• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove a shadow in Illustrator CS4?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to take a shadow off a vector graphic in Illustrator CS4, is there a way of doing this?

Many thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it's a vector shape, you select the shadow and hit the delete button on you keyboard.

if the shadow is an effect, open your Appearances palette, find the effect on the list and delete it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't do either of these. There's no 'shadow' effect on the list to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the object that has the Drop Shadow. Open the Attributes panel. You'll see a listing that says "Drop Shadow". Click on "Drop Shadow" and then click on the trash can in the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no listing that says 'drop shadow' in the Attributes panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Attributes palette does not display drop shadow effects. The Appearances palette does.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Appearance panel doesn't either, only has stroke and fill layers. If the shadow is embedded in the image, is there still a way to get rid of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should show a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll attach a screenshot but not sure how it will help.

colour.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would help is a screen shot of your appearance panel with a shadowed path selected.

Also, for laughs, give us a screen shot of the art after selecting all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell me how to do a screenshot?!

For laughs?? I know I don't know much but I am not here to be laughed at!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is laughing at you. By "for laughs" (a colloquialism in the English language) I simply meant "just do this extra thing for us because it might (or might not) prove to be helpful."

Somebody will jump in here any minute to give you detailed instructions for capturing a screen shot. You will make life easier for that person if you tell us which operating system and version you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, apologies!

I have a MAC OS X version 10.6.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/secretcapture.html

If necessary, crop the captured image in Photoshop (with no re-sampling) to show only the pertinent area(s), then use Save for Web to create a PNG for upload here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used that method before but it doesn't include any panels that are on the board. However, that link was very useful thank you. So much easier, and quicker!

Screen shot 2010-09-08 at 12.30.47.png

Does this help? Not sure what that blue 'circle' mark is on the left side in the white area. Can't seem to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Can you select, say, just the orange section at upper left -- by either ungrouping first or using the direct selection tool -- and show us the appearance panel under that condition?

That blue thingy, I believe, is an artifact of the capture. I can't recall its significance at the moment. You can just ignore it.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the blue thingy seems to be an object (with no fill or stroke) in your Illustrator artwork. I have no idea how it got there. You should be able to direct-select it and delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harron,

I've just gone to do the task you requested and for some reason I cannot ungroup the object BUT 'shadow' is now in the Appearance panel! How has this happened??! I click on it and taaa daaaa - the shadow is gone! Woop woop! Another problem - because I cannot ungroup them I can't get rid of the 'blue thing'.

Thank you for all your help Harron, you've been a star.

Fox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...for some reason I cannot ungroup the object BUT 'shadow' is now in the Appearance panel! How has this happened??!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fox,

Another problem - because I cannot ungroup them I can't get rid of the 'blue thing'.

You cannot select it with the Direct Selection Tool (by dragging over it or clicking the individual Anchor Points) and delete it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I was stupidly using the selection tool.....doh. Thanks Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Fox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foxy,

What happens if you select everything and click the Reduce to Basic Appearance button (I cannot see it in the screenshot, and the panel looks different from what I see in 10, so I have no clue what it should look like, but the buttons should declare themselves upon hovering)?

Maybe some of the parts have shadows applied, others not.

You may save yourself with an Undo (Ctrl/Cmd+Z).

Or you could roll the whole artwork so it does not protrude.

Hi Harron.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the appearance panel capture with all selected (post #15), it is possible the OP has some grouped paths, in which case Reduce to Basic Appearance will not be available as an option. In AI 14 (CS4), I believe 'Reduce to Basic Appearance' can only be selected via the appearance panel's flyout menu (i.e., there is no dedicated button). It will be grayed out if there are any grouped objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right you are, Harron, thank you.

So it might be necessary/possible to DirectSelect the releavnt paths (the ones with the shadows) and use the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try this. Select the small circular art on the left side and delete it. If you cannot use the lasso tool to just select that then use the layers panel to select the art and the delete it.

Once deleted select your art and see if it reads in the Appearance panel as a group and if the groups has the effect applied to it.

if so delete the drop shadow effect.

If not open the layers  and elect the layer the art is one go back the appearance panle to see if it now lists the layer as the top item and see if the effect is applied to the layer if so select it and then delete it.

if none of that works then use the direct select tool and select each elemental path, one at a time and delete the drop shadow effect using the appearance panel.

One of these methods will work. Unless the drop shadow is actually a filter and not an effect. In that event use the direct select tool to select the select the shadow on the canvas and then delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines