Skip navigation
shelley_3
Currently Being Moderated

Updated Acrobat Pro to 8.2.4 Now it will not launch.

Aug 19, 2010 4:32 PM

I just updated my Acrobat 8 Pro to 8.2.4 and I get an error message that says

"Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 cannot be launched at this time. You must launch at least one other suite component . . . "

I am on a Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon running OS 10.6.4.  I use Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium, which is activated for the computer I use.

I have never had this problem when updating Acrobat before. What does it mean by "you must launch at least one other suite component  . . ."? I opened Photoshop CS3 but that did not solve this.

What is the solution? How can I get Acrobat Pro to work?

Thanks for any help.

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2010 4:58 PM   in reply to shelley_3

I am having the same issue. I am also running OS 10.6.4, on an 8-core Intel Xeon Mac Pro. I recently migrated to the new Mac Pro from a PowerPC G5. Everything was working fine until the Acrobat 8.2.4 upgrade. I even checked to make sure my version of Creative Suite was still activated and registered.

Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 5:02 PM   in reply to shelley_3

At the risk of a 'me too,' I regret it's broken here too on two Macs, duly licensed. Tried the solutions listed elsewhere for licensing failures, but nada. This is a new snafu. Thanks a lot Adobe! The fix had better be simple and none of that 'uninstall' and re-install nonsense. If it is, I suggest sending an invoice to Adobe for our time. I appreciate the efforts to keep software ticking, but these kinds of disruptions are totally unwelcome and huge time-suckers, and costly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 5:23 PM   in reply to shelley_3

MeToo: quad G4, 10.5.8, CS3 etc. rest still works, or at least they launch. Sloppy.

peter

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 5:40 PM   in reply to shelley_3

10.6.4 with latest Apple Graphics Update from this week, Acrobat 8 Std, Mac Mini (mid 2010).  Same issue, same error message about starting another CS3 app first. Does not work although it seems it hasn't affected CS3 itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 6:23 PM   in reply to shelley_3

I am with you guys/gals...running a pretty full suite of Adobe products, and Acrobat Pro quits after 8.2.4 upgrade...hope we get an answer soon. Tried Photoshop and Illustrator to get Acrobat to open, but no such luck.

On a Macbook PRO Core2Duo, running OSX 10.6.4

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 7:30 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Hi everybody,

I was able to come up with a fix, although it may not help everybody. I used Time Machine and went back today to before the update and replaced the 8.2.4 version of Acrobat with the 8.2.3 version. Like I said, probably won't help everyone, but if you are using Time Machine, it works!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2010 9:35 PM   in reply to shelley_3

i've got the same problem. could use acrobat 8 for creating a pdf in word, but it was might slow. my only workaround is to use 7. hope there's a fix soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:15 AM   in reply to shelley_3

I've go the same problem too. Once I updated, it could not work. I tried something that was suggested for the same error message but with earlier versions of Acrobat. I moved folders 'Acrobat', 'Acrobat PCD' and 'Acrobat PDF'  from Library/Application Support/Adobe to my desktop and launched Acrobat again. This time, it asked me to re-enter my serial number but strangely, it REJECTED my serial number....

Adobe, you've created this problem, I hope you fix it ASAP...this is seriously hampering my capacity to work!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:15 AM   in reply to shelley_3

I am having the same problem after running the new update.

This has halted our production today, when we rang adobe for support on the issue we got blown off.

Told to either pay an additional $39.95 for a support pack or just find the issue on their help website, which I can't find a solution to.

I am glad we pay for our software and after we trust adobe to have correct updates we get no solution to the problem...well done adobe!!!!

I am very very annoyed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to buzzmonkey

Hello there,

Adobe is aware of this issue working on a solution. I'll update this thread as soon as I know what this solution is.

At the moment the only solution is to go back to 8.2.3.

Furthermore I'd like to apologise for this mishap. It should not have happened.

If you have paid to get support for this issue please contact Customer Services to get a refund.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 3:49 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Hi

Add me to the list of users plagued with Adobeitis.

Like Bryan Rodgers I used TM to recover 8.2.3. Assuming this is still functioning Bryan perhaps you will be kind enough to tell us of any tweaks you had yo make, like trashing ‘plist’ etc.

The first launch of 8.2.3 went the same way as 8.2.4, then all was well. For a little while.

Then it was back to square one, even launching from within Bridge, i.e. clicking on a PDF, only resulted on a very brief appearance of Acrobat and then reappearance of the warning message.

UPDATE:

I seem to have resolved my TM Recovery problems by deleting the Folder in Applications/Adobe CS3 Master Collection/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional.

Placing the recovered Folder in it’s place and having previously dragged the various ‘com.adobe.Acrobat.???.plist files to the Desktop.

Several files have been loaded and Acrobat quitted and restarted several time and all is still OK.

Hopefully the ‘solution’ will materialise soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 4:22 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Hi same problem here

overcome by show package contents on app then  copying the Frameworks,MacOS and Resources folders from back up or another copy (not upgraded) and trashing all acrobat plist also did - com.adobe.CSXSPreferences.plist

I did it this way as i have a lot of plugs for our workflow.

Hope it works for everybody else

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 4:29 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Another user plagued with this problem after the update.

The update said "This update is recommended by Adobe" and at that point I had second thoughts... you know how it is with the workflow and customer deadlines.

Looking for a very fast solution from Adobe now to avoid have to mess around in the system files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 5:11 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Same issue here. Have tried the old method of moving the Acrobat, Adobe PCD and Adobe PDF folders, but Acrobat won't take the CS3 serial number, so we're pretty much stuffed until a proper fix is in place.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 5:52 AM   in reply to shelley_3

On to helpline they don’t even know about issue. No help whats so ever. More intrested in getting me to upgrade to 9. Not on

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:23 AM   in reply to shelley_3

I thought I have been able to repair my installation after my earlier post.  But it involved an uninstall of Acrobat 8 and reinstall.  I initially tried using Adobe Updater to update but ran into a problem updating to 8.1.3.  So I downloaded all the update patches from Adobe's downloads/update page and applied them manually.  Takes some time doing them one at a time but I successfully updated Acrobat to 8.2.4 and it launched correctly.  (EDITED)

Oh boy, spoke too soon.  Acrobat 8 launches ok but will only keep a PDF open for a very few seconds before the error message

"Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot be launched at this time. You must launch at least one other suite component (such as Adobe Photoshop) before launching Acrobat 8 Professional."

I of course tried this but still cannot make Acrobat stay open.  If I don't open a PDF and keep Acrobat running, it'll stay running.  Open a PDF by either File>Open menu or by double-clicking will open the PDF, keep it open for few seconds, show the above error and shut down when I click OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to Wise-Fort Wayne Prepress

According to the Japanese TechNote,

Please start the installer of Creative Suite 3, and reinstall only Acrobat 8 Professional in the superscription (The installer is in Adobe Installers in the utility folder).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:27 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Same problem here.  Normally I wait to do updates until other people have been the guinea pigs for the latest updates, but this one was identified as a security update so I figured I best update.

Clearly that was a mistake.

Security update or not, I'll have to stick with my normal update hesitance in the future.

This is really a pain...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:33 AM   in reply to Norio Kawamura

I just found a copy of 8.2.3 in an applications folder of a SuperDupered back-up.

Thought I'd try a cheap and dirty solution so renamed the 'live' Acrobat (in my live Applications folder) "Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.2.4" and copied the backed-up 8.2.3 version to sit alongside it. Then copied the 8.2.4 version to some off-line storage, trashed it from my applications folder and gave it a go.

Currently all working OK on 8.2.3, for at the moment at least. I'll watch this thread to see if there's a proper fix (and try to remember not to allow the auto-update in the meantime).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to shelley_3

We're all in the same boat -- I'm not certain if this is an exploit / hack or administrative error, but my license number for the Acrobat 8.2.4 is not mine -- someone else's. The company name reads "Mac Vegas"  -- anyone else able to check their Acrobat License and confirm that it's the same company or another altogether?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:44 AM   in reply to EchDuane

Mine reads similarly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:46 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Same problem. Running intel G4 os 10.8.4 but with a split package of CS3 and CS4 (pshop, ai, dreamweaver & flash being CS4).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:49 AM   in reply to SimonATS

Can we have the update quickly please? I also have the same problem. While I can use Preview for some things, I'm in the middle of a project where I need to use Acrobat Professional.

Ditto the others, I am also running 10.6.4.

RR

Message was edited by: rarubio2

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to EchDuane

Same issue here, won't launch after update. Running Mac OS 10.5.8 on MacPro. My copy also reads Mac Vegas.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:02 AM   in reply to EchDuane

"Mac Vegas" in program info window here as well, but also on another Mac with Acrobat Pro 8.2.3. Looks like that "Mac Vegas" thing happened with a previous update.

Regards

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:02 AM   in reply to EchDuane

"Mac Vegas" here too.

Unlike the others, I'm still on 10.4.11.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:08 AM   in reply to dcrinnert

Yes, just looked on my laptop which has 8.2.3 that hadn't been updated and "Mac Vegas" there too.

Just switched off automatic updates in preferences, and told my friends to do the same . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:36 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Same problem on multiple Mac OS versions.  Successfully dragged Acrobat application (only) from clone with version 8.1.5 installed, launched Acrobat without problems.  Didn't remove any prefs or alter any other installations files.  So, if you have a clone or backup of a previous version, simply delete the 8.2.4 Acrobat folder from your applications and copy in the backup and launch.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:43 AM   in reply to solutions - CTS

great solution. I got an older version out of time travel. The first 

time the updater launched & crashed Acrobat, after that it seems to be 

working fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:50 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Ditto. Same update, same error message, and a job that needs proofing before Monday... OS X 10.6.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Can confirm :Mac Vegas."

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 8:57 AM   in reply to stephanie_xxx

Excellent !!  The "Mac Vegas" thing has been going on (off and on) through multiple versions for years.  This is why I turn off Adobe auto-update on all of my client's stations.  I've seen this kind of stuff many times before.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 9:01 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Hi Everyone.

Add one more to the list. I'm extremely p.o.'d. I also need to get some things done in Acrobat. Not only will it not stay open and I get the same error message, it also crashes when I need to use it inside of Safari to read PDFs. What gives Adobe????HELP!!!!!

I'm on an iMac running OS10.5.8. I also usually wait for others to test an update, but could find no posts when I checked and since it was a security issue, went ahead and updated to Acrobat 8.2.4. I unfortunately do not update my programs with backup, so no go there.

We need a patch, Adobe, and we need it yesterday.

Hang in there everybody. At least it's comforting to know that we're in this together.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Me too! Hurry up and fix it Acrobat!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 9:58 AM   in reply to gelphyn

Hello,

I did not need to delete any preference files. It seems to be working so far, but I haven't done anything too extensive yet. I have to work on a project today, so if it fails I will pass that information along.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 10:00 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Hi All,

In reference to the Mac Vegas thing, I am pretty sure that is just the developer group name. It has been on the suite products for some time, since CS2 I'm pretty sure. Again, if you have a backup of the previous Acrobat, try replacing the updated one. I think you can also, as someone suggested earlier, just re-install Acrobat from your Suite discs. Certainly worth a try.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 11:19 AM   in reply to Bryan Rodgers

Hi,

just checked an outdated Mac installation with V. 8.1.1: program info window states "Mac Vegas" license and serial no., too. Seems to be a very old issue and not related to the current update problem.

Regards

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to shelley_3

When I last checked the updater was still available for manual download (although I'm not sure about the a

utomatic download).  Can't Adobe at least spare some folks the hell we are going through?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 11:42 AM   in reply to Bryan Rodgers

Just a quick note to agree with Bryan Rodgers. I got my original CS3 DVD and reinstalled Acrobat Pro 8.0, then downloaded/installed each of the Pro updates one by one until I got Acrobat Pro back to the un-screwed 8.2.3. Back to normal again. (And have turned off auto-update in Prefs, too.) Thanks for the tips, everyone. Hope Adobe figures this out soon.

FYI, am running OS X 10.5.8 on a Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core Xeon.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points