Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing PDF Forms and text overflow

New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am not that familiar with Adobe Acrobat, but we have a user that is using it to create a form for an application for employment.  HR was trying to print off the document that an applicant filled out but the text was "bigger" than the box that was designed.  So not all the text is included when printing of the document.  What can the user do to create a form that will print everything off without text being truncated. There are using the Mac version of Adobe Acrobat (I believe either V8 or 9).  Is there any settings, or third party plug-ins that would allow an applicant to fill out the data to thier hearts content and make it printable? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, you need to redesign the form so that you can make the text boxes as big as you need them to be so that all of the typed in text is visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus the need to go to properties on each field and set font to specific size (9pt is ideal) rather than automatic. Automatic allows font to grow larger or smaller depending up what text is in the field and field size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make the text shrink, but that results in an ugly application form. You can make the fields be multi-line, but if the field size is to small it still will not print. To make the fields grow in size to accommodate the text, you need to use a Designer-based form. The construction of such forms requires the PC version of Acrobat. What I generally do, is make a multiline field, but in the back of the file, I have a list of the fields created so that the size of the box is large enough to account for any content. So while the front of the file may be cut-off, the rest of the response will be available at the back of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows XP, Adobe Pro 9 and LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2....

I have the same problem as the original poster of this problem.  That is, when I create a form with flowable text, the form truncates the print on those particular text fields.  The fields will allow for a much data as we can type into them and it will but a scroll bar on the right side of the form so I can scroll through the text.  I just can't print it all.

Can someone please tell me exactly what I have to do to get the form field to expand to display ALL text in the field and to print ALL text?

Thanks,

Shirlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wilkisa wrote:

Can someone please tell me exactly what I have to do to get the form field to expand to display ALL text in the field and to print ALL text?

Thanks,

Shirlene

Mike has already told you. You need to use Form Designer (PC only).

Or you could do what I mentioned and make the form fields big enough to contain all the possible information that the user would add. Just like you would if you were making a form to be filled out by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Mike has already told you. You need to use Form Designer (PC only).

Or you could do what I mentioned and make the form fields big enough to contain all the possible information that the user would add. Just like you would if you were making a form to be filled out by hand."

I am not trying to be difficult but your answer, graffiti, is condescending and snotty.  First of all, I gave all of the pertinent information regarding the software I am using on my PC right up front so no one would have to wonder what I have.  I am using LiveCycle Designer to create Adobe forms; that is what it is designed to do. Making the form field "big enough" is not a good solution for a program as robust as LiveCycle is.

Second, if you Google "adobe form designer" it will give you a link to Adobe's solution:  use LiveCycle Designer.  I also searched Adobe.com for Form Designer and this is a product that doesn't exist; again, Adobe recommends using Adobe Pro 9 or LiveCycle Designer.

All I want to know is what setting/format/modification do I need to make to allow flowable text fields when I create a form in LiveCycle.  I don't think I am asking too much from anyone.  If you don't know the answer or can't answer it civilly, don't respond at all.

Shirlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shirlene,

LiveCycle Designer has its own forum. Please repost your question there. You accidentally posted in the Acrobat Macintosh forum. The Mac version of Acrobat does not come with the Designer software 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't realize I was in the wrong forum so I will go there and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wilkisa wrote:

First of all, I gave all of the pertinent information regarding the software I am using on my PC right up front so no one would have to wonder what I have.

Shirlene

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound rude.

But I don't see where you mention LiveCycle Designer or even that you are on a Windows machine plus this is a Mac forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Graffiti

Yes, in my original post, the very first sentence was "I am using Windows XP, Adobe Pro 9 and LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2...." which I thought would be helpful to whomever replied.

I, too, am sorry because I didn't realize I was in a MAC forum; I found the link when I Googled my problem and it was exactly the same problem my user was having.  MichaelKazlow has already pointed me in the direction of the Windows forum.

I thank you for your efforts in trying to help me...in the future, I will pay closer attention to the forum I am in and that should eliminate the frustration for both of us. 

Thanks,

Shirlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I apologize again. My eyes skipped right over that part. Now that you mentioned it, it pratically jumps out and slaps me.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines