Skip navigation

Updated Acrobat Pro to 8.2.4 Now it will not launch.

Aug 19, 2010 4:32 PM

Latest reply: vaughnrick, Nov 3, 2010 11:50 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2010 11:51 AM   in reply to shelley_3

I too have fallen into this group of non working Acrobat. I now cannot work, thanks ADOBE! I ususally don't update my acrobat since I really only use it to read files and there's nothing really "new" ever in those updates. Anyhoo, will I get an email when the Adobe employee finds a solution? I do not have the time to go back and fiind older updates or reinstall software.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Same here. Updated without thinking, something I'm usually wary of, and now I'm paying for my foolishness.

Running OS 10.5.8 with CS3 extended.  Now I'm really stuck. How and when will we be notified of the fix I wonder?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:15 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Now when I look at the download page, it says the 8.2.4 upgrade is only for Mac OS X v10.4.11 - 10.5.5. (see http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4767)

I'm running 10.5.8, but yet autoupdate kicked in and told me I needed to install it. Is that part of the problem? We were hoodwinked into installing an unsuitable upgrade for our system software?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to ebmeyer1

It does it with 10.4.11 too.  That's not the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Adobe KB Document: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html

Issue

Macintosh Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 is unable to launch after applying the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update from the auto-update mechanism.

This issue appears only to impact the version of  Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 that is included with the Creative Suite 3.

Solution

Adobe is currently working on a comprehensive solution for Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 but in the meantime has take steps to ensure that more users are not impacted.

As a pro-active step Adobe has done reversal of Mac 8.x manifest and rolled it back to 8.2.3 level. So Acrobat will not update to 8.2.4 automatically now it will go upto 8.2.3 only. Unfortunately this means that the  Mac Reader 8 will also not update to 8.2.4.

If you have already installed the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update and are experiencing the launch issue.  Adobe is recommending that  a reinstall Acrobat 8 from CS3 installation media (this will install 8.0.0), and then check for updates; it will take the installation up to Acrobat 8.2.3 (in a few steps).

Additional information

If you have Adobe Acrobat 8.x installed that is not part of a Creative Suite 3 installation you can manually update your application via the Downloads Acrobat for Macintosh page.

If you have Adobe Reader 8.x installed you can manually update update your application via the Downloads Adobe Reader for Macintosh page.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 3:23 AM   in reply to Steve Cordero

Spent the last two hours reinstalling and then downloading/installing updates (quite a few steps between 8 and 8.2.3) but I can only get as far as 8.1.5 as 8.1.6 refuses to install. Tried several times. Any suggestions? Thanks. Running OS 10.6.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 3:36 AM   in reply to Steve Cordero

I appreciate that Adobe is working on a solution (which I suspect will contain some variation of uninstall and re-install), but that does not lessen the impact this is having now. The least Adobe could do is package all those incremental updates into a single zip so that one download gets them all, or better yet, a single update file to take an installation from its original version to the current.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 3:57 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Having failed to get beyond 8.1.5 with repeated software updates (8.1.6 won't install) I tried downloading the 8.1.6 update from the Adobe website in order to try installing it that way. But that doesn't work either: trying to install that opens Acrobat, the installer then tells me to quit Acrobat, but Acrobat won't quit.

Is anybody else stuck?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 4:19 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Needless to say I am waiting until this truly is FIXED before I attempt to reinstall. I'm a slightly more casual user, but my sympathies go out to those who are trying to get their work done.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to Albert Grinney

I feel for your situation Albert.

In true Adobe style those caught up in their mess are being told:

If you have already installed the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update and are experiencing the launch issue.  Adobe is recommending that  a reinstall Acrobat 8 from CS3 installation media (this will install 8.0.0), and then check for updates; it will take the installation up to Acrobat 8.2.3 (in a few steps).

That is a few steps to get the basics up and running again, Adobe are quite happy to leave users to spend hours getting back to the needed set up.

My MO is to refresh the Clone of my Mac OS X HDD following application updates, given this latest Adobe issue it will be essential to fully test future updates before cloning is carried out.

I thank goodness for Time Machine which saved the situation from being a total disaster.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 9:24 AM   in reply to gelphyn

Sadly I just crashed my truck into your wall and knocked it down. The reason for this is that I wasn't being careful.

Here's what you should do: you still have all the bricks so go and get some cement and build it again. This may take a few steps.

Meanwhile I'm going to solve the problem by going away to work on a method of being more careful when I drive.

I feel that this is a fair and reasonable solution.

-ends-

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:51 PM   in reply to Bryan Rodgers

I wish I had noticed the detail that this update was only for

v10.4.11 - 10.5.5. I too am running 10.5.8 and had this problem. My fix was to ONLY use Time Machine to replace the Acrobat program only. Not the folder, not prefs, not anything else. I restored a pre-update version of Acrobat 8.2.3 and when Time Machine asked if I wanted to replace the original or keep both, I said keep both. I then opened the restored 8.2.3 version a few times, checking most fuctionalities. I then trashed the Acrobat Professionl (original) version that Time Machine created, checked the 8.2.3 again a few times, and then emptied trash. So far, everything is working again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 11:39 AM   in reply to ykPeter

Hello,

The same problem here, Mac OS 10.5.8, CS3 everthing is still working after the upgrade Acrabat pro 8.2.4 fails to start.

...replace with version 8.2.3 works fine.

Bert

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to CityPromotionGeographic

I was having the same problem too.  I called customer support and allowed them to take control of my computer to investigate the problem.  The agent uninstalled Adobe Acrobat from my machine.  Not sure why.  I am a University professor and all of my software is installed by our tech department.  I assume she was going to have me reinstall, but since the University does all of that centrally, no disks, so no reinstall.

She then directed me to a different silo in the tech support department and said someone could send me a link to reinstall.  After a long period of holding, the new agent simply said she could not help me, and that I needed yet a different department that is closed on saturdays.

I use Adobe Acrobat Professional every day.  I am crippled without some kind of pdf management software.

This customer service experience was so awful, that I have decided never to use an Adobe products again. 

I will find other third-party software to do what I need to do.

I will be telling everyone I possibly can about this experience. 

I am very angry that a once reputable company would have tech agents at such high levels of incompetence.  This entire debacle is completely unacceptable to me and the way it was handled is equally disturbing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 7:57 PM   in reply to shelley_3

I was caught by the same trap -- updated to 8.2.4 on a MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8) and now Acrobat Professional won't launch.  I get the same error message ("launch another suite component") as everyone else and it doesn't work for me either.

I'm a University professor, our term is about to start, and I'm trying to update my lectures -- I don't have time for this.  If this is how Adobe works these days, I may never upgrade to the new CS -- or encouage my students to do so. These programs are supposed to be tools, not time sinks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 8:58 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Having the same issue, has anyone found a quick fix?

I need my adobe please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 11:52 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Unfortunately no time machine back up for me. Does anybody know how I can get past the 8.1.5 software update? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 12:51 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Yes a great move by Adobe to put us all into an extra workload and little to offer from them in compensation or even a deadline for a fix.

However followed a fix suggested on this forum and deleted 8.2.4 and replaced it (and uninstaller as this shows same version number) with 8.2.3 from my external back up disc.

Has worked fine and have tested it on several jobs, did a restart first to be safe.

Important benefit is that I did not need to delete/replace any prefs files ONLY the app itself (and uninstaller for good measure).

So saves a huge work to reinstall from v8 and deal with the laborious uodate process - again the question could be asked (as for MS Office also) as to why no update combo.

Thanks for the forum fix and further bad press to Adobe on top of this fiasco for not offering  it as a workaround.

Paul Harvey

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 12:59 AM   in reply to PH1008

I've been using my retrieved 8.2.3 extensively all weekend and it has remained stable. I think this is the way to go assuming, of course, you have a back-up.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 1:08 AM   in reply to mackerr

Yes all good here so thanks for the tip and ability to get out without vast

hassles.

Provided, as you say, you have a backup.

I have 3 - 2 onsite and 1 offsite - and within that a backup sequence that

allows me to backtrack over a couple of weeks.

Reply-To: <clearspace-1888980813-772592-2-3075348@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:59:40 -0600

To: Paul Harvey <info@yogastudies.org>

Subject: Re: Updated Acrobat Pro to 8.2.4 Now it will not launch. Updated Acrobat Pro to 8.2.4 Now it will not

launch.

I've been using my retrieved 8.2.3 extensively all weekend and it has remained

stable. I think this is the way to go assuming, of course, you have a back-up.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 4:33 AM   in reply to shelley_3

I am using CS3 and unfortunally I have updatet to this Acrobat 8.2.4 Version which wont launch. Sorry for my English, I hope you are able to understand, what I am talking about. I called the adobe support, to get some help, using OSX 10.4.11 there is no timemachine to go back to Acrobat 8.2.3. They told me that I have to reinstall the compleate CS3 to get back a working Acrobat Pro. This would mean a lot of work, all the server connections with Dreamweaver, getting all the sites running properly.… Do you have another solution for this Problem?

hopefully and very annoid

funktioniere

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 4:36 AM   in reply to funktioniere

@funktioniere . I think just reinsallating Acrobat should be enough. You don't need to install entire CS3 product.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 6:20 AM   in reply to PH1008

@PH1008. If the 'spam' you refer to are posts to this forum, you can unsubscribe easily enough. The default is to subscribe when you create a post or reply to a post. Along the top where it has your login ID, go to Your Stuff > Preferences and deselect the email options.

Then you must also go into your Profile, Notifications and select and Remove the current thread(s) listed there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 6:34 AM   in reply to shelley_3

@Adobe...you have created a lot of headache and cost for your users. For those not running Time Machine (and apologies for adding to the frustration people, but there is no excuse for that!), perhaps you could post here, temporarily until you have the fix, the 8.2.3 version of just the Adobe Acrobat Professional application file. It is 860.7 MB, and it could help many users. Yes it's copyright but that file is pretty much useless unless you have all the other support folders and files, so what's the harm? Be proactive instead of reactive. It's an issue you caused, and by the sounds of it your tech people are not helping matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 11:29 AM   in reply to Steve Cordero

ADOBE's Cordero says that the fix is to reinstall and then go thru multiple updates ...

Is this the FINAL solution? Adobe does not plan to deploy a fix and will compel everyone to reinstall their software after downloading the Adobe-distributed destructo-virus?

I get paid by the HOUR ... can I get a credit from Adobe for my next CS upgrade? Or maybe a check?

This so-called FIX will cost me time, and time is money. Adobe stuff is not cheap ... it is a premium product with a premium price - it should have both premium reliability and premium fixes when the reliability fails.

This "too-bad" response from Adobe would be something I would expect from Dell. But we use macs and Adobe for a reason. I guess THIS is not the reason, eh?

THANKS!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 11:36 AM   in reply to authouse

Well, call it a coincidence, but I lost contact with both printers and a scanner during the "Acrobat Outage" ... I got my IT consultant in (I am freelance working out of my home) and $250 later had reinstalled Acrobat and had a working shop again. We did a couple of other necessary upgrades, but I feel that the Acrobat problem caused me a real cash outlay and I resent it.

Appreciated the confirmation that reinstalling from CS3, just Acrobat, was the way to go. It worked over here! Took a long time to accomplish, however, and I was out of my depth to isolate the one program from the others.

My IT guy followed the instructions from Steve Cordero and they did work:

Adobe KB Document: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html

h3. Issue
    Macintosh Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 is unable to launch after applying the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update from the auto-update mechanism.
    This issue appears only to impact the version of  Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 that is included with the Creative Suite 3.
    h3. Solution
    Adobe is currently working on a comprehensive solution for Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 but in the meantime has take steps to ensure that more users are not impacted.

As a pro-active step Adobe has done reversal of Mac 8.x manifest and rolled it back to 8.2.3 level. So Acrobat will not update to 8.2.4 automatically now it will go upto 8.2.3 only. Unfortunately this means that the  Mac Reader 8 will also not update to 8.2.4.

h3. Additional information
    If you have Adobe Acrobat 8.x installed that is not part of a Creative Suite 3 installation you can manually update your application via the http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform= Macintosh page.

If you have Adobe Reader 8.x installed you can manually update update your application via the http:// http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform =Macintosh page.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    This message was sent to: Pluto Girl

To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email or visit the message page:
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/3070951#3070951

--end--

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to shelley_3

I uninstalled Acrobat 8.2.4 (not working) and tried to install it again from an install CD but it did not work - the install wizard asked for Fireworks CS4 install CD (although I have CS3 standard!) and quit the installation. Any suggestion? Thanks a lot!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 12:49 PM   in reply to shelley_3

Thanks PH1008 - worked for me

Time Machine saved me a lot of time and work. I replaced only the Adobe Acrobat Professional application in the the Adobe Acrobat Professional Folder, I didn't replace anything else. All original settings there.

Maybe Adobe should tell people first to use this option on a Mac. (if you have Time Machine). It's a lot easier than re-installing and getting all your original settings back.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 3:09 PM   in reply to shelley_3

I'm having the same issue as well. My only solution at the moment for viewing PDFs is to use Preview or Quicklook.

I have Mac OS X 10.6.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2010 3:53 PM   in reply to Pluto Girl

I assume the "comprehensive solution" will be 8.2.5.  I'm waiting.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 12:40 AM   in reply to shelley_3

same issue here... waiting on a fix adobe with jobs due tomorrow... COME ONNNNNNN

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 1:24 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Meanwhile, some of us are still stuck on 8.1.5 because the 8.1.6 update won't install. No response from Adobe on this matter. Not happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 1:42 AM   in reply to shelley_3

Ah, actually I do have a response from Adobe support. After telling them that I reinstalled Acrobat 8 and started to go through the software updates only to get stuck at 8.1.5 because 8.1.6 won't install, their response was exactly the same as the one we all saw right at the beginning of this sorry mess: open up another CS3 application and Acrobat will stay open, or words to that effect. Which obviously doesn't address the problem, since that isn't even my problem, and I can only think that whoever wrote it didn't even bother to read my question (or the exchange before it). It's shocking.

Time Machine: learnt my lesson. I have it of course, just never quite got round to connecting to any back-up media. Top of my list now. Adobe are at the bottom.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 1:43 AM   in reply to shelley_3

We're trying to follow the fix (reinstall Acrobat from CS3 discs) suggested here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html

However, the installation process is hanging on a request by the installer app to insert an installer disc for After Effects - which we don't have as separate installer disc for! We've tried to re-insert the installer disc for Adobe CS3 Design Premium, but the installer application rejects it.

Has anybody else found that they were unable to reinstall Acrobat from disc after this fiasco?

Any ideas on how to fix this one?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 3:09 AM   in reply to DesignTactics

The same problem. I was asked to put in installer disc for Fireworks, although I have CS3 Standard! Have no idea what to do...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 3:33 AM   in reply to shelley_3

I'm running CS3 Extended under Mac OS 10.5.8.  I reinstalled Acrobat 8 Professional from my original CS3 install disk -  just clicked "Install or Reinstall" - didn't uninstall first, just reinstalled Acrobat 8. The update/reinstall took about an hour as it decided to nstall Adobe CS3 Design Platform, Acrobat 8 Professional and and Shared Components. I only have two CS3 disks and it didn't ask for any others but the first one.
    After this was over I had a functioning copy of Acrobat 8. It did not ask for my serial number by the way - just launched. 
    In a spirit of adventure, next I used Adobe Updater.  This took 26 minutes and now I have a functioning copy of Acrobat 8.1.3.
    I just checked again and now it's offering me an update to Acrobat 8.1.4.  I think I'll pass for now. I don't know what I'm missing by not having my original 8.2.3 but as far as I'm concerned Acrobat can just sit there and be 8.1.3 until the cows come home.
    Note to self: get an external hard drive and set up Time Machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 4:04 AM   in reply to DesignTactics

To update:

User error on my part: There *was* a copy of After Effects on the laptop in question. (It was bought and installed as a standalone purchase long after we had bought CS3, and hadn't been used since.)

We eventually found the installer discs for After Effects, and inserted that when prompted.

At first this first install still didn't work - there was a message saying the install was "finished" but nothing was installed.

However, when we ran it again, it did work. Adobe Updater is now downloading the seven updates needed to bring it back to 8.2.3.

Hopefully that's the drama over...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 4:14 AM   in reply to DesignTactics

Yesterday I was in contact with the customer service and we both tried to reinstall Acrobat from the original Software DVD. She was giving me instructions through the fone  and she was also connected to my computer. What we managed to do, was to deinstall Acrobat. But to reinstall it did not work. It asked for a further disk with Adobe updater manager 5.1. There is no such disk in the CS3 box. Some time ago Adobe was sending a newer version of their updater. I agreed to the installation at the end of the installation it said to finish the installation you have to restart your computer again (sorry for my german-english). And I choose undo (break up). Meantime I was working on several programs and thought I might finish this updater Installation the next day. But this did not work anymore. The customer service does not have any solution to me unless to reinstall the compeate CS3 Suite. But I wonder what will happen if I deinstall all those programs and then maybe there will be another message, that  the installation does not work. Who will help me of it does not work? How can I do my work? And why did I pay such a lot of money for CS3.

too bad

functioniere

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points