Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Save adds 'copy' to the end of file name

Aug 29, 2008 10:10 AM

Is there any way to stop Photoshop from adding the 'copy' suffix to files when you save them as additional formats? I'm working accross multiple Photoshop versions on multiple computers and would like to standardize the save functions.

Thanks in advance.
-Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2008 4:31 PM   in reply to (Brian_Wheeler)
    Brian, when the Save As dialog window opens, there is a box called "As A Copy". Is that box unchecked?
    Rgds, MM

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2008 7:41 PM   in reply to (Brian_Wheeler)
    If the file to be saved has > 1 layers, try flattening it before saving to the alt. format. That works in almost all situations.

The appended 'copy' also occurs if the subject file contains one or more alpha channels. AFAIK a scripting solution is needed here unless _all_ images have the same alpha channels.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2008 4:59 AM   in reply to (Brian_Wheeler)
    There is a script called deleteChannels that removes Alpha Channels.
    I think it is on the Adobe Exchange, but if you can't find it, e-mail me and I'll send it to you (I'm not hard to find).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2008 11:11 AM   in reply to (Brian_Wheeler)
    No, not to my knowledge. The behavior is "as designed" I would guess you could suppress the naming using a script. Would be something simple like killing the last five characters using .substr(-5) somewhere in the script based on the original name, but since I'm more of an After Effects guy, I never really have looked into scripting in PS and have no clue about the wrapper code required. Should not exceed more than 40 lines of code, though, and someone versed in the language and Photoshop might throw this together in 5 minutes...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2008 6:01 AM   in reply to (Brian_Wheeler)
    Brian...

Actually, it's designed to protect you... or rather protect the original. The save as copy or the 'copy' suffix appears only when you're trying to save a file in a format that doesn't support all the attributes of the original... such as various modes, multi-layers, alpha channels, etc.

I guess it's Photoshop's way of warning you that this file format will lose information that the original .psd format can retain, so beware and also save the original.

What i do is simply delete the copy bit and it works fine.

JJ

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 1:38 PM   in reply to (Brian_Wheeler)

Try this.

In your 'save' action:

- flatten the image into a single layer

- save the document into the required format

- undo the flatten command (if you want to continue working on the unflattened document)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)