a try.  I would be interested if this solution also works in 4, let me know.

Timeline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I tried putting 5 click boxes on the same slide such that thier start or end timings does not overlap with one another and it worked fine.

wrt your comment "I upgraded to Captivate 5 in the end, although there are still a few bugs in 5 it is better than 4."

I would like to know the issues that you are still facing after upgrading to cp5.

Regards,

Vikranth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources