Skip navigation

RoboHelp 8 crashes on Windows 7

Jul 7, 2010 12:28 PM

Latest reply: Peter Grainge, May 18, 2012 8:47 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2010 2:36 PM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

Thanks for posting the temporary workaround. That is not something that has been reported before on any operating system.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2010 5:41 PM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

Hi there

I too am surprised by this behavior. But something occurs to me here that you may wish to try.

I've always been personally annoyed by the menus that tend to play hide and seek. What I mean by this is that the menus only reveal a certain number of commands until you hover a while. Then the menus expand to fully reveal.

In the video below I demonstrate how to change this behavior so this doesn't occur.

I believe the default setting is for the "hide and seek" menus to be enabled. As I don't seem to experience the crashes you do and my menus are configured to fully display, and you claim that manipulating the menus seems to be the key, I'm wondering if this is why I don't see the crashes and if changing the behavior on your own system will bring you some much desired stability.

Please do try adjusting the settings and see if that helps things.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 7:30 AM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

Maggie

Has Duncan's temporary workaround worked for you? Just curious.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 4:53 PM   in reply to Peter Grainge

In all honesty, I haven't tried it. I have another huge deliverable outside of RH, so I'm off on another tangent for the time being.

Maggie

email: mhaenel@docntrain.com

www.docntrain.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 4:14 AM   in reply to MagJoHan

Should it be of interest; I uninstalled source control last week, and so far RH8 has been a lot more stable.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:17 AM   in reply to paulnewbold

That's the same experience I had. Once I took that out of the equation, most of the problems resolved. Not all - I still get a few crashes from time to time, but most.

Maggie

email: mhaenel@docntrain.com

www.docntrain.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 11:39 PM   in reply to MagJoHan

I had issues with Source Control on Windows 7 but in my case, Windows

Explorer kept crashing.  Robohelp worked fine. Once I uninstalled Source Control my Windows Explorer worked fine.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2011 4:56 AM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

MODERATOR WARNING

The link in this post attempt was to an executable.Since the original warning here, it has been established that Robo Cap is an Adobe engineer.

Instead of the link to an executable, a link has been posted to the site so that you can see more about what you are downloading.

Hi,

As per the crash logs Oleacc.dll module is corrupted and this problems take place when the system is misconfigured or its essential files are missing. Such problems occur when a PC is not maintained properly and has accumulated many critical issues that require immediate repair.

To repair Oleacc.dll problems correctly, download and install the repair tool below. This tool was designed to successfully diagnose, find and fix the problems on your computer.

Please follow the following 3 steps to eliminate your problem:

STEP 1: [LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR] the repair tool
    STEP 2: Install and open the tool
    STEP 3: Scan & repair the found errors

Please restart the machine once these steps are followed, also please take back up of important files before running the tool.

Once the machine is up, try to work with menus in RoboHelp8 HTML and please let me know the results.

Best Regards

Swaraj

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 9:39 AM   in reply to AlbusTeck

Hi,

Since the download link has been removed, please use this link to go to the website http://www.restoreguard.com/p/file-Oleacc.dll.html?keyword=Oleacc.DLL& gclid=CLzGo8S466MCFQdGagodkwZH3w and from there you can download the rapairing tool.

Regards

Swaraj

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2010 9:17 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Thanks for your GooberGuide on the Menu expansion, Rick! Wish it would fix my crashes though! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2010 9:23 AM   in reply to Angela Fort

Egh? Are you referring to the Tweet I sent today about the free menu software?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 10:11 AM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

I have the same problem on Windows 7 laptops

I had a previous Windows 7 laptop and Robohelp 8.02 started crashing. When I got a new computer it was OK for a few weeks - but started crashing again a few days ago.

At first this was intermittent, and I thought I'd solved it by rebuilding the project (manually importing the topics), but that was not the case.

I am not allowed to run these magic cleaners...

Two questions

1. Is it a problem only on laptops?

2. Is one solution to run Robohelp in vmware?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 10:34 AM   in reply to peter braham

How big is the CPD file?

I have RoboHelp 8 running quite happily on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine.

Any source control involved?

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 10:50 AM   in reply to peter braham

Like my esteeemed colleague Mr. Grainge, I too have been running RoboHelp 8 quite successfully on Windows 7. My machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. It's also a laptop with 4 gigs of RAM and a Pentium processor.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 11:43 PM   in reply to Captiv8r

.CPD file is 870KB. Re the CPD file, I use the option 'clear project cache (cpd file)' under options.

Re version control, we use TFS, but I have switched this off (taken the project out of version control), built the prject from scratch, to no avail.

I have no doubt that Robohelp can run sometimes happily on some Windows 7 computers. In fact (and I should have made this clear), it does seem to depend on what project I run, and even on where I run it: that is Robohelp crashed whenver I saved a topic, but when I copied the whole project file to a new folder,  it ran quite happily (for a while)!  The access rights on all folders seemed OK in the original, so it wasn't that.

For me, the issue is this: sometimes but not always, and for unknown reasons, Robohelp continuously crashes.

Is there a way - any way at all - that I can continue to use Robohelp?

I should also mention, I ran the MS system file checker tool SFC.exe (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833). It found no errors in my system files.

regards,
    Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 1:17 AM   in reply to peter braham

Could the issue be the depth of path?

A project that is in C:\MyProject can run quite happily but put that same project somewhere in your profile so that the true path is a mile long and you can have problems.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 3:38 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

No, it's not the file path. Tried C:\project\.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 7:25 AM   in reply to peter braham

I don't know what else to suggest. It seems like the only thing left is the solution IT will not allow you to run. I think my line would be if you will not allow this to run, what suggestion do you propose?

I'm sorry I cannot resolve this one.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 11:57 AM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

I am also running robohelp 8.02 on a windows 7 pro 64 bit. I am having the same problem with my menus, If you select a menu you must deselect that menu before selecting a diferent menu or robohelp will crash. robohelp will also crash if you select the same style to reapply the style. I have been running robohelp since robohelp 5.0. Now with my new laptop robohelp is very unstable. I am trying to run the health advisor as discussed earler it this forum and will post back to advise if it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 12:17 PM   in reply to Tawnip

Hi there

You might try configuring the menus different than the default in an attempt to see if this is the culprit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 12:25 PM   in reply to Captiv8r

I tried changing the menus to fully display yesterday with no difference in performance.

But thank you for trying.

Tawni

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 12:29 PM   in reply to Tawnip

Well Frapdoodle!

I really hate to suggest this because it was suggested to me recently for another issue. But perhaps it will help.

If you change your Windows Theme to something fairly generic, does it help? I was having an issue and it was suggested that I change my theme from my pretty customized theme to a basic theme and sure enough it changed the behavior for me. I didn't like it much because dagnabbit, I *LIKED* my theme!

But it may be worth a try to see if it helps.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 12:55 PM   in reply to Captiv8r

I tried the health advisor $29.99. I also tried changing my theme to the default. But no luck. robohelp still crashes on the menus and is very unstable.

Thank you for your suggestions and any more would be appreciated.

tawni

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2010 6:18 AM   in reply to Tawnip

Have you tried running it in XP mode or in the XP virtual machine

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 7:05 AM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

Duncan

Thank you for responding. You are correct one of the services was the problem. I will do some research to determine which service it was but after shutting off all non Microsoft services robohelp runs great.

Thank you again

Tawni

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to Duncan.Baxter

Thank you! Thank you! I have 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium on my new HP Laptop and am on a 30-day trial for RoboHelp 8 (used RH 5 some time back and now the company wants a documentation update). After turning off services and turning them back on one at a time, I determined the culprit was my Biometric Authentication Service (Mfg: DigitalPersona, Inc.). It works in conjunction with the Validity VCS Fingerprint Service, but the fingerprint service wasn't the one that was making it crash. After searching online I found that I could turn the Biometric Service back on after reading http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/thread/15fff39 b-69a7-48f4-b932-58d4c330984e which makes several suggestions. This is what I followed:

Method 2:
    Reconfigure HP Security Manager (HP SimplePass Identity Protection)*

A.  Click on Start>All Programs>HP SimplePass Identity Protection
    B.  Expand Password Manager, and select Settings
    C.  Uncheck the prompt to add logons for logon screens option, click Apply, then restart the system

* This solution was provided by HP.  We don't know what other effects they can expect from making the noted changes, and you may want to contact HP for more information if you chose this workaround and need more detail. 

I do use the fingerprint service to initially log in, but not for anything else.

Hope this helps!  If it weren't for this forum, Adobe would have lost a sale...  Thanks again!

Suzy L. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to SuzzyL

Welcome to our community Suzy

And congratulations on your first post being so helpful to others! That's pretty unusual around here. Not that we mind at all with assisting folks, but many arrive here as their last resort and are looking for help.

If you could please do us all a huge favor we would most appreciate it!

The favor?

Please report the same to Adobe as a bug. That way it will be logged in their databases for things to check and/or know about that affect RoboHelp. You can pretty much copy and paste the info you typed earlier.

Link to the bug reporting form is in my sig.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 11:31 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Done!

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 4:05 AM   in reply to Tawnip

Tawni, did you ever figure out which service was causing your problems?

Suzi solved the problem with Biometric Authentication Service, but my PC isn't running that service, so I'm looking for another culprit.

In the meantime, I guess I will have to switch off the services one by one until I find the one causing the problem -- assuming that a service is actually causing the problems in my case!

If I find the culprit (or another solution), I will post it here.

/Eileen

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to EileenPalsson

Never isolated the exact service. I just run under XP, which is VERY unacceptable as my other tools are all in Windows 7. I have also purchased Flare and will be moving all my help systems to MadCap.

Tawni

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 12:21 PM   in reply to AlbusTeck

Rather than going back and forth with "try this" now "try this" does RoboHelp create any error logs that I can examine to see why one of my projects crashes every time I save it? I've rebuilt this project 2x already and it works fine for a while, then one day decides to crash everytime I click Save, Save All, or CTRL+S. The changes are saved, thank goodness, but it's a PITA to have to wait for the crash to finish and then reopen every time I save. (It also seems to coincide with Windows OS updates, so I suspect some shared file is to blame.)

Yes, I'm on Win 7 64-bit, which isn't supported, blah, blah, blah. My question is regarding error logs that might be created each time RH crashes. If yes, where are they?

Thanks,
    Karla Marsh

Senior Technical Writer
    GlobalSCAPE, Inc.
    Send me large files securely

www.globalscape.com

<PS>I've read and tried all of the suggestions in this and many other posts that list crashing problems. It's not a problem with:

• menus (haven't seen this issue)
    • CPD file (clears out every time I open it)
    • network (working locally)
    • Source control (don't use it)
    • etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to meKarla

What about (a) disabling your services, one by one to see which one is the culprit, or (b) running RH8 in Win7's virtual XP mode, or (c) upgrading to RH9?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:18 PM   in reply to meKarla

Correction: CTRL+S does not crash it, so that's my workaround for now. I have not yet tried disabling services. I don't really have any extraneous services turned on. I'm on a work computer so there are somethings I have to leave running and I can't install any fancy utilities or anything like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:36 PM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

"Hmm, this product sure crashes a lot. I think I'll buy their latest version." Nope.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:41 PM   in reply to meKarla

Well, that's where software companies put their fixes & enhancements - they don't waste time supporting something that they've said isn't supported. You are fully patched up in RH8 aren't you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:48 PM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Yes, I just now checked updates again and it is patched. The fact that 32-bit users on Windows 7 suggests that the fact that I am using an unsupported 64-bit OS, and that not all of my projects have the problem suggests that the 64-bit part isn't the issue. As I and other posters have said before, when I create a new project or recreate a project from scratch, everything works great--for a while. Then it gets this crashing problem. I have too many projects to maintain to rebuild them every month. I have just have restrain myself from clicking Save on the menu in this project and just use CTRL+S.

(Note: I work at a software company and we do interim fixes/patches all of the time. Look at the version history of just one of our products: http://www.globalscape.com/eft/history.aspx)

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points