Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

[locked] Professionalism on the Photoshop Windows Forum

Aug 22, 2010 12:29 AM

Latest reply: Zeno Bokor, Aug 22, 2010 12:30 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2010 11:30 AM   in reply to John Joslin

The internets have been changing and those that left likely found a better use of their time. Some may have monetized their knowledge by becoming authors/trainers. Some may have simply realized that YouTube, Lynda and the like have become a much more useful venue for graphic learning than this forum limited to text and still pictures.

The exodus was not just due to the change in forum software. Forum hosts changed a bit. Cliques were shaken up a bit.

The attitude has certainly changed here. We can find many old posts where people admitted to being intimidated from posting here. They were afraid of some of the unprofessional behavior coming from people offering professional advice. Those intimidating regular posters are now managed with 'report abuse' links and a very loose registration system is now more welcoming to elementary posters (and too welcoming of spammers).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:43 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

"intimidating regular posters are now managed with 'report abuse' links."

Marian you tried that three times with me and not one of your complaints held up. You're so full of yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:51 PM   in reply to Bart Cross

I'm not sure what you are talking about but if I complained about one of your posts and the moderators found no offense, what is your problem? Or are you upset that the moderators failed to censor something you are not proud of?  You are more than welcome to censor yourself.

I'm full of no one. Please do not hold me responsible for your nuttiness. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:57 PM   in reply to Bart Cross

Bart the Intimidator: Has a nice 15th century ring to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to dec9

Not only are the experts missing, the fun has gone too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 2:27 PM   in reply to dec9

The Intimidator is one of the key components that got the Trail Blazers the NBA Championship.(If you hafta look for it, you are too young! )

Don't dis the Intimidator!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 2:31 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Well I still wuv me!

How's that for intimidatin'?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 3:09 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll
    • Some of them vowed not to purchase more Adobe software because of grudges or disinterest in useless bells and whistles found in newer releases. Some never upgraded to Intel Macs and have fallen out of relevance with modern software.

• Some of those that left were themselves intolerant of others' viewpoints.

• Some of those that left were more photographers than photo editors. You might see them on photography forums now. One major issue they had was a change in the forum policy that granted Adobe rights to any image that they would post here.

• And most importantly, and relevant to this topic, some were kicked for unprofessional behavior.

• and some of them very sadly re-registered under false names.

I think my perception of the forums is that they seem to be better than they were a few years ago.

The way I used to see it, and I could be wrong, is that there were certain very heavy posters who didn't seem to actually know anything of value at all. Certainly nothing that could be filed under the lofty title of "expertise". And unfortunately these very same individuals used to routinely give skewed and prejudicial advice, not aimed at helping anyone out at all. Indeed it seemed more important to condescend almost anyone who dared to pose a question. Not sure if it was connected, but this whole situation got so bad that all Adobe staff stopped contributing for a while. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm talking about all 3 Photoshop forums here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 5:48 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I run like hell from the above!

I really am so grateful that Tektronix hired this young(ish) whippersnapper from Chicago, got him to suspend disbelief long enough to learn something.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

"Some folks" would love to know what posts in particular you might be talking about.

When you posted that C=M=Y would make a neutral gray, I stepped in and told you that was wrong. I didn't respect your opinion or respond out of fear that what I'd read in books might be a solution looking for a problem.

Too many forums are filled with straight bull where no posters step in with the smack down. I, for one, appreciate our little club of overlords.

I find it totally ironic and disingenuous that you bring up the booksellers, when you yourself have plugins for sale that you can't resist dropping into every image you post. Your language reeks of contempt in a post aimed at ratting it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:01 PM   in reply to Reynolds (Mark)

One person in particular would post to a Windows question an answer that was then followed by a disclaimer of any expertise in Windows! And you are right. Call him on it and he became insufferably condescending.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:49 PM   in reply to Gyno-jiz

To address oneself as a software developer who makes plugins for Photoshop is a qualyfier towards future sales: Least that is how I read it. Maybe I am wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 6:51 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

That would be a MAC type, wanna be a Windows person, trying to come out of the closet.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:37 PM   in reply to dec9

You got that right!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 12:17 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

It is not about who knows what and who is right or wrong – it is about attitude.

In the last few weeks not only has the challenge gone out of helping in here, there is a distinct attempt going on to take over the morals and standards of the forum to mould it into a sort of lovey-dovey Photoshop nursery.

Although a Photoshop "professional" is literally someone who makes his living from the product, in fact he has to exhibit more than that in my book. And professionals do not suffer fools gladly – they haven't got the time.

The sad fact is that, when the true professionals nearly all left, I stopped learning anything in here. Except that some people can be incredibly annnoying.

(Footnote: I am not a professional Photoshopper , I am a professional aerospace engineer.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 2:43 AM   in reply to John Joslin

I used to spend a lot of time on the Adobe forums a couple of years ago, but one or two guys seemed to have it in for me. I don't think I deserved it, but I'm biased. In my defence, they seemed to have it in for a lot of people who didn't seem to deserve it either. I stopped coming. Life's too short.

I recently came back to these forums for information and found that these characters had gone. So I've quite happily enjoyed a new period of Adobe forum life. No Good Old Days for me. Manners cost nothing. I enjoy online discussion with polite, helpful, and enlightened souls - it's a much nicer environment to deal with. I enjoy a bit of healthy and sometimes heated debate too, as long as the protagonists play respectfully.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 3:43 AM   in reply to John Joslin
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

John Joslin wrote:

And professionals do not suffer fools gladly – they haven't got the time.

I know lots of IT professionals, and from my personal experience, they are like everyone else:  some are mild-mannered and don't get ruffled easily and some aren't and do.  (Interestingly enough, some of the kindest individuals when you get to know them in person have an uncompromising and confrontational alter-ego in newsgroups and forums!)  Time is not the issue. The most choleric of the experts waste an unbelievable amount of time arguing and exchanging insults.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 3:46 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Some folks seem so completely closed off to alternate ideas that they actively try to suppress others' viewpoints

You're really hung up on this, aren't you?

Some things are open to viewpoints and interpretations and preferences. Nobody's trying to curb any discussions on that.

Other things are just the way things work. They're not open to personal interpretation. There is a right and a wrong answer: it works like this, not like that.

And when someone hands out the wrong answer, others have to step in and blow the whistle. There's no room for niceties and politeness then. We've all been corrected on factual mistakes. We all have to eat it up and move on.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 4:48 AM   in reply to D Fosse-QDEaQ1

As an absolute beginner with PS I have spent many hours reading the forums to answer my queries and pick up ideas.

Upon reading the start of this thread a quotation came to mind...

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 5:29 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

So you are now the self-nominated spokesperson for this forum eh?

<walks off chuckling>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 5:56 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

This forum has a perfectly good moderator.

It is superfluous to try and do his job just because a few people disagree with some of your statements.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 5:58 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Just woke up from a good night's sleep to all this flooding my inbox. Hmmmm, think I'll go back to sleep.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 6:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Keep diggin' son — I'm outa here!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 6:19 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Hey, you woke me up for that?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 7:18 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

You just don't get it, Noel. You yourself assume the role of the greatest authority here.

You do it by the sheer number of posts.

You do it by the fake Photoshop logo in your avatar (which spells it out in case anyone misses the point).

And you do it by missing no opportunity to speak of your "long experience" as a "software engineer", and using that even when you're way out of your depths.

If you or others spread factually wrong information, I will say so. This is nothing personal. I don't care what you do on your own time. I don't care if you like me or not.

I care about what you are telling people.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:18 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Stop pissing on people who do large number of posts. KGLAD, in the flash forum has more posts than all of you combined. He is a tremendous assest to that forum and he freely shares his knowledge and does so with emmense grace. You could all learn from the man.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to D Fosse-QDEaQ1

"There's no room for niceties and politeness then."

Seriously? What's the alternative, harshness? I think not. Politeness and I would inject, diplomacy, is the order of the day.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 12:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I welcome being corrected whenever and wherever I might make a mistake

No you don't, you never do, and that's the whole problem.

That's why we're having this argument.

The CMYK thread was such a glaring faux pas that it doesn't even count. There are numerous other examples where you just dig your heels in and refuse to listen to facts, because you know better with your vast experience. If you want me to quote examples the whole monitor calibration argument is a big lump of them. Take your pick.

You really need to get off your high horse. And that's a fact.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to D Fosse-QDEaQ1

Not true, D. In the exchange where I attempted to run his version of monitor calibration, I came up with results that challenged, or at least, questioned the method with the results I found. Noel went back, re-examined the process and agreed with me.

Noel is assertive, as one should be when the occasion demands it. The best part of being assertive is it injects, when all the factors come to light, a way to test the premise, conjecture theory, whatever. If the information is couched in weasel words, nothing can be concluded except that the deduces are wild.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:36 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Politeness and I would inject, diplomacy, is the order of the day.

Sure, as long as politeness and diplomacy gets through. When it doesn't, you need to take off the gloves.

The main thing is that the ignorance doesn't proliferate.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points