Skip navigation
VPTraining
Currently Being Moderated

Encore CS5 library content

Sep 1, 2010 12:14 PM

Hi,

Our CS5 suites were purchased through our North American corporate "Volvo IT" people and not me directly here at little Volvo Penta. Any idea on an alternative way to get the library content? My account of course does not show the purchase.

All I ever get is a license to activate the download. What a pain.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to VPTraining

The Library material, "Functional Content" in most Adobe references, is included on the installation media. If one did not install from the media, but from a download, then there will be a second download file, with a very similar name. One must first have the program installed, (sounds like you do), and then one must first Extract the folders and files from that second download, and then use the installer in that, to add the Library material.

If you do have the media, it is very likely that IT did not install it. All you have to do is insert the installation disc, and if AutoPlay is ON, it will pop up a menu, asking if you wish to install that material. If IT has the disc (common practice), just ask them to install the Library material for you.

Good luck, and let us know if this installation is from media, or from a download.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 3:03 PM   in reply to VPTraining

Did you download the file or get it from IT?  There is only one license number.  If you downloaded the first file, you should be able to get the second.  If you can't see how, call Adobe customer service and explain the issue.

Or call your IT people, and explain that they didn't give you the second file.  Up for grabs as to which support system will be quicker!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 3:55 PM   in reply to VPTraining

My guess is that IT has the disc. They normally hide those from the users.

Still, if you have the CS4 Library content, most of that will just copy over. I wonder if some additional Transitions and Effects are in that content? If so, the Effects would need to be the 64-bit version, so the ones from CS4 will most likely not work. Just a guess on my part, but I'd suspect that what you will be missing will be the Titles, and Templates. I would assume that all Presets are in the main installation, but could be wrong. Maybe someone can look at their CS5 discs, and try to find the Library material, to see what is included.

Also, I would assume that everything in Encore CS4 will work in Encore CS5, as it is 32-bit. You might be missing a new Menu, or some new Buttons, but will have almost everything.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 6:03 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

As others have said, if the software was purchased on physical media (a disc), then the disc has the library content. If, however, the software was downloaded as an ESD (electronic software distribution), then you have to go through this process:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/853/cpsid_85388.html

The original poster seemed to be indicating that he knows this and has the problem of not actually being the one with the account information to get this extra download.

I think that either way you need to talk to your IT people, either to get the disc or to get that account information (or to just make them install what they should've installed).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 9:25 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

John,

Is that you?

I do agree. As is most common with IT departments, the installations are often minimal, and then the media is not shared with the users. Back in the day, the same could often be said for the manuals (never, never understood that one, but then I am not an IT-guy).

For one great client (her university will not be mentioned), I used to have to put on my Mission Impossible "ninja" outfit, and sneak into her office, late at night. I would then do the real installation of various Adobe programs, set up her programs to actually work, and then lock IT out of her computer. There is probably still a bounty on my head, should I return to Denver. Still, she was the only graphic artist in the entire system, and no one understood what it took to do her work - other than me.

Now, that material should be available, regardless of the installation scheme.

If from downloaded material, be very sure to download the second file, and then Extract that, with full folder structure, before you run the executable file included to install.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to VPTraining

I am in the same boat here, and this is an unacceptable response from the Adobe folks. I have a valid license; now give me the GD files!

Seems to me they haven't thought through the Volume license thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 8:32 AM   in reply to Doughboy12

Well, it is most likely that Adobe HAS given the files to your IT department. The better question might be "why does IT not want you to have those files?"

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 8:39 AM   in reply to Doughboy12

You have talked about this in another thread... this is NOT the fault of Adobe, since they will allow the person/entity who placed the order to download the files

As I said to reply to your other message... if your IT staff is not doing their job, tell your boss

Complaining here will not magically make Adobe let YOU do the download... that is reserved for the person/entity with the login and password to access the download site

This is an issue that your company needs to solve... nobody here can do anything at all

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 9:06 AM   in reply to VPTraining

Congratulations!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 9:13 AM   in reply to VPTraining

Do be sure to write the download files to disc, in case you ever have a problem and need to install again

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to Doughboy12

I am in the same boat here, and this is an unacceptable response from the Adobe folks. I have a valid license; now give me the GD files!

Seems to me they haven't thought through the Volume license thing.

Remember that this is only an issue if the purchase was by download.  A boxed copy will have a disk that they use to install.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 11:40 AM   in reply to Stan Jones
    A boxed copy will have a disk that they use to install.

As long as IT installs the Functional Content, or does not hide the discs.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 4:44 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Ha, ha!  IT would have to work at it for CS5 (and CS4 and maybe CS3); the library content is not separated any longer on the disk install.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 5:02 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Grin... I became a non-IT programmer (Cobol on a big computer) because the official programmers in IT pretty much set their own pace and priority list, so I boot-strapped the couple of computer courses I took in College into self-taught Cobol to do "small" projects for my Department... which grew into a full time job and career change and a promotion

There was a bit of grumbling from IT about me, at first anyway... but my boss was VERY happy with my work and, since he was head of the Finance group that ran accounting and payroll and personnel records, nobody said anything at all once he made it clear that I was HIS programmer, and IT could go suck eggs

So, I did 10 years as Finance and 10 more as programmer... and then retired (but that's a different story)

I never could understand the "Ivory Tower" mentality of the IT staff... I always knew that my job was to keep everyone in my Department happy and working at the top of their game... not put up artificial roadblocks just because I could

Oh well... more of the same, and people who have a hard time getting work done because of IT

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points