Skip navigation
d_nn_s
Currently Being Moderated

Flash 10.1 makes Flash Lite redundant?

Oct 5, 2009 2:11 AM

Hi everyone.

I've been researching ways to create content for mobile devices.

It seems Flash Lite is a really good option to make both rich applications (stand-alone and internet) for mobile phones specifically.

Flash Lite is what I am developing with right now and I can distribute applications to Windows Mobile and Symbian devices.

Now I've read that Flash 10.1 will be on nearly every new phone out there soon (except iPhone, but who cares).

Does that mean we can develop in Flash (with AS3) for stand-alone applications as well (instead of Flash Lite)?

I've never found any real answers to my questions when I browse the internet about stand-alone applications, a lot seems to be focused on internet applications.

Basically I want to try and figure out what the best method of development would be to create stand-alone applications for mobile phones (any phone except iPhone, although it would be a plus if iPhone could be included ofcourse).

The Openscreenproject is awesome and hopefully leads to a standard (probably including Flash player).

Another thing I found is project Capuchin, where Flash and Java work together to create rich applications.

Flex and AIR look interesting, but will they be interesting enough for mobile development (in the future)?

So to sum it up in a single question:

If I want to develop stand-alone applications and target as many devices as possible, what should I be using now and what should I be using in the near future?

Hope to get some reactions, this is part of my graduation thesis and I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks in advance.

~ Dennis.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2009 10:19 AM   in reply to d_nn_s

Hi Dennis,

At Adobe MAX this year we announced the availability of Flash Player 10.1, showing demos of the player currently in development.  Flash Player is designed to support mobile and desktop web browsers, including WebOS, Android, Symbian, Windows Mobile and netbooks running a mixture of mobile and low powered desktop CPUs.

Today Flash Lite has shipped on over 1.2Billion devices and we expect that this will represent the bulk of devices for the next few years.  We are driving fast distribution and avaialability of Flash 10.1 from our Open Screen Project partners on their device platforms.  The expectation is that we'll see the first of these devices in consumer hands in the first half of 2010.

By it's very nature Flash to iPhone compilation results in native standalone applications, these are built against a subset of the Adobe AIR 2.0 APIs.  Along with Flash Player 10.1 for web browsers we aim to deliver standalone applications with Adobe AIR for devices in the future.  The target is in 2010 although it's still too early to say when exactly, but Android is our platform of focus currently.

Immediate opportunities exist with Flash Lite, and these represent the best opportunity for applications that aim to reach a wide audience.  Remember that Flash also runs as a browser plugin on games consoles, and is available for Wii and PS3.  We are also working toward Flash in the Digital Home with the first Television from Visio arriving very soon.  For the first time we'll be enabling full screen HD video in the home bringing web video to end users in a new context.

To target the widest range of devices it is important to define your market first.  If you are targetting 18-24 year olds then it is important to reach to them through their social sites and target their devices.  It would be useless to target high end Windows Phones because they simply won't own them, and these devices are only widely sold in the USA.

Flash Lite is used for a multitude of use cases, where Flash Player 10.1 is for mobile web browsers.  It is possible to build effective experiences in the browser, just as long as you can deliver this effectively to the user.

Regards,

Mark Doherty

Adobe - Platform Evangelism

www.flashmobileblog.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to mucatron

Hi mucatron,

You wrote : "Remember that Flash also runs as a browser plugin on games consoles, and is available for Wii and PS3. "

Does that mean that Flash 10.1 will run on these platforms too?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 4:34 PM   in reply to d_nn_s

The only phone operating system that I have seen confirmed for flash 10.1 so far has been WebOS. I know there have been rumors for android but havent seen anything confirming it yet for sure. I think it will be a wait and see type of situation to see how phones are going to work with flash. I see it coming when new cell phones come out with those faster processors (snapdragon) so they will actually be able to support it. Unforutanely though theres barely any of those phones out right now other than T-mobiles HD2 and its android twin the Sprint EVO. I think the iphone doesnt want flash because it will lose revenue if those applications are available through places other than its app store.

David

Message was edited by: Steve Howard * ACE *

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 4:36 PM   in reply to Davidrahimi

10.1 is totally confrmed on Andriod, with the release of the beta 10.1 player today for Android 2.2-supporting devices.  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 9:37 AM   in reply to d_nn_s

I can't seem to find any information online comparing Flash 10.1/AIR2 to Flash Lite 3.1 (for Digital Home). I have been tasked making a compelling case for one or the other; I was hoping to find some videos of performance, or even just a white paper comparing features and benchmarks, particularly as it relates to video and graphics performance and memory usage on a 720p screen. Are there any resources out there for this info? Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 4:05 PM   in reply to d_nn_s

d_nn_s wrote:

Thanks Mark,

it's nice to read these things, specially from an Adobe employee. .

Cleared things up for me, Flash Player 10.1 is for web browsers and Flash Lite for standalone applications: check.

I'm looking forward to AIR for devices. Have made some applications for desktop PC's and it's so cool.

Flash Lite is nice. J2ME is powerful, but visually not as attractive (I'm developing with both methods).

AIR should really make things interesting.

Anyway, keep this up. Adobe is doing some great things (Open Screen Project is awesome).

Project Capuchin might also be an option to look into.

Thanks for the info.

~ Dennis.

I am looking forward to Air also. Could you found anything ?

I used J2ME before but unfortunately I didn't like it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points