Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Changing p0 to inches

Aug 17, 2010 6:37 AM

How do I change the p0 in the document set up to inches? I already tried changing in the preferences, but it reverts back to the p0 which I don't even know what that is.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2010 6:43 AM   in reply to djliefer

Welcome to the world of graphic design. First time visitor, are you? "p0" is nothing -- it's "0p0", and that stands for zero pica's and zero pica points.

The online help for "measurement units" answers your question: http://indesignsecrets.com/change-measurement-systems-on-the-fly.php

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to djliefer

p is picas and points. 2p would be 2 picas. 2p6 is 2 picas, 6 points. There are 12 pts in a pica.

Open a new ID doc, click in the ruler at the top and right click. Convert to inches. Click in the ruler along the left side, right click and convert to inches. This should now be your new default setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 7:09 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

Just righ click in the upper left corner of the rulers. You'll get 'em both.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 8:12 AM   in reply to djliefer

To change your default unts:

Close all open documents.

Open InDesign Preferences

Go to Units & Increments

Set Horizontal and Vertical Ruler Units to desired option (such as Inches)

Click OK

That will set your units for all future documents.

Existing documents will have to be changed when opened.

Personally, I use Points, set to 72 pts per inch. I feel I have more control over object size and placement.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 8:55 AM   in reply to djliefer

I do not use picas, so I cannot comment on how useful they would be. 6p0 would be equivalent to 1 inch, or 72 points.

I use points beacuse:

• It is the same unit of measure for the text (font size in points)
    • At 72 points per inch, it is roughly equivalent to the pixel resolution on images (72 pixels per inch).
    • I can adjust things by points, where each point equals 0.01389 inches. It is easier to adjust by adding 1 or more points than by large decimals of inches, even though the dialog boxed can do the math for you.
      • If you need to set something as a scale in inches, you can still enter that number into any field, and the field will convert it for you,
      • Enter 1.25 in, and you get 90 points.

Still, it is my personal preference. It is not the only way to do things.

-mt

PS: When you set the preference using the rules, you are setting the document preference. Though, each ruler can be different.  For instance you can have inches vertical and picas horizontal.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 10:57 AM   in reply to djliefer

You can leave your document as Pica for the measurement.

When you create a new documeent simply type in

8.5 inches

10 inches

and it will convert to the pica equivalent.

That's fine. You can then use Picas as the ruler.

I used to do all my measurements in picas but I found that others couldn't use them so I reverted to millimeters.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

In fact - you can type in any measurement anywhere

Say if you are using inches as you're ruler and you want to move the X Co-ord a fraction of an inch.

You can simply type into the X Cords in the top right which will read say 4 in - after this type in "+1p"

Which will move the selected item 0.166 of an inch, your new coord will be 4.166

And you can do that with loads of things in indesign, simply add, substract, divide using "+", "-", "*", "/" anywhere where a numerical meaurement is used, and use any measurement available.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 3:40 PM   in reply to MT.Freelance

a thousand thanks, that's been bugging me for forever.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to MT.Freelance

awesome...thanks, MT.Freelance -- you're the only one who ACTUALLY answered the question. All the rest of you art-**** talkin' about picas where missing the point.

After closing all docs, I was finally able to change the preference -- (BTW: that seems like a bug)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to cakeholio

It is not a bug, though at first glance it may seem to be.

With no documents open, changing the preference sets the new preference for

future documents without altering any existing documents without your

direct intervention..

With a document open, changing the preference affects ONLY the open

document without chancing your workspace.

So, if you prefer to work in Pica's and have a one-off project that demands

the file be delivered in mm, you can change the document without impacting

your personal workspace.

It may seem like a hassle to work the preferences this way, but I believe

it gives more control to the designer.

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to MT.Freelance

It's not a bug, it's by design.

I love this behaviour. I set up everything to my taste long ago; now when I create a new document, I have sensible defaults assigned to virtually every fuction. Much better than creating a template or something and having to open that every time!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to djliefer

I hope Adobe gets a clue that designers are not using PICA rulers and setting type anymore! This has got to be one of THE most frustrating things they've ever done to designers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Carol Nix

You'd be surprised.

It's a default and is easily changed. In fact, you could have done it faster than posting here.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

For additional information on specifying measurements, see Rulers & Measurement Units help article. The article also contains a table with examples on how to specify values using non-default units.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to djliefer

Please run the InDesign application and do not create any new document and go to Preferences>>>Units & Increments and set the  unit as inches  in Horizontal and  Vertical fields and press ok , from now onward you will get inches by default in the new document set up window

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to Carol Nix

+100 on the fact that I haven't come across someone using picas since 1998. It's an all but dead measurement system.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to jpinc

Consider the professional benefits of knowing and using the Pica (and its sub-unit, points) measurement system:

1. PostScript computer drawing language is founded on Picas/Points at 6 picas per inch / 12 points per pica / 72 points per inch. Therefore, all the math within InDesign is most accurate at its native measurement system.

2. Bear in mind that this electronic-era Pica/Point system is different (slightly, at 72.27 points to the inch) from the Pica system of metal typesetting days.

3. Why use it if North Americans are born and raised on inches? Why use it if Europeans are familiar with the metric system? (And I'm not trying to define all parts of the globe ... this is just a rough illustration.) The main benefit is the simplicity of math that is based on sixes and twelves as opposed to twos and fours (inches) and tens (metric). A unit of measure based on sixes and twelves can easily be divided by 2, 3, and 4. This makes a tri-fold brochure or a three-column newsletter easier to measure. Ask yourself: Have you ever measured a third of an inch? Likely No! Imperial inches often bring you to fractions like 11/32. Can you type that into a dialog box field easily? No! Can you divide an 8.5 x 11 inch page easily into thirds without painful repeating decimal inches. No again! Can you even calculate that in your head? My experience says no, you cannot. But it is all easy, whole numbers when you use Picas.

4. Professionals in the printing and graphic design industry in the US where I live commonly work in Picas/Points and are natively comfortable with inches, too. Maybe you should consider the two to be close cousin measurement systems, affording simple math advantages sometimes in one; sometimes in the other. It is trivial in at least two ways to change the measurement system of any document: Either right-click the ruler's Zero point, or type the explicit measurement system into a dialog box field. There is even a shortcut for it (Cmd+Opt+Shift+U, I think.)

I have to comment on the claim that you haven't come across picas since 1998. As the native measurement system of all PostScript Adobe software, it is certainly not dead. It is a reborn innovation. The fact that many aren't using it simply indicates the enormous paucity of education in our industry. With the 1980s, many seasoned folks retired when computers came along. The next generations were mainly self-taught, and this has left big experience gaps for us all to re-discover.

Next time you encounter Picas/Points, give them a hug, why don't you?!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Another advantage of learning and using picas which I like to teach my students. It's much easier to do quick calculations.

You need to add 1-5/8" to 3-7/8". Bet you can't do that in your head. Yes, we learned fractions in grade school but most people still have problems with them.

But if you have something that's 5p3 wide and you need to add 1p2. I bet you can do that one more easily. With picas, you're working with integers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points