Skip navigation

Reader 9 won't open PDF from web browser

Jul 5, 2008 5:07 AM

Latest reply: MadisonAvenuePam, Oct 28, 2011 2:21 PM
Replies 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2010 5:56 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Had the same problem...I have CS4. Just got a new computer which already had Reader installed.  Uninstalled the Reader and now my .pdf's work fine!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 2:37 PM   in reply to holy4God

I think the technical term is a "Glitch", or at least that is how I understand it.

I am pleased to hear that your system now works but I can only think that in processors of the 8080 type, (2086 computer technology and before), they require an anti loop system taking the "failed" run back to the start. A bit like a "Soft reboot" and I don't think it is used any more. I am probably wrong but like to think I am right. I hope I am wrong because if I am, the software manufacturers have forgotten how to write programmes with recovery built in to them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 8:24 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

The fix,

Try installing Firefox browser on the machine.  Open the website up using this browser instead of Internet Explorer.  You will be able to view your PDF's with the current Reader version installed on your computer. When installing Firefox make sure to uncheck the default setting option, this way Internet Explorer will remain your primary choice. I have included a link to a site that will enable you to download the program.

http://http://ninite.com/

BKITGUY

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 8:11 PM   in reply to BKITGUY

Thanks. I will try this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I've solved the problem, at least, for me. PDF's opening in my browsers (Chrome and IE8 with Windows 7 64 bit) were all working fine until recently, and I don't know what changed it.

I found that after I exited that message in a box which said that the adobe reader running couldn't open pdf's in browsers and that I needed version 8 or 9, adobe reader 4.0 popped up with a blank grey window. It was installed on my pc for some reason so I just uninstalled it. I also uninstalled adobe reader 9, deleted the exe and started over. Downloaded a fresh copy of 9.3.3 and it's all fine now.

I may not have needed to uninstall version 4.0, nor necessarily needed to redownload adobe 9.

I may have had success just uninstalling 9 and reinstalling it from the exe I already had.

But it takes no time at all to delete everything, redownload and reinstall. Do any of that and you should be good to go again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 2:57 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Re: Reader 9 won't open PDF from web browser

The issue above, and below has a wider scope then what I am presenting, and although it relates to Microsoft Windows Registry it's not that difficult, and lets face it Adobe Reader functionality is broke anyway... The thing to keep in mind here is the litmus test: You create a new user on your PC, and try the failing feature via your web browser (Internet Explorer 8, in this case, but not limited to...) and the new account is able to open the PDF file inside the browser window. So if your answer is yes it does work, then your on the right path. Also note that if you have multiple users on the PC, and only one is having the issue, you may choose to use one of the other good working accounts to copy the Registry keys from.

My Scenario included a New PC, New Adobe Acrobat 9, and Alternately Adobe Reader 9, Existing Domain User Profile (from Windows 2003 Active Directory, Windows XP SP3 Client)

PDF files won’t display in Internet Explorer 8 using Adobe 9

When setting up a new pc for an existing user, and using the existing user profile you may need to delete the Registry key HKeyCurrentUser-Software-Adobe for the current user on the new PC, and copy this back in from a local user account on the new PC.

Caveat; this most likely to occur because of additional updates, and versions of Adobe that were installed on the old pc, that are not on the new clean PC. The original existing user Profile contains registry key entries pointing to software that is not on the new pc.

Note: Always backup/export a registry key before you delete it.

To Backup the Registry key First Open the Windows Registry Editor via Start/Run "regedit" Then navigate to the key (HKeyCurrentUser-Software-Adobe) Right Click on it, and choose Export, give it a filename I usually use something similar to the original, with origin addendum like HKCU-Jim-SW-Adobe.

Now Log out of the bad user account, and Log in to the Good user account.

Repeat the Export Process, naming the file...HKCU-Good-SW-Adobe

Once you have Exported the Registry Keys from Both Accounts...

Log out of the Good Account, Log in to the Bad user account

To import, you can use Windows Explorer, find where you Exported the good key to,

(making sure you are now Logged in with the afflicted Account)

Double Click on the good key, and tell it yes you want to add the information, and OK.

Now because it is a dynamic registry key, you need to log out, and back in one last time for this to take affect. This is with the (so called) bad account (now fixed!!!).

I spent hours searching and didn’t find this on the internet, and everything I did find was the standard Un-install, all previous versions… Un-install, re-install the most recent version, set your preferences in Adobe for Open PDF in Brower.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:26 PM   in reply to jlawless2010

If you are not able to get Adobe Acrobat Reader to open .pdf files in the browser. Even after you check in prefs to show pdf files in the browser.

display pdf check.JPG

Make this modification for all versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader that show under this key.

-Note: Deleting the key and all subkeys for any older versions also seems to fix this problem. So if you see this key present,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\Originals

delete the 7.0 and all subkeys.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Originals

bBrowserIntegration.JPG

-Right click on Originals and choose NEW DWORD Value and name it bBrowserIntegration, hit enter,

double click on the new value and make sure the value is 1

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 12:11 PM   in reply to silicondreams

This has been working perfectly for us.

As a matter of fact we have cases where we have to run older ver of AR and that same process resolves our doc gen issues in our in house apps. If we have to maintain AR8 then we delete the 7.0, 9.0 and 6.0 (we have images that go waaaay back) keys.

To date I am not aware of any tech that has had to generate the bBrowserIntegration key.

Thanks.

Randolph A. Robbins

[signature deleted by host]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:16 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I have the same problem It wont open pdf files from web browser and I would like to share couple of solutions from these issue

First: In FIREFOX:

Open Firefox browser select TOOLS/OPTIONS/APPLICATIONS there you can find 4 adobe content type

select one at a time then select "use adobe acrobat x.x (default)

After all 4 adobe content type has been configure click "OK"

Then try opening pdf files using FIREFOX

Second: In GOOGLE CHROME:

Open Google Chrome browser select TOOLS/OPTIONS/CONTENT SETTINGS/PLUG-INS/DISABLE INDIVIDUAL PLUG-INS

I have adobe 7 and resently installed adobe acrobat 9 pro what I did is disable the the adobe acrobat 7 leaving  adobe acrobat 9

Then try opening pdf files using GOOGLE CHROME..

Hope this helps folks.....It works for me both FIREFOX and CHROME...

Windows vista home premium

DEll Inspiron 6400

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 9:49 PM   in reply to mykhys

PLEASE NOTE: If you are trying to open PDF files in a browser window on Windows 7 x64, then you must use a 32-bit browser! If you use the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, then the PDF file will always open in a separate Adobe Reader window.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 11:38 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Hi !

I had the same problem

It was driving me crazy ! I even thought about going back to XP. Stupid idea, I know ...

Thanks a lot for your help. I won't have to use some cheap Reader's alternative.

Have a nice day.

http://www.digg-it-all.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 12:06 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I saw a reply here to this thread that they did a complete uninstall of previous verions and then did a new reinstall. I followed that and it is now working fine for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 12:06 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Guys,

We are having serious issues with Adobe Reader 9.3 where very few users can view PDF files within IE8 (Windows 7 or XP SP3).  I've read all these posts and none of these fixes do help quite saldly.  After 3 weeks of researching, I am ready to jump out the window!

We actually need for these PDF to be viewed within IE and not via Adobe Reader.

Adobe Reader: 9.3

Please do help if you can.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 4:36 AM   in reply to Tazman210

hello,

following regkey must be set so that the reader can view the PDFs in the browser
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / Software / Adobe / Acrobat / Exe
    The key value must be set on the path to the AcroRd32.exe
    For example: "C: \ Program Files \ Adobe \ Acrobat 9.0 \ Reader \ AcroRd32.exe"
    hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 11:50 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I'm having the same trouble, mine say it's being used by another program, how can You fix this please. I get lots of messages and newsletter from Church and others that use PDF Files, Help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to mayflower14_

Hello!

Try the below links.  They are quite good!

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328233.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328233.html#main_Enable AdobePDF.dll

Good Luck!

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I had the same issue.  I closed Acrobat 9 Pro and opened just the reader. I wend to Edit > Preferences > Internet and turned off "Display PDF in browser" and now it works.  I'm using latest IE Explorer and when the PDF opened, I look at what version Reader it was and it is 9.4.0.  I hope this works for everyone who was as frustrated as I was.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 20, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I would not call tech support on this matter because they will tell you that you have to buy a contract before they will help you.  i just went throug that when i called just a few minutes ago on an update that is always failing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 1:22 PM   in reply to MidNite_Media

hey thanks so much! i 'm on a mac so i opened the preferences and 

unchecked that box, it works! love the simple fixes!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 3:45 PM   in reply to runick2001

I have removed 9 and downloaded 8 and I have not had further problems 

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:25 PM   in reply to dfgsdrsdr

Yup!

99% of the time this works, though this is not a fix, it relieves stress!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 4:30 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Solution

This post assumes we have Acrobat 8... installed. Don't disable Browser opening PDF in Acrobat's preferences as someone suggested or any of the other tricks.

From the beginning, Acrobat and Reader are installed:

1.  UNINSTALL Reader only.

2.  Download and Install Foxit Reader.

3.  Open Foxit, menu Tools > Preferences > Internet > Web Browser Options.  make sure "Display PDF in Browser" is checked (unchecked by default).

I can now launch a pdf that normally opens a browser and I'm back in business.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2010 10:33 AM   in reply to crazyraccoon

Open Adobe Reader 9, Go to Help, Repair Adoba Reader Installation.

This worked for me

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2010 7:27 AM   in reply to Lynq

Or install Adobe X!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 4:06 AM   in reply to Oldshep99

Thank you SO much for saving me half a day trying to fix this problem...unchecking the box in Internet Options worked for me!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 8:23 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Tried for months to resolve this problem. Was finally able to resolve by installing Acrobat X.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 2:02 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

prf files on windows internet 9.. .... Yo will have to remove intenet 9 until the conflict is resolved.  Removing, will just revert to your previous windows

petera59@hotmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2011 8:13 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I have Windows 7 and internet explore this is what worked for me on a government computer that I could not change that much on due to "lack of access"

I went to Edit > Preferences > Internet and turned off "Display PDF in browser" and unchecked the other boxes.

It now simply open as a PDF file which is fine for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 11:04 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Yes folks its a a real hassle

I'm also back to 8v now also.

Deleted all other Adobe programs,shut down firewalls,followed all the suggestions etc etc etc

Still get the same pop up box "Can't use Adobe reader to view a PDF from your browser"

Anyone found a different fix,it seems that going back to 8v fixed most...... but not mine.

Running Windows 7 and Explorer 9

Been without now for weeks.....

HELP!

JLG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 11:33 PM   in reply to lg75070

Didnt work for me,i'm back to 8v.............see my post today

Johnny.L.G

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 11:35 PM   in reply to bennettfam4

Where did you find Edit Preferences?

And you say you unticked open in broser,is that correct?

See my post today

Cheers Johnny.L.G

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I am now up to Adobe 9.4.  Have been having this same problem for months.

Running on Firefox...

Changing the default under options seemed to have worked for me.

Adobe.JPG

Need to change the default to Adobe Reader 9.4.

Hope this helps anyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 10:49 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I installed Adobe Reader 9 on my MAC OS X 10.4.11 because I got a screen prompt saying a .pdf opening in the browser was different? or newer? or something and it might not display well. Had trouble getting the darn install to work, but then it was successfully installed. Aha. Not a single .pdf would  open in the browser, even the ones I had just been looking at using Adobe Reader 8.  Read a little of this thread and saw it is apparently a very common problem, amazingly enough. (Why urge users to download newer version that doesn't work, won't display .pdfs in a browser??)

Fortunately, I hadn't emptied the trash of the old Adobe Reader 8 yet.

And, as others have noted, there is no uninstall app for AR 9, even though instructions say there is supposed to be. Went online to adobe and did search for uninstall for AR 9, hoping there would be one i could download. Nope.  So I set about uninstalling on my own, just trashing the AR 9 folder and app, but not all of it will empty in trash. I did hard drive search of all things with "adobe" and trashed them. But I still got messages saying a localized.rcsc (something like that) and an Adobe Air something can't be trashed because they're in use. At this point, the pdfs still won't display.

So used the MAC "secure trash" which forces the trash to empty even when something is in use.  Put Adobe Reader 8 back in the apps folder and voila, I have a working browser that will show pdfs again! Only took about 3 hours!

I hope this is helpful to someone else who has discovered the nightmare of Adobe Reader 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 9:13 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

i was having the same problem but when i update to the latest X version, it all worked.

You guys can try to see if it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 3:34 PM   in reply to Nirose

HI Nicole,

I couldn't fix the problem in Explorer 9 so i installed Google Chrome........now if i want to just browse i find Explorer the best but when i get to a site that requires Adobe i need to cut and past the page into Chrome.

At least i have a solution.

Cheers John

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

I see many people are having this problem. It is now one month later. Adobe, are you listening and have you solved this problem? Any one know what Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 has done to solve this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 4:02 AM   in reply to David Stover

Guys,

Version 9 has been old for quite sometime.  Install X be done!

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to Tazman210

I did. Thanks.

Somebody ought to shut the whole thread down and post the Reader 10 message to that effect, Tony. Some of us have not used Adobe Acrobat Reader for some time. Why not the suggestion, since we get so many messages regarding automatic, or almost, updates . . . why not automatically update everyone with Reader X. That would have saved at least half the 247,000 people that viewed the discussion boards about this issue. Come on Adobe. It's really amazing to me that this problem has been on the discussion boards since 2008. That's a long time to tick your customer base off. And another curiosity, I wonder why I have not noticed the problem until recently?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2011 3:37 PM   in reply to (Sarunas_Leonas)

Yeap, a friend said me that, but I cann't get that old version. It isn't available in the Adobe webpage. What can I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2011 5:42 PM   in reply to xpedroza

Just download Reader X from their website. They said it would work ok. I downloaded the Reader X but haven't given it a test drive yet. You should be OK.

The forum discussion board registered people 247,000 people that viewed one person's complaint about this same issue starting in 2008. I have never had the problem until just recently. Somehow something triggered this glitch. I noticed that Google.docs was involved in the development of the pdf files. I don't understand this stuff but they did a good job screwing up a lot of people. And nobody, of course, will admit it. They probably already have been fired.

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)