Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush cursor problem with photoshop CS5 MAC painting

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

i got a serious and annoying problem when i paint,and i'm going crazy because with CS4 photoshop i never got this problem

example:

when i paint and press with my tablet WACOM INTUOS 4 and release pen my brush cursor change aspect from circle to cursor  to OS X Mouse Cursor for a little bit second and then return to classic brush round circle repeatedly in any brush press-release -press-relase (painting)

if i rotate my grip-pen to erase something, this "change" move cursor about 5/10 pixel and then return in start position and any work become impossible and hard.

I tried to install the new driver wacom for a night trying to solve this problem.

but ....at the end i give up and turn off my wacom, and i discovered that my problem isn't the tablet but Photoshop CS 5!

why???

if i  draw/paint with the mouse the "blink cursor joke" is the same!!!

i'm very frustrated for this problem!

i read a lot of forums,

try to turn off open-gl

try to re-install

try this.. try that..

nothing!

please help me!!

thank you and sorry for bad English

PS: here is a gif example for the problem

blink_creazy.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, the gif uploaded doesn't move try to download it

Senza-titolo-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i read a lot of forums,

try to turn off open-gl

try to re-install

try this.. try that..

Just to make sure: Did you restart Photoshop after changing OpenGL-settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i did it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, then I can only point out other obvious candidates which youā€™ve probably read about anyway:

Is Photoshop updated to 12.0.1?

Whatā€™s your OS-version?

Have you performed routine trouble-shooting tasks (trashing prefs, system maintenance, weeding out bad fonts, ā€¦)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, i got Leopard 10.6.4

now i downloaded last 12.0.1 update for PS CS5 mac ....but nothing seems to change.

same problem, when i draw/paint and release for a moment cursor os x appear and then dissapear...

i had no problem with PS CS4 with same configuration, same MAC same all!

:Ā°(

i'm very tired

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem, when i draw/paint and release for a moment cursor os x appear and then dissapear...

Do you have a wacom tablet attached to your system?

There was a bug like that in an older Wacom driver (updating should fix it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi chris, attached or not is the same cursor problem.

I never got problem with wacom and CS4, the problem persist only with PS CS5

i downloaded last wacom driver and the cursor pointer appear again(always for a moment) when i release

In another forum one user says that it's a bug of photoshop cs5 that adobe know and will fix..

when will fix we don't know.

If anyone know a solution please tell me something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi chris, attached or not is the same cursor problem.

The issue would be that the driver is installed, not that the tablet is currently connected.

As far as I know (I have yet to see any internal bug on this), this is an external driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, i downloaded and installed last wacom driver.  Are you saying i can't paint with my wacom and cs5?  I did this experiment today:  Cs4 and cs5 opened, cs4 all perfect Cs5 did the cursor pointer problem on release Mouse and wacom tested  Do you think if i uninstall wacom driver, problem will be solved? And then, how can i paint without wacom's driver Thank for your patient

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, read what I said.

I said that some wacom driver versions have been known to cause brush cursor problems like what you are describing.

(also bad installs of drivers, where someone didn't follow the directions to update the driver)

Photoshop CS5 uses Cocoa APIs, while Photoshop CS4 used Carbon APIs -- there are going to be differences, they are going to hit different code paths in the OS and drivers.  When there is a driver bug, the driver maker normally updates their drivers to address the bug pretty quickly.

If you are continuing to have problems after updating the driver, then uninstalling would be the next logical thing to test.

But it is possible that some other application or driver on you system is the cause, and it isn't the Wacom driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, i follow your instruction

uninstall full wacom driver, then restart,

photoshop without any driver do the same cursor pointer problem when i release "click".

so i re-install the last wacom driver.

i can't understand what driver or application causes this