Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0.0 Admin Install Update

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am trying to update our deployment of Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0.0 to the latest patch, 9.1.3.

We are not deploying the updates via Group Policy, as our deployment of Acrobat Pro is "on demand", therefore I initially wish to update the administrative installation point.

I feel it important to point out that our software was downloaded from the Adobe Licensing site, and is not copied off any CD/DVD media.

My basic process here is:

Download the patch files for Acrobat Pro Extended for Windows, from Adobe:

• AcroProExUpd910_all_incr.msp (no longer easily found on Update site as downloadable at the time of this post)
  • AcrobatUpd911_all_incr.msp
  • AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp
  • AcrobatUpd913_all_incr.msp

Of which, based on the article at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html I understand that:

• 9.1.0 is a quarterly update
  • 9.1.1 is a security update
  • 9.1.2 is a quarterly update
  • 9.1.3 is a security update (assumed, as it came out in the wake of current security fixes)

Therefore, I think I need to update my AIP to 9.1.0, then to 9.1.2 (acceptable according to the release notes for this patch) and then to 9.1.3, thus completing my task.

My problem comes from running the patches on the AIP.  Normally I use a customised installation, but to rule that out, I am ONLY using the downloaded software - no local customisations applied using the Adobe Customisation Wizard.

Patching the 9.0.0 version to 9.1.0 using msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcroProExUpd910_all_incr.msp WORKS!  Setup completes, no errors.

Patching the 9.1.0 version to 9.1.2 using msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp FAILS!  Setup reports a missing file in the Data1.cab, interop.adobepdfmakerx.dll.  Google search reveals unlikely sources to download this missing file.

Patching cannot continue, as 9.1.2 is a pre-requisite to 9.1.3.  I have the same problem with applying 9.1.1, though the above KB article made me ignore trying to get that to work.

Does anyone have any advice where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

After more digging around, it seems that the 9.1.x updates are only for Pro and Standard, whereas the 9.1 update is explicitally for the Pro Extended product.

All 4 patches will patch an "installed" version of the Acrobat Professional Extended product, however the 9.1.2 update will not patch the administrative installation point, presumably because of the different version (Pro or Standard patch, not Pro Extended patch), resulting in the error of the missing file.

The Adobe Security Bulletin clearly says the patches are available for Standard, Professional and Extended, yet the patches dont seem to work!  This is just nuts!

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

I had the exactly same problem. After struggling for hours i finally found a working solution.
It seems that the sequence numbers in the msi-file 9.0.0 are not correctly adjusted by the 9.1.0 Patch!
One way as a workaround is removing the disturbing rows with a msi-editor.

Important note: This solution concerns only media kits carrying Acrobat Versions 9.0.0. Higher versions 9.1.0 do not show the described problem with error 1334.

Furthermore, the 9.0.0 Serial won't work for 9.1.0. You will need upg

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Patching the 9.1.0 version to 9.1.2 using msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp"

Have you tried that command with a /qb at the end yet? Are you certain your AIP has not been taken to 9.1.1?

As for going to 9.1.3 I'm still trying to get that one going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Unfortunately as I understand it the /qb switch just makes the setup silent, well, with a basic interace (progress bar and cancel button).  I fear my fault here is that the MSP part of the patch is looking for a file that is not available.  The current working theory WAS that the patches were for the Pro/Standard version and not the Extended version, but thanks to the Adobe Licensing site I downloaded the Pro version (non-extended) and tried the above steps again - and the same problem.

So, as it stands at the moment, the Adobe patches for 9.1.2 (and therefore 9.1.3) cannot patch a 9.1.0 installation.

I am 100% sure that the AIP is 9.1.0, as I have used the 9.0.0 media (download) and the 910 patch (see above for filename) and have skipped the 9.1.1 update as it is a security patch as per the Adobe KB article.

Hope you have some more luck, but for thoroughness I will try the /qb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been trying more stuff to get this to work.

Running msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcroProExUpd910_all_incr.msp

During the wizard, I chose a new location for the AIP, in this case, E:\AdobeIP\910\Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended\Acrobat 9\

This completed successfully.

