• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player doesn't install

Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I couldn't watch any videos on youtube (the screen remained white, where the video had to be).

So, I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player, and then I wanted to install it again. But that didn't work out, every time I tried to download it, I got only the Download manager, but not the Flash Player. I got the message "firefox, getplusadobe..error.."written" 0x0000000".When I installed it manually, I couldn't find it back on my computer, very strange.

Now, I tried it also with IE, and then I got the Download manager, and then a flash of the installation program of the flash player, but it was gone within one second.

Is there anything I can do?

Eloise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Download it with Firefox, and press CTRL-SHIFT-Y, or select Tools->Downloads

Then Double-click on the flash installer, and select run.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the download manager - get the executable installers from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Close all browser windows before you run the installers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I have appreciated all the posts that have already been written on the subject, I have not been able to get Flash Player to work since upgrading to Firefox 3.6.8 over the weekend.

Here is what happens:

When I get to a site that needs Flash to display (i.e., the Parade magazine page for the Numbrix puzzle), Firefox displays the "additional plug-ins are necessary ..." dialog bar at the top of the screen.

Clicked on the "Install Plug-Ins" button, got the Adobe dialogue box, checked the "agree to terms and conditions" and clicked on "Install".

I get a pretty moving bar and Adobe says it is installed ... nope, not working.

Checked "plug-ins" on the Firefox "add-ons" menu, and no Flash Player listed.

Came here, read all the helpful advice.

Downloaded the uninstaller and the manual installer and ran both (yes, I closed Firefox first).

No Flash Player working, no mention in the "add-ons" menu.

Windows Control Panel says it is there, but Firefox doesn't seem to know that.

Is this some weird compatibility issue between the newest Firefox and the newest Flash Reader?  If so, someone had better blink and correct it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see the Flash animation at  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and some version information beneath it?  If so, Flash Player is installed and working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

I get the "click here to download plug-in" graphic where that should appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Windows version?

What do you have in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash (32-bit), or C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash (64-bit)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows XP (C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash).

Flash6.ocx

FlashInstall.log

flashplayer.xpt

genuinst.exe

install.log

KB923789.inf

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF_FlashUtil.exe

uninstall_plugin.exe

UninstFl.exe

I have tried uninstalling Flash 10 and reinstalling Flash 9 but no change in Firefox's behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having seen any suggestions in the past week, I have tried a couple of other things I thought of.

1.  I tried uninstalling Flash Player 10, removing the Flash folder under \Windows\system32\Macromed and reinstalling.  Same error prompt from Firefox.

2.  I upgraded to the next version of Firefox.  New version still doesn't see Flash Player 10 as having been installed.

3.  Uninstalled Flash Player 10 and reinstalled Flash Player 8.  Firefox recognizes that Flash is installed (no more prompt to download) and it works on most of the sites I visit that have Flash content.  However, there are a few whose Flash content apparently requires a newer version than 8 so this is not a 100% workable solution.

4.  Installed Flash Player 9 over 8.  Firefox error returns, uninstalling 9 required a reinstall of 8 to make Firefox happy.

My conclusion is that there is something about the way Flash Player 9 and higher interfaces with Firefox that changed from Flash Player 8 and that interface conflicts with something in Firefox on my system.  Since this does not appear to be a universal problem, I will have to look at the Firefox add-ons and other plugins and see if one of those is the conflict.

Any further advice would, of course, be welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi K M, In your Post#10 if I had seen it would have told you to right click on that flash6.ocx and the uninstFl.exe and Delete them. The first was a very old IE file that never was removed and the other one most likely also.

However, now that you have moved on, what I would like to see is your Flash folder files. If you would like to post them, we'll be able to see what is now Installed and go from there.

Also in FF, take a look at your plugins and see if you have the SWF, any version or if there is more than one SWF there.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Flash folder at present.  I went back to Flash Player 8 which installed itself without needing that folder (it is in C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/plugins).

The Flash plugins in the Firefox folder seem to be the right ones for FP8: NPSWF32.dll (1.298MB), GetFlash.exe (126KB), and GetFlash.exe.manifest (1KB).  All are dated 03/21/2008 which also matched FP8.

There are no other instances of Flash Player, either in the folder or when I check plug-ins under Firefox>Help>Add-ons>Plugins.  FP8 is showing up as "Shockwave Flash 8.0.42.0" which to my recollection is correct as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, So your FF vs 3.6.8 or 3.6.9 works with that old of a Flash Player version? Just keep in mind that with almost every Flash Player version since then have included Security updates as well. Old versions of anything on a computer is what the bad guys look for.

Your original problem when you Installed Flash Player 10.1 was not Flash Player, nor was it Firefox not working. You had 2 old Flash files that were for Internet Explorer. That was the conflict.

As long as you are aware of the risks by having that old of a version of Flash Player on your system, that is fine.

I just think since I'm aware of this, to just advise you.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with you, EXCEPT ...

... when I completely deleted the Flash folder (which got rid of the old Flash files) and reinstalled FP 10 (which would have recreated the folder without the old files), Firefox still didn't recognize that it is installed.

See #11, first entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have read all of your posts. I think there were several things going on from the beginning. Not due to anything you did, but some of it is the way a website advises a user that they need a "plug-in" or to "update Flash Player" when they already have. First there is confusion as to what is a plug-in? Well Adobe say Flash Player is a browser plugin and that is true. There is also for Firefox and other non-IE browsers a plugin and that is the SWF plugin. When Flash Player is Installed, that SWF plugin is also Installed into the browser. However, many times it doesn't get Enabled and therefore Flash Player does not work. The website detects that Flash Player is not working and that is true. They don't know that you have already Installed Flash Player, and you or a user may not know that the SWF is not Enabled. So you or the user think you need to Uninstall and Install again and so the cycle starts over. To me and others, I think of a plugin as something added to the browser as Java or Quicktime or any other plugin. I don't think of Flash Player as a plugin, no more that I think of Java as a plugin or Quicktime. They Install plugins for Firefox & the non-IE browsers, but in IE they Install ActiveX Controls. But each are more than a plugin.

Hope I'm not boring you, but the above is confusing. I think this is what happened in your situation. Your SWF may not have been Enabled. And I think after you removed the Flash file and then Installed again, the same thing happened.

It happens with the ActiveX Control for IE, it just didn't get Enabled and that is all that is needed, as the Flash files are already Installed, but for FP to work, that Control must be Enabled. That had happened to me over a year ago and that is why I am helping on the Flash Forum:-)

Hope this helps explain what I see as confusion in the way terms are used and what may have happened in your situation.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't make it clear enough to follow.  (Not surprising, given the way this thread has been going.)

I have not been responding to website prompts about the missing plug-in.  It is Firefox which has been prompting me, with its "Additional plug-ins are required to display all of the content on this page" drop-down.  And I have been using Firefox's "install missing plug-ins" button.

Wouldn't you think that a Firefox-prompted plug-in download would properly activate?  I know that's what I had expected, but for whatever reason it does not appear to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi K M, Well then if it was Firefox asking or telling you that you needed a plugin, then it still could have been that SWF that wasn't enabled. Here is how I look at this: I think the websites are looking for that browser SWF to be enabled. Clearly they are not looking at the Flash files that 9 times out of 10 are already Installed. If they were they would see them, right? No, they are detecting that SWF plugin or the ActiveX Control and not "detecting" it since it is not Enabled, they are saying the user has a missing "plugin". Users that use IE, most of the time they are told to update their Flash Player, when again the website is not detecting that ActiveX Control since it is disabled.

Since neither one of us can ask Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft, we can just keep our opinions:-) Maybe someone with more Tech experience will come along that can say.

I don't know how long you have used FF, but ever since vs 3.6.4, 3.6.6, 3.6.7 and 3.6.8 there have been problems with those versions of FF and Flash Player 10.0 and now the 10.1. I know what some have been. Now that FF vs 3.6.9 is out I am hoping that will resolve some of the issues. Have not had time to check what this latest versions is about tho.

By the way, and I hate to ask, but do you have SWF vs 10.1.82.76 in the plugins and is it Enabled? LOL

And do you have the correct FP files for FF in the folder? If so, can you not see the animation at that test site? I know that the FF site uses that DLM(download manager). Check in your add ons, plugins and extensions and see if you have a get_atlcom Class or a getplus or a DLM Control. You don't want any of them.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, with your last post in mind, here is what I did and the results:

1.  Checked Add-ons.  Found Shockwave Flash 8 in there, as expected.  Disabled it.  Went to a page that I know has Flash content.  No prompt from Firefox to download plug-in (I suspect because Flash 8 was there but disabled.)

2.  Clicked "get updates" in Firefox add-ons dialog box.  Firefox opened its usual page, listed Shockwave Flash 8 as "outdated".  Clicked link to update.

3.  Firefox goes to Adobe site, loads DLM, requires restart.  Upon closing, Firefox reopens itself, downloads FP 10 with DLM.  FP 10 installer wants Firefox closed to continue, close Firefox.

4.  Firefox restarts after FP 10 install.  Add-ons dialog box does not show either Shockwave Flash 8 or Adobe Flash Player 10 in list of installed add-ons.  Clicked "get updates" again.  No Adobe plug-ins of any kind listed.

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash contains the following files:

NPSWF32.dll

FlashUtil10i_Plugin.exe

flashplayer.xpt

FlashInstall.log

Contents of the log file:

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-09+17-50-34.093 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NOS\Adobe_Downloads\install_flash_player.exe"
0001 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/Version 2
0002 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/Version 2
0003 00001037 SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer/ 2
0004 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player Plugin/ 2
0005 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Desktop\extensions/Plugins 2
0006 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2
0007 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2
0008 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2
0009 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2
0010 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2
0011 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2
0012 00000014 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
0013 00000015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10i_Plugin.exe
0014 00000017 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-09+17-51-06.700 ========

I have used Firefox since version 2.x; I had FP 9 before upgrading Firefox, which is when all my problems started.  If it were not for the fact that the programming world is insistent on making site logins require Firefox 3.x now I would have stayed on the 2.x version (please don't talk to me about security holes to exploit; I am more concerned with having everything operate in a stable manner, which right now I do not have as a consequence of these forced upgrades).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi K M, I've read over your latest Installs, etc. I am assuming that when you right click on the NPSWF32.dll and then click on Properties, it is FP version 10.1.82.76.

Now when you go to plugins with FF, there is no SWF vs 10.1.82.76? I must say I have never seen so many problems Installing Flash Player into Firefox. First I cannot abide that DLM and wish Firefox would stop using it!! It causes more problems than it is worth, and finally even tho Adobe still uses it also, they have at least included the Manual Installers for IE and FF and other non-IE browsers. They are in the Troubleshooting Guide which I must say is fantastic since they have revised it. Great instructions, with screenshots and information for IE and FF, etc.

About 3 weeks ago, I Installed Firefox for the very first time. But I used the Manual FP Installer as I did not want any part of the DLM, etal.

Now, if you don't have the SWF, then look in add ons, plugins and extensions and see if you have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or a DLM Control listed.

When you Installed FP this last time, did you use the Administrator Account?

Did you have any realtime Anti-Virus running, or any applications in the system tray that uses Flash running?

Just a suggestion but if I did not have that SWF that you must have, I would use the Manual Uninstaller and the Manual Installer. Let me know if you want to do that. In my opinion it is better, since you SAVE them to the Desktop and then close all browsers and run from there.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to your assumption that NPSWF32.dll reports version 10.1.82.76 when I check Properties.

No to the question about it appearing in the list of plug-ins in Firefox.  I doublechecked just now to be certain.  There are no Adobe plug-ins of any type (in the tradition of "fix one problem at a time" I have not yet attempted to load the "other" popular Adobe product, Reader into this browser). No getplus, no get_atlcom Class, no DLM Control.

Yes to my login being an Administrator account.  No to real-time virus scanning (I know you'll have concerns about my system safety, but I am incredibly cautious about downloads, clicking on weird e-mail links, etc.) or other applications using Flash.

Is the manual installer/uninstaller different from what is at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ ?  Because I tried that already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok. That link you provided. As far as I know that link is different. When you used it did the DLM(download manager ) come up? The Manual Installers do not include options for McAfee or the Google Toolbar nor the DLM

I'll give you the links, that is all I ever recommend to any users here as they don't include the "extras". I do use that other link for Mac's, since I don't have a Manual one for that OS.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this tried to run the DLM and had the (in my opinion, worthless) McAfee option.

I remember running a manual uninstaller at one point but I don't remember whether or not I ever had a standalone FP 10 installer.  I think this whole thing is starting to make me dizzy.

I'm beginning to think I'd have better success convincing the world to stop using Flash content than to make it work on this browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that's what I thot on that link. You have a pretty clean system and shouldn't be having these issues.

Download the Uninstaller and SAVE it to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download the Flash Player Installer for Firefox and SAVE it to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe  

Then Close All browsers, disable any applications that use Flash that are in the system tray (messenger services)

Use the Administrator Account. You only want to be looking at your Desktop.

RUN the Uninstaller, when it is finished, Reboot.

RUN the Installer, when it is finished, Reboot.

IMPORTANT If a red box comes up saying it is going to Install Flash Player, above the word QUIT is a small box you need to check to accept the license and it is very hard to see. Then you can use the INSTALL box.

Then check you Flash folder and make sure that SWF is there and Enabled.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb add important info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your instructions precisely.  Flash Player 10 does not appear in Firefox's list of add-ons.

The same files appear in the Flash directory as I listed in post #19.

Apparently in some circumstances, FP 10 does not install properly on Firefox 3.6.x and I'm one of those circumstances.  Maybe I will have to run IE (eccchhh) for those sites that FP 10 is required for and run Firefox with FP 8 for everything else.

I also posted in Firefox's support area a week ago.  Got no response whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well, I cannot believe that. Now Flash Player won't appear in your add ons or plugins or extensions. The Flash Folder, yes as you posted in #19. The SWF (Shockwave Flash) is supposed to be in the plugins.

Did you update to 3.6.9?

Any messages?

Did you get that red box?

Firefox's forum leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I wonder if when you removed the Flash folder if that had anything to do with it? The Flash files, are they now in the Flash folder, or in another location?

I need to check the Windows Registry list for something.

Do you use Adblock or adblock plus?

You could try a different version of Firefox.

Let me know on the above. I'll check a couple of things also.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I updated to 3.6.9 (I think I posted that earlier but probably didn't mention the version number) but no change in Firefox not accessing the plug-in.

Yes, the install brought up the red box which has now become all too familiar to me; yes, I checked the "agree to terms and conditions" (which is the only way the installation button will un-grey.

I wondered the same thing about deleting the Flash folder, but the fact that subsequent installations recreated it in the same hierachy leads me to believe that's not the issue.  All the flash files are in that folder.

I use Adblock Plus because the original Adblock is not compatible with Firefox 3.x; I tried going backwards to version 3.5.12 but the problem with SWF remains.  I already know that if I went back to Firefox 2.x, FP 10 would refuse to install so I haven't bothered with going back that far.

There is no C:\Program Files\NOS folder.

Last night I installed Google Chrome just to see what would happen.  FP 10 installed on it and runs without a problem.  If I can't resolve this incompatibility issue with Firefox soon I may just abandon it and use the Google browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines