• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

! ERROR 1327; INVALID DRIVE: E:\ - reported by ADOBE 9.3.3 INSTALLER; BUT THERE IS NO DRIVE E!!

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For several days i have been unsuccessful in installing either Adobe Reader 9.3.3 or 8.2. The Reader program downloads fine and is set-up 100%, but when the Adobe installer window appears the infamous 1327 Error message appears and the process stops. I am running GATEWAY- SOLO 5300 Notebook, (Circa 2000) with only a 10 GB HD and a Windows XP Pro OS, on top of the original Me OS.

I never had trouble opening PDF files before, with my old AdbRdr 5.0 and 6.0, only since I was prompted to download Adobe Rdr 9.3.3 to open a PDF formatted file.

I have cleaned and defragged my HD; I have searched my files and programs for anything resembling or referencing DRIVE E:\ and have found nothing. I have removed all Adobe progams and removed the Windows Installer 3.1 program and downloaded and reinstalled a clean program.I have downloaded AdbRdr 9.3.3 at least 8 times using Firefox and IE browsers. But nothing seems to work. One of the suggestions was to Edit the Registry and examine the various bits and bytes and compare them to a clean Registry in a similar machine. Unfortunately, my other computer is an old 7500 Power MacIntosh so that wont help. I am a Telecomm Engineer, but not a Systems Programmer, examining and interpreting C++ code is beyond my area of expertise. If anyone has any constructive ideas I would like to hear them, as I am at the point of re=loading my XP Pro OS out of sheer desperation, but that probably has its own set of land-mines.

Thank you all.

Starejad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading an old Reader version like 5.x or 6.x to 9.x usually spells trouble; you should always uninstall the old version before making such a large jump.

That advice, of course, is too late now.  Something is corrupted in your registry; my question is: what registry key(s) did you examine?

But instead of fiddling with the Windows registry, may be you can fix it with http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/ - note that this software is still beta, so I recommend a system restore point before proceeding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall Adobe, any version that is installed, rundisk cleanup, reboot the PC

Download reader from Adobe site and install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings and thank you for your eply. However, I tried that suggestion 4

-days ago with the same resulting error message. I also tried downloading

it again using firefox instead of IE, with the same result. Thank you.

Starejad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me with Windows 7

Verify that registry entries do not contain invalid drive letters that might be causing this error:
Important: The following steps require you to modify the Windows  registry. Modifications to the Windows registry, if not done correctly,  can cause serious problems to a Windows system

Click Run. The Run dialog box opens.
In the Open field, type regedit, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
In the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

In the right pane, note the values in the Data column of each entry. If  any value contains a drive that is not correct for your computer,  right-click the entry and select Modify.
Type the correct drive letter in the Value data field, and then click  OK. For example, if one of the values is "X:\Documents and  Settings\Administrator", the drive letter should be changed to a valid  drive on the system, such as “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator".
Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each entry whose Data value contains an incorrect drive.
Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each of the following registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Close the Registry Editor and run the installation again.

In particular I needed to include the full path to my pictures folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and the variable %USERPROFILE%\Pictures in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

I didn't need to re-install anything by the way.

What I want to know is why the Adobe installer even needed to know about those paths.

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JackHays' solution worked perfectly for me. Going into the registry via regedit is something that I rarely do. When I do, it with "fear and trembling" after I first backup the registry. In the HKeys cited, I found drive letters that were not the required"C:\" and after correcting the error, Acrobat Reader X installed without so much as a pause to see if I was watching. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JackHays wrote:

This is what worked for me with Windows 7

Verify that registry entries do not contain invalid drive letters that might be causing this error:
Important: The following steps require you to modify the Windows  registry. Modifications to the Windows registry, if not done correctly,  can cause serious problems to a Windows system

What I want to know is why the Adobe installer even needed to know about those paths.

Good Luck

Same here,

I downloaded also Adobe Reader,

So it is not only the installer.

The error comes up  when it downloaded the program and then try to install.

Even when i use a virtual drive it comes up, so the drive E: exists.

You correct, Adobe don't allow you to choose the drive/directory,

It seems, that's the problem.

I just like to see it ask first for my c:/Program_Files Directory

I Try everything whit no result but go to check again.

It seems it happend when a person used a usb drive on E: ore any other Drive , when you used Drive G:

It comes with Error Drive G:\

It also never to a DVD/CD-Rom device witch in most caces is on drive D:\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the registry tip - that solved my problem (and a couple of other PC problems resulting from an old drive mapping that no longer exists).  Appreciate you posting the details!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the directions to modify the registry and now I get an error 1321 ... insufficient privileges to .change a file unrelated to ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a VISTA system Toshiba 300 laptop if that helps anyone make a suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I initially had error 1327 when I tried to update adobe reader - I followed the person in this forum who suggested making changes to the registry and changing specific registry entries back to C.  Initially it did not seem to work as I ended up with another error 1321.  Nevertheless I downloaded Adobe 9 which took ages, but now everything works fine, It took a bit of nerve going into the registry, but the instructions were right on. Thanks to the person who suggested that fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Starejad:

The solution is so simple that it will amaze you. Put a usb flash drive in.  Go to administrative tools in the control panel. Choose Disk Main.. Change drive letter on flash drive to E:. You are now done. Easy huh!!!!!! You are all set.

Frank Maverick-I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hat is off to you and I'm on my knee giving you accolades for this nifty solution!!!!   I have  attempted several times to download and install Adobe reader 9.4 and this was absolutely slick.  My computer actually recognized the flash as drive E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem "invalid drive", I could not update or remove my older adobe reader installation. I plugged my USB flash, changed the name and was able to update!

Thanks a lot

Dieter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am the one that posted that quick fix

Thanks!

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not computer savy but I put my flash drive in and changed it to drive E through the disk management.  Still get the same error.  What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this error as well. Adobe's substitution method worked perfectly...

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/install-error-1327-invalid-drive.html

Basically the installer is looking for C:\Windows

I have an "S" drive with all my user folders mapped to it, but for some reason the installer thought the Windows directory was supposed to be under the S drive...

So, in my instance I ran the following command from an admin prompt:

subst S: C:\Windows

Hope this helps anyone else still having the problem... With this fix I was able to successfully install Acrobat Pro XI

Cheers,

~Stephen

Creative Dragon Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines