• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I delete the Photoshop Temp File For Good? (PS CS 4)

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a problem on my PC. Since This Saturday if gives me the error "Unable to complete because Disks full..."

I've read every blog/forum and even called the photoshop call centre without any help...

Some of the solutions I've tried are these:

- Deleted all my Temp files (as I normally do every week)

- Defragmented all my Hard Drives (done every week)

- Removed all unused Software

- Bought and installed a new Hard Drive (1 TB) to use as storage for this Temp File

- Cleared All Cache & Cookies on my browers

- Increased Photoshop Memory usage to 70%

- Unistalled Photoshop (Shutdown PC) then re-installed it and the Temp File is still there and it's much bigger than before

Basically I've tried everything I could.

What happens is that this Photoshop Temp 12389772616 file (44.6 gigs & increasing) can only be seen when Photoshop is active or running and cannot be deleted in those circumstances. When Photoshop is closed it Vanishes as well. I just don't know what else to do on this matter. When I re-allocate this so called Virtual File/Drive to another hard drive, Photoshop slows down and crashes even more...I was thinking of Buying the New Photoshop CS 5 but I'm now NOT willing to take that risk though it has served me well for a year until now.

NB QUESTION: Is there a way I can reduce the size of this Virtual File (Temp File) or Delete it Completely?

My PC Specs are:

Processor - Dual Core (2.3 GHz)

Operating System - Windows 7

Hard Drive Space - 1 TB, 500 GB and 250 GB x2 (Space is not an issue)

Graphics - G-Force 8800 (512 MB) with GPU (PCI Express)

Can anyone please help me or guide me on how to go about this mess?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Mo2Base wrote:

But then I still find a problem when opening a new document that is (1000 x 1000 and above). Photoshop either gives me the same "...scratch disks full" or it simply lags and doesn't open. I've assigned one of my Physical hard drives to handle this virtual memory/ drive instead of my C:/ drive

Just to clarify; is your Primary Scratch disk, as nominated in Edit > Preferences > Performance an Internal drive? If so, what space is available on it?

Is the RAM allocation within the "Ideal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are describing is quite normal.

Photoshop always creates a Scratch file when you start the program and deletes it when Photoshop is closed properly.

The Scratch file size is based on recent usage and often goes up in the GB range.

Try opening a few small files in PS and the next time you start PS the Scratch file should be much smaller. Repeat if necessary.

You should not select an external drive as the primary scratch disk unless it has a high speed connection – ie not USB2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As John says, the Scratch Disk TMP file is created automatically, and PS needs that.

Now, if you have several, from other dates, those CAN be Deleted to clear space. PS should clean up after itself, even with a systemic crash, but I've found a few of the old guys hanging around. This happened more often with older versions of the program

Sounds like it's time to get more HDD space. If you add a new physical HDD, and direct your Scratch Disks to that, you should also see a speed increase of doing most operations.

It is also bad practice to fill up a HDD to much above 70%. Bad things can be waiting just around the corner.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much...

I tried what John said and it works. That 44.6 Gig file has reduced to about 31 MB.

But then I still find a problem when opening a new document that is (1000 x 1000 and above). Photoshop either gives me the same "...scratch disks full" or it simply lags and doesn't open. I've assigned one of my Physical hard drives to handle this virtual memory/ drive instead of my C:/ drive which has about 12.8 Gigs left...Could that be the problem? Funny thing is that I can open a photo which is (2000 x 2000 and above) without any errors but not a blank document.

Hope I'm not asking for too much. I just want to make sure that I get it right so that I go back to the days where I would simply  open Photoshop without any hustles or restrictions in document size.

So far your tips have worked, if you can help me with this one I'll be very grateful

Message was edited by: Mo2Base

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mo2Base wrote:

But then I still find a problem when opening a new document that is (1000 x 1000 and above). Photoshop either gives me the same "...scratch disks full" or it simply lags and doesn't open. I've assigned one of my Physical hard drives to handle this virtual memory/ drive instead of my C:/ drive

Just to clarify; is your Primary Scratch disk, as nominated in Edit > Preferences > Performance an Internal drive? If so, what space is available on it?

Is the RAM allocation within the "Ideal Range" recommended in Edit > Preferences > Performance ?

Slow file opening may be due to the default printer. This is a known bug and has been reported many times in the forum.

The solution, weird as it sounds, is to make a generic printer driver your default printer. If you don't have one, download it here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=pdrv&platform=win

I hope some of ths helps.

Oh yes, and try resetting your preferences (again) as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks once again John for the response

Yes, the hard drive is Internal and has about 60 Gigs free... I chose to use that because I thought the C:\ Drive was the one acting up

I've downloaded the printer set-up file and will try it as soon as I get home. I'll try to reset the pref file as well and see what happens...

I'll keep you posted...Don't give up on me yet...I thought I knew it all until now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my CS5 behaves quite different than the OP's. With PS closed, the scratch is empty. I open PS, the scratch says 32,736 KB, not many MB. I open a 60M file, the scratch says 378 MB. I close the file and the scratch remains the same. I close PS, the folder is empty. I open PS and the scratch says 32 736 KB. It does not open automatically to some large number, based on the last size of the scratch.

Does CS4 behave differently?

Also, what is in that file when you first open PS? 32KB (or whatever the number is) of what?

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I'm saying this for the last time...

IT FINALLY WORKS! *crying tears of joy*

Thank you so much John...

I guess CS5 does behave differently from the CS4 @Hudechrome but I'm clueless...One thing for sure, I'm getting CS5. With people around to help I'm sure when I come across problems a solution will be there

Thanks once again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you are back in business!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines