Skip navigation
ramsjet66
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS5 - Startup profiles missing and crashing on quit

Aug 29, 2010 5:53 PM

Have a couple of problems with Illustrator CS5.

When opening the program a message appears, 'Can't locate startup profiles' Have tried reinstalling the software but problem persists.

When quitting out of Illustrator I get a message saying the software has crashed. I've loaded up the latest patches etc. but again the problem persists.

Anyone had the same problem and found a fix?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2010 6:21 PM   in reply to ramsjet66

Have you tried to repair your Permissions?

I think you should do this regardless of your platform.

I think you should also tell us about your hardware, OS and your plug ins and third partyapplications.

I think this is a permissions problem and if it cannot be fixed with the Disk Utility or the Properties Pane then you might have to check this out manually.

I think it is a permissions problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 8:49 PM   in reply to ramsjet66

You might have to fix this manually but first check to see if they are here.

New Document profiles if they are there control or right click on the folder they are in and go to Get Info and look at permissions and ownership and make certain all the users listed have read write privileges. if not make it so and apply it to all the files in the directory.

Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 11.45.40 PM.png

If this does not work try this

1. Quit Illustrator.
    2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS4 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..
    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 3:12 AM   in reply to ramsjet66

ramsjet,

Did you use the Cleaner Tool between uninstalling and reinstalling?

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs5clean.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 5:19 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I'm having the same issue. I'm pretty sure this is not a permission issue (though agreed, is always a helpful task). In fact, I would almost guarantee that other people are having this same problem... As the startup files for CS5 Illustrator do not even exist. I installed the CS5 upgrade from CS4. CS4 startup files appear, but not for CS5. Reinstalling didn't help (x5). Permissions repair didn't help — as these files do not appear anywhere.

This directory: [user]/Applicaton Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS5... is completely empty.

I tried the CS5 Cleaner program... but this seeks out files and removes them. The old-fashioned uninstall is even recommended by Adobe over using this, so it's not helpful in solving this issue.

I even tried copying the old CS4 Startup files into the CS5 folder... a no go.

Does anyone know if going in to Applicaiton Support on Mac OSX and removing all of the old CS4 content then reinstalling CS5 would help?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to ramsjet66

After downloading CS5 I ran into multiple permissions errors, this is no exception.

The following folder needs Read & Write access:

Macintosh HD:Users:(Your User Name):Library:Application Support:Adobe:Adobe Illustrator CS5

You can change this access by selecting "Get Info" on this folder, then adjust the Sharing & Permissions options so everyone can Read & Write.

NOTE: This addresses the startup profiles only; crashing on quit is a separate issue.

- - -

When you open up Illustrator this time and try to create a new document, Adobe magically creates a "en_US" folder within the Adobe Illustrator CS5 folder that couldn't be added before.

Mac OSX 10.5.8

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 1:58 PM   in reply to ramsjet66

Turns out crashing on quit is also a permissions error. Go figure.

Shout out to Larry G. Schneider for this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3132649#3132649

Also, shout out to the makers of BatChmod (http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/BatchMod). Sets all your permissions in one fell swoop.

- - -

When you open up Illustrator this time, Adobe magically creates a "en_US" folder within the Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder that couldn't be added before.

Mac OSX 10.5.8

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 5:41 PM   in reply to ramsjet66

I solved this problem by creating a new user on my mac and opening Illustrator in that account.  Illustrator creates a new series of startup profiles in the new account.  I copied those files into my library and replaced the empty folder.  I then changed the permission (owner) of the folder from the new account to my account.  It now works absolutely fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 6:17 PM   in reply to shaunbzdel

Good to know and very clever indeed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers