• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SEARCH results - shows file name. Can I change this?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using TCS2 in Windows XP.

In Robohelp when you search the online help, it brings back the search results but they are displayed under the filename heading. Can I change that? I don't necessarily want my filename displayed to users... maybe the Chapter name?

TIA

-Adriana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The search results show the topic title. It sounds like your file name and toipc name are the same. To change the topic name, open the Topic properties and click the General tab. The first field there is "Topic Title".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I went to the topic properties and I see Topic Title at the top - but it's greyed out (I can't change it).How can I get it so I can edit it?

Is there a setting in RH that I can update as well, to do all my topics at once and future topics as my FM source file gets larger? Doing this manually will become a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding correctly- changing the Topic Title will also change all the references, xreferences, etc... which need to be manually updated in RH. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at any RoboHelp project without any FM doc connection and run a search there, you will see that RH returns the topic title no matter whether Project Manager is set to display topics by file name or by topic title.

RH comes with sample projects that you can test with or just create a project with a few topics.

When you say you see the filename, do you mean you see My Topic.htm or My Topic? Whilst the latter may appear to be the filename, it could also be the topic title.

Have you looked at Topic Properties in RH to see how what has been created there?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Peter.

I see "My Topic" not the "My Topic.htm"  - and because the My Topic name is linked directly to the FM doc, it is FileNameAllSquished -- not ideal.

I have also experienced that if I update the Topic Title, I have to manually update the TOC. And I have to update everytime I change things in FM (since I'm all linked up).

So I'm gathering at present that there is no easy way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the basis others are not having this problem, there has to be a solution.

Because you refer to "FileNameAllSquished" it seems as though you still feel what you see is coming from the file name. As there is one FM doc there would only be one file name if that were true.

The topic titles should be coming from your headings so it seems likely that something there is the problem. That needs a FM expert to help you. It might have been better if you had posted this in the FrameMaker Integration category (See the sticky topic "Which Category...". Do you want me to move this thread?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The topic titles are the document names of my FM documents, that are contained within the FM book, which I have imported into RH.

You are likely correct, it should go in the FM integration category. I thought it was an RH setting, but perhaps not.... Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved. Come on you Framers.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi--

I have no solution yet but am having very  much the same problem, and would like to get in on this conversation while I continue experimenting. I'm working TCS2 (Frame 9 and Robo 8), linking the Frame book to Robo to create CSH. I'm a long-time Framer but a newbie to Robo and TCS2.

As far as I can tell from reading through the thread, I've got some kind of variation going: some of my CSH Search results show the heading, and some show the filename. I haven't yet discovered what is the difference in the Frame file, although I believe that's where I'll find it. It's consistent from search to search. (That is, if it a topic shows up in Search results as the filename once, it does so consistently. Ditto others showing up as the heading.)

In addition to hereby signaling moral support (!) and an interest in a solution, I'd like to provide my settings here and see how yours compare.

The marker I created to manage output CSH filenames is "FileName." I'm working with engineers who are not native English speakers and have never implemented  CSH. For the 30 or so (out of 75) topics that actually are going to be  linked from the application, I created FileName  marker text that starts with "LinkTo_<menupath>." (Example:  "LinkTo_WebSecurity_ServerSecurityGroups_Adding.") The idea is to help  them see what to link up where. (It also made editing map IDs faster: I just select and automap any topic name  starting with LinkTo_.)

So I'm getting Search results that look like this:

Things to know about xyz
text text text...

LinkTo_Statistics_Events
text text text...

My "File > Project Settings > Edit  conversion settings... > Other" settings are:

Context Sensitive Help Marker: blank
Topic Name Pattern: grayed out but is "(Default)"
Topic Name Marker:  FileName

Not sure this is optimum. (As I said, a Robo newbie.) Also, my chapter titles and H1 thru H3 are set up to paginate, although I  realized later that filling Topic Name Marker field disables pagination.

Thanks, will keep working on it --

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not dealing with CSH issues- I'm dealing with the SEARCH box within the help system itself, when it brings back results, shows the results located in the chapters but instead of showing the chapters it shows me the FM filename of the book. The results show up as:

LinkTo_Statistics_Events
text text text...

I'm not sure that is has anything to do with the  "File > Project Settings > Edit  conversion settings... > Other"  -- I am also relatively new to RH and still working out the kinks (or trying to, anyways).

From what I understood from previous posts (and I may have misunderstood) there could be two things:

1-Setting the RH topic title. But that seems to be a manual project and I have quite a lot of topics, I also don't seem to have the access to do so (it is greyed out when I try to change it within the linked RH project)... it also seems to need to be redone evertime I update from FM due to the single-source updating issue. And if that means updating cross-references, index markers, etc. etc... well... 😞

2-Setting in my filename in FM- and no one in the FM list responded so I think it's possible I'm out to lunch. Or I need to rename all my FM filenames (since that is how RH is creating my topic title) and I cannot do that.

At any rate, I'm still having this issue and have no idea what to do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adriana--

I, too, am somewhat new to Robo but feel we win a few nuggets of info in struggling thru every project. 🙂

Regardless of whether your output is CSH or merely OLH, did you try going to Tools > Options and, under the General tab, making sure that "Use underscores in filenames" is off?

When I discovered that one, and turned it off, my topic names came up in Search exactly as I wanted them to appear.

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adriana, suggest you also browse this discussion:

RoboHelp  8.02 inserts underscores at random into topic titles

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne,

I agree - the more I do, the more I learn!

I looked at the underscores setting- I was fairly sure it wouldn't change anything for me but I tried it anyways- and alas, it did not improve my situation.

I will browse through that other discussion thread as well, thanks - although I am not having issues with underscores... the filename just gets lumped all together. Regardless- good information to read!

Thanks,

-A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you EVER find an answer to this? I have the same trouble.

Missy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope, sorry. I never did, and it remains as is. If you find anything, I'd appreciate the 'share'.

Adriana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp