Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reader can't sign pdf signature field

Aug 4, 2010 4:24 PM

I have a problem with digital signatures in Adobe Reader.  I have Adobe Acrobat 9.  I am including a form with multiple signature fields in a pdf portfolio.  This portfolio is circulated to collect signatures from users in different departments, some have Acrobat and some have Reader only.  I make sure that features have been extended for Reader. Most of the time they are okay.  But every once in a while (at least once or twice per week) I get a user telling me they can't sign.  No message or error of any kind, just a quick blink but no signature.  As a work-around I've had to save a copy and re-extend features.  This can be time consuming when there are a few documents I need to circulate.  Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2010 5:43 AM   in reply to Beto1502

I have not seen this type of behaviour before.  The trouble is that the problem sounds like it is very random, which makes it difficult to resolve immediately.  I would suggest that you start tracking the details of the users that experience the problem.  Things you should check would include...

What is the exact version of the Reader they are using?

Can they sign any other documents?

Is there any pattern (i.e. is it always the second signature that fails)?

Do they have a working digital certificate installed?

When they experience the problem, are they ever able to sign the document or do they require a completely new version?

Look for other differences between a working syatem and one that has the problem.

Regards

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 6:56 AM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto

The key to your problem is the message that you noted...  "This document has enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat.  The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available. Contact the original author."

Something is modifying the document, which in turn is "breaking" the Reader Extension permissions (i.e. the ability to sign with Reader).  This means that the fact that an end user can't sign with Reader is just the result of another problem.  A document with "broken" Reader Extension permissions is the same as a document that was never Extended in the first place.

Does your process do anything to the Reader Extended pdf to modify it?  Some examples of changes that would not be allowed include adding or removing pages.

Regards

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 8:43 AM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto

"Does a document go through any changes in trasition from one's file system to an Outlook folder OR from one computer to another via email?  These are the only two methods used to circulate the portfolios."

Answer:  No, this would have no affect on the Reader Extensions permissions.

"Have there been any known bugs for Reader 9.3.3?"

Answer:  None that I am aware of related to Reader Extensions

"Also, you mention that adding or removing pages is a non-allowed change that may cause the Reader Extensions to break.  However, the work-around to re-extend features includes removing the page with the signatures and then outside of the portfolio make a "copy", extend features to the copy and add the new Reader Enabled page back into the portfolio.  This seems to be the only way to re-extend features.  As you see, this can be quite a bit time consuming"

Answer:  I don't quite understand the above statement, is this what you do as part of your regular process or what you do if the Reader Extensions permissions are broken?

Would it be possible to post one of the forms that has broken Reader Extension permissions?

Thanks

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 9:16 AM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto

I really don't think that Reader is causing the problem.  If you want to uninstall and re-install as a test, it won't hurt anything, but again I don't think it will resolve the issue either.

How was the original document created and the signature fields added.  With Adobe LiveCycle Designer or Acrobat Professional?

Thanks

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2010 11:16 AM   in reply to Beto1502

You don't need any special permissions that I'm aware of.  Does it give you an error message of any kind?

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 9:36 AM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto

This link is not accessible.  Are you strill unable to upload the file?

Thanks

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 6:51 PM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto

Do you not see a browse button at the bottom of the text enty window when you make a post?

See attached screen shot.

Regards

Steve

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 6:45 AM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have been out of the office.

I don't know what could be causing the issue, without having the actual form(s) that has the problem or is causing the problem it is very difficult to troubleshoot.

If you want to post your e-mail address, I will contact you directly and you could e-mail me the files.

Thanks

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 10:48 PM   in reply to Beto1502

Beto,

Just make sure that you application server's clock and the User's machine's  clock are properly synchronized.

Clock synchronization problem might also cause this issue. [Your network administrator caould resolve this time synchronization issue]

Nith

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points