Running msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp

During the wizard, I chose a new location for the AIP, in this case, E:\AdobeIP\912\Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended\Acrobat 9\

This time, I get a different ERROR - Patchw32.dll cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file Data1.cab.

This is a different file that is missing from the Data1.cab

This is completely baffling me, why I get so many inconsistent results.

I have tried following the instructions in post 37 on http://forums.adobe.com/message/2032567#2032567 but I cant get past these errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The frustration is completely appreciated. According to Adobe's own docs I should be able to make an AIP of 9.0.0->9.1.0->9.1.2->9.13 but the installer process inexplicably won't go. I'm almost to the point of quitting work on it and just waiting for the next quarterly update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2010 Sep 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've similar problem. Can you eleborate a little more on what is "a /qb at the end yet"? Appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2010 Sep 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Qb is basic interface no cancel.

Google msiexec qb

Jefferson K Davis

Technology and Information Systems Manager

Standard School District

1200 North Chester Ave

Bakersfield, CA 93308

661.392.2110 ext 120 (office)

661.392.0681 (fax)

http://district.standard.k12.ca.us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch file seems to work, at least for the CS4 9.0.0 automatic update suite.

Regards,

Lewis

link building

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been wrestling with this for the past few days as well.  Upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1 using AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp works fine.  Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.1.2 using AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp fails with that same error 1334 "The file interop.adobepdfmakerx.dll cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file Data1.cab".

Any help would be appreciated, friendly bump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2010 Mar 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This made me nuts.

Copy the installer files to a dir on your local system.

Create the initial AIP.

CHANGE TO THE AIP DIRECTORY!!!!!!

use the PATCHAIP=1 argument.

Here's a batchfile I put together for future reference.  Change dir names, etc according to your environment.  If adobe releases another quarterly update you will have to build it from scratch again.  With a batch file no big deal.

Copy installer files to C:\AcrobatPro9

C:
cd\AcroBatPro9
md \AcrobatPro9AIP
start /wait msiexec /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP /Liv c:\AcrobatPro9AIP\install900.log /qn
cd \AcrobatPro9AIP
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install910.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install912.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd920_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install920.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd930_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install930.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd931_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install931.log /qn

Run the acrobat customization wizard to create your transform and copy to the AIP dir.

If anyone sees any potential pitfalls here please let me know.  Thanks very much to Nick on the appdeploy.com folder for pointing out that you need to run the patches FROM THE AIP DIRECTORY.

And Adobe - no thanks at all.  Perhaps you would consider updating the KB?

Message was edited by: ghbpiper Missed the TARGETDIR parameter on the first patch application line - sorry if this messed anyone up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ghbpiper, that was simply gold.

I've been in contact with Adobe support several times.....invane!

How/where did you find the answer?

cheers m8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not from adobe support.    Someone clued me in to be sure to change dir's when building the AIP.  f-ing

ridiculous.

FWIW I did the 9.3.2 last night using this process, installed this AM.  works fine.  Be sure to make the adjustments in the MST (using the customization wizard).

I'm rolling out to 20 systems this morning (we use the KBOX appliance from kace) - it''l take awhile cuz it's so f-ing huge, but it should get there eventually.

Why oh why do system designers labor under the delusion that we all have unlimited storage and bandwidth?  I remember when acrobat was a fairly lightwieght app.

Good thing I'm not bitter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, ghbpiper!!  We've been spitting blood for weeks trying to get this to work.  We were able to patch all the way through 9.3.4 using this batch technique.

Kudos to you and a big fat to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thats one reply

Come on Adobe whats the fix to the problem.

Some one out there whats is happening

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ghbpiper, i'm curious on the AIP.

i've successfully created AIP from v9.0.0 Pro Extended.

If I install v9.0.0 from AIP, every references to it shows as "Pro Extended" except the About box (which shows as "Standard" with the "Standard splash image").

Shortcuts, start menu, add/remove entry, etc. etc. are correctly listed as "Pro Extended".

Now, I retested this by installing from the source (setup.exe with data1.cab, etc. etc.). Installation went as usual and the splash & About box shows "Pro Extended").

Now I am very curious why with the same source but different packages (AIP vs packed) generates different splash screen & About box.

FYI, in both cases, the product key is the same.

Have you or others encountered this (installing from v9.0.0 AIP gives you Standard splash/about box)?

thx for the AIP batch scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry no clue (also for not visiting this thread, in a way.  I'm trying to put the pain of dealing with this bloated pile of shite behind me).

At any rate I have not run across that issue.  After this I'll be ecstatic if we never buy another adobe product again.  I'm also convinced that the windows registry is the worst piece of system design to come down the pike.  That and adobe's way of storing stuff in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ghbpiper, thank you for the batch file. It saves me a lot of time.  I changed and used your batch file to patch Acrobat 9 Standard, but after patching and installing from the AIP, the version number is still showing 9.0.0.  Does anyone know why this might be happening?  It is as if it was not patched at all.

Thank for your help with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here.. the batch file is god sent. Have you tried closing down the program and opening it again? how to lose cellulite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure...

BTW - here's an update to 9.4.5

C:
cd\AcroBatPro9
md \AcrobatPro9AIP
start /wait msiexec /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP /Liv c:\AcrobatPro9AIP\install900.log /qn
cd \AcrobatPro9AIP
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install910.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install912.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd920_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install920.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd930_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install930.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd932_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install932.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd933_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install933.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd940_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install940.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd942_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install942.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd943_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install943.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd944_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install944.log /qn
start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd945_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install945.log /qn

And the installer is this:

rem @echo off
net use q: \\control\software\AcrobatPro945AIP <password>/user:<user>
q:

REM Kill the previous version.  May augment this to remove the program directory as well.  Why use a scalpel when you have a chainsaw handy?
start /wait msiexec /x {AC76BA86-1033-0000-7760-000000000004}  REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS /qn
start /wait msiexec /i AcroPro.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroPro.mst ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS /qn
c:
net use q: /delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe,  could you make this process any more tedious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops.  Do not install 9.4.3 or 9.4.4.  They're security updates.

REM these are security updates.  Cannot install between quarterly updates.  Another "feature"
REM start /wait msiexec /p c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd943_all_incr.msp /a  AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install943.log  /qn
REM start /wait msiexec /p  c:\AcrobatPro9\AcrobatUpd944_all_incr.msp /a AcroPro.msi  TARGETDIR=C:\AcrobatPro9AIP PATCHAIP=1 /Liv install944.log /qn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create the AIP, are you saving logs?  Lines that mention "wrong version" or simlar are clues to having tried to install a quarterly update on top of security updates (Why any decent developer would consider this acceptable product behavior is beyond my understanding).  Adobe, your project managers need to get on the ball here.  Easier updates, REGARDLESS of prior version.  You do it with the reader product, why not this?  We've NEVER gotten a clear explanation, which makes me suspect a disproportionate involvement of marketing/legal staff in product development and packaging.

I just got burned by this again as one of the adobe docs incorrectly listed the install sequence.  Found another doc that showed the correct sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct sequence for the pro product.

900->910_T1T2->912->920->930->932->933->940->942->945

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

10.x has evolved substantially:

• Updates are cumulative for both Acrobat and Reader.
  • Quarterlies are cumulative to the last MSI.
  • Security out of cycle patches are cumulative to the last quarterly.
  • You never have to chain more than two updates to get to the latest version.

SCUP is now supported for Windows deployments, and ARD is supported for Mac deployments. There are numerous other changes.

HTH.

You should always send a link to any doc that's incorrect.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I found a workaround though.  If you download the Acrobat 9.0 pro trial version, extract everything and then apply patches 9.1, 9.12, 9.13 - everything works.  Next I will use the customization wizard to embed serials and such.

Good luck.

Update I can't duplicate this again.... But I swear it worked once; all three patches to an admin install of the trial download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines