I've installed Captivate 5 in a Windows XP...It works fine with new files, but when I try to open a Captivate4 file, the software closes!!
Anyone could open Captivate4 files??
Have been using CP5 as a tester since months as well on WinXP as on Win7 (32-bit and 64-bit). Couple of tips, but am not sure they will help, so don't shoot on the pianist:
I do have the same problem. And for me, it's a deal breaker, wanted to buy Captivate 5 until I tested 4 and 5 for some weeks :-(
Try to follow the solution with the AS: where are they located?
There is a blog post done about a Patch to address some of the upgrade issues and it is at http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/08/patch-for-adobe-captivate-5-t o-resolve-upgrade-related-issues.html . Can you please try this and let us know if it helps?
Is it only specific files you are unable to open in Captivate 5 or any file created in earlier versions? If it is any file, then you can send me one simple sample and I can have a look. You don't have to share the files you are not supposed to share because of org restrictions.
Windows XP SP3
Created a set of quizzes (strictly questions and results) using Cap 3 (started in Cap 2) and uploaded these to a server in 2008. (not without serious production/bug/crach headaches back then) These have functioned well and we've had hundreds of people take them just fine.
Now it's 2010 and I need to develop a new quiz for different product. I also decided at this time that I wanted users to be able to print their own certificates and also to get out of managing emailed or faxed results altogether. I needed more than Cap 3 could do so I started reading about Cap 4 but by this time it was Cap 5 (widgets!) as the current product. I got approval to the upgrade and rolled up my sleeves. At least the headaches are new this time....
I can open my Cap 3 quiz project file okay; been working on it for about 3 days now pasting in new questions text. Here are the issues (some reported):
1. When I click Quiz - Quiz Preferences, then go down to Quiz and select the Pass or Fail choice it will always hourglass then CRASH. >10 times
(a fresh Cap 5 project works fine)
2. To initiate a rescue (recreate quizzing project fresh as natively Cap 5) I moved the 25 questions into a question pool and renamed it. Then I started a new Cap 5 file and attempted to Import Question Pool (browse button is not funny or useful when you don't know what file name would be). Guessing that the Q pools are part of the project I went after the old (Cap 3 content) file by project name and the available Q pools were displayed. Unfortunately the Q pool I just created (Sept 2010) was NOT listed; the only pool that showed was a leftovers Q pool I made in 2008. That's just lovely...
3. Working to make sure the look of all slides were same or close as possible, I used the Properties 'Apply to all items of same style' to make button positions all the same, slide title fonts (Multiple Choice, True / False). At this time I noticed that after dropping in about 5-6 new slides, these looked different. The buttons were all matched okay but some fonts refused to switch. On the text Properties list I could see that there was a [Default Question Answer Style] but also [Default Question Answer Style]_1. Since there was the style from my "Cap 3" question slides but also the NEW Cap 5 slides, this is how the styles were stored. So it should just be a matter of selecting the "correct" preferred style and applying it to get the rigght look. But alas, it doesn't want to do this and it was a headache manually fooling it to behave like I wanted it to.
In summary, I could open Cap 3 files in Cap 5 okay but then the issues start. CHOICE: 1) Continue to monkey with the "Cap 3" project where I can't get into Quiz Pass or Fail to change passing score or outcomes. 2) Start over with clean Cap 5 quiz project that can't see my questions pool to import from.
And now you know why I chose my forum username above 3 years ago.
Any suggestions or encouragement is appreciated.
Sorry to note the issues you are facing. Ideally there should not be any issues importing the QPools from Cp3 files. I would like to have a look at the CP3 file you are using so is it possible to share it with me? You can mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org . Will check the crash part also.
Finally worked this out, someting I should have tried from the get go.
I created a new Cap 3 project and pasted the slides from the original file, then converted to Cap 5. Apparently something in the original Cap 3 project was corrupt, in some sense.
Thanks to the guys in support who tried to help with this.
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to try that.
Despite emailing zipped Cap project files twice and also making them available via FTP site, I've heard nothing from support as yet. I suspect they STILL don't have them.
My employer is looking to upgrade our team of 4 to Captivate 5 from Captivate 4. One person has already been put on Cp5 and can no longer open Cp4 files. On initial installation of Cp5, he was able to open the older Cp4 files but after the Voice files were installed he can no longer access and upgrade the Cp4 files. As a result, the rest of us are not being upgraded and the software sits on a shelf in our IT dept. This is unacceptable and frustrating. We are using Windows XP and this particular user had a new, full Cp5 install from disk, not an upgrade version or a download. I don't see any posts in this thread suggesting a fix to this so I am to assume that none has been identified yet or that Adobe is too busy to get involved. Have any users found a work around such as a total un-install and re-install?
I think the sequence of events is critical to upgrade success. Perhaps another try with the Cp 4 files updated to Cp 5, THEN apply audio files?
Never had Cp 4 myself, going straight from Cp 3 to Cp5 here.
So I'm having the same problems, but I've realized Captivate 5 won't open my Captivate 4 projects only if they have a quiz in them. If they are just regular projects, I have no problem. When I first downloaded the trial version, (I have the trial version of hte eLearning Suite 2) I could open them, and then when I tried to publish it would crash. But not they won't even open. I tried the idea of saving the Captivate 4 as with AS3, and then trying opening that up in Captivate 5, but that won't work either. But it should be noted, I got further along in the process when it tried to open that project then previous ones. (Most of the time it will die with "Updating slides" on the screen, but this last time, I saw the slides appear in my project and then it suddenly crashed.)
I am an administrator, and am running Captivate 5 on Windows 7 32 bit.
Ideas? Anyone else running into this problem?
I'm struck by the contrast in our user names; in any event.....
My experience plus what I've read indicates that Cp 3 or Cp 4 projects will open in Cp 5 as long as quiz elements (questions, results, etc) are not involved. They must have migrated "vanilla" projects and signed off on it as tested.
My suggestion to anyone grappling with this to either (re-)create your quiz on Cp 5 (fresh and new) or strip the questions off of your earlier version project into a question pool that you can access later to re-import them to a Cp 5 level lproject as I did. Migrating a Cp 3 quiz project intact was a trainwreck.
Last night I discovered widgetking in Google and absorbing the amazing information there (www.infosemantics.au/widgetking) to cure Adobe anomalies.
Yes our names are quite polar opposites
Ok - I will try that next. And a new development, I opened up a Captivate 4 project (with a quiz). I opened it in 4, saved it as AS3, took out all of my AS2 stuff/objects. Then I reopened in Captivate 5, and even though my computer said it wasn't responding and it just sat there for awhile, I just let it try to open while I kept doing other stuff and it eventually opened! Haven't tried to publish yet, but at least it got opened!!
PS I love WidgetKing too
I'm satisfied with my quiz in terms of content now I need to wrap up the certificate angle. I found the Cp5 widget certificates to look absolutely juvenile. I have two great templates to use if (WHEN) I can get the behavior dialed in. I need to get this dance properly sequenced:
1. Input widget to capture student name variable (have placed this on slide but not getting prompted for input)
2. Widget to display variable (name) in the needed position on the certificate (entire slide)
3. Print Slide widget (not placed correctly) to get student name on my certificate (entire slide)
For something this popular (quizzing) they supply a certificate widget but the styles available are lame IMHO so then I have to know/have Flash in order to use what I want? The more I read the less it makes sense. This aspect should be cookie cutter simple.
Do you have any Cp4 projects with quiz which is not upgrading to Cp5? Can you send it to me at email@example.com? Would like to take a look because there shouldn't be any issue with this kind of projects. BTW, did you try installing the upgrade patch located at http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/08/patch-for-adobe-captivate-5-t o-resolve-upgrade-related-issues.html#comment-1143?
I appreciate your chiming in but.....
1. This patch was published in August 2010 yet you didn't mention it to me on Sept 10th?
2. There were 3 previous attempts to send you project file that failed including two by email and also an FTP site, why would it work now?
3. The FTP site project file location was sent in an email with a screen grab showing where it is, the Sept 17th email was unanswered
4. Do you not have a list of issues/users in progress to follow up with? (Hey Tim where's your file? nothing) I was dropped like a stone.
5. As to the question pool, why didn't you ask me if I'd IMPORTED the question pool? (preliminary step I figured out myself)
I was upgrading from Cp 3 to Cp 5, never had Cp 4.
In light of no contact, I rebuilt the quiz myself and now just looking to get the widgets for user name / printing working and call it a day.
If you're upgrading right now it will be to Captivate 5.5 not 5.0.
Your post comes at the bottom of a very long thread that discussed many different issues. To which "problems" are you specifically referring?
If you are wondering whether or not Captivate 4 files can be upgraded to Captivate 5 or 5.5 the answer is yes. As to whether or not they will upgrade perfectly without any issues whatsoever, nobody can promise that because nobody knows exactly what you have in those Cp4 projects. But upgrading is a one way street. Once you upgrade to any later version of Captivate, you cannot save back as a previous version.
Well, Rod, I am hoping that all of the problems have been resolved by this point. My projects are very intricate with quizzes,interactive buttons, hyperlinks to message boards, links to other tutorials, audio, animation and imports from PowerPoint. I am currently using CP4 and we are about to upgrade all of our Adobe products with the TechComm Suite, which includes, I believe, CP5. I would never even think that I could not upgrade my CP4 files to CP5 -- that should be a given. I am just trying to brace myself for the road ahead. Thank you for your answer, though.
It seems the problem only happens when you try to open a CP4 file (with quizzes) on CP5..
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:12:10 -0600
Subject: Re: Captivate 5 doesn't open Captivate4 files!! Captivate 5 doesn't open Captivate4 files!!
Someone please tell me that all of these problems have been resolved as we are about to upgrade from CP4 to CP
5. I'm getting a little nervous here!
I´m still having this problem. I can't open any CP4 file in CP5, the files I've tried don't include quizzes! Already change to AS3 and use the patch but still nothing and CP5 keeps crushing. I don't know if there's something wrong with CP5, cause I download and install CP5.5 and works perfect, didn't have any problem upgrating from CP4 to CP5.5.
Don't know what else to do and need help asap, even if the answer is that CP5 has a lot of issues and we'd better use CP5.5.
Sorry to note that you have issues during upgrade from Cp4 to Cp5.
Two quick questions :
1. Have you installed the patch released long back to fix upgrade issues ?
2. Does it happen to all the projects or is it for some specific projects ?
Please let me know
Ashwin Bharghav B
Adobe Captivate Team