Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate a composition layer in the timeline, at same time make new comp

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know that in the project panel I can do Control D and make a new comp. I know that in the layer panel I can do control D and make a new layer for a different comp, which keeps all the animations I have applied to that comp.

I also know that after I've duplicated that comp in the Project Panel I can Alt drag it to the other comp in the timeline and replace, or swap the comps.

What I want is to remove a step.

I have Comp A

In the timeline I want to duplicate this comp and at the same time create a new Comp B.

What I want is to be able to duplicate the layer in the timeline, and while doing so also create a new composition which would show up in my project panel. Basically I am trying to skip the extra steps of duplicating layer, going to project panel, duplicating comp, then Alt dragging to swap them.

Is there a shortcut for this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precompose??? I think that's what you're asking.

The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + C

Here's the help file page on precomposing layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a shortcut for this?

No. Nor should there. Doesn't really make any sense to have it that way...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

No it's not precomposing. I don't want to move my layers into a new comp. I want to make a copy of one comp layer (in the timeline) and while copying, have it converted to a brand new comp that is identical. Then I could double click and make my modifications.

Mylenium, why would you think there should be no shortcut for this? It would be a small timesaver. I could dupicate a layer and while doing so, also duplicate all fo the contents and the comp itself. that would be soooo easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium, why would you think there should be no shortcut for this?

You are forgetting, that pre-comps in themselves can contain any number of pre-comps inside pre-comps inside pre-comps.... You would have to find a way of taking care of those scenarios which is a major logic challenge and effort. that being so and to avoid potentially risky user operations that might ruin entire projects, it is much safer to not allow this. I would agree with Rick that a simple script that mimics the manual steps and tied to a function key is probably as good as it gets, but still, even there the underlying deeper problem still exists, so you have to work very controlled.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I am not talking about pre-composing. I dont' want to 'move layers into a new composition'. I want to duplicate a layer that contains a composition and in doing so duplicate that composition in the project panel as well.

But it sounds like there still is no shortcut for this, so I'll look into scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2011 Feb 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but this was ranked highly on Google and I found a solid working solution at donationware site AEScripts:  http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/ in case anyone else finds this thread while searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks James! You are a life saver .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a process, it would be very easy to accomplish with Scripting.  If you ask nicely in the Scripting Forum I'm sure you'll find some assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will check that out. I can actually write JavaScript, just have never done it for AE. Maybe it's time to learn something new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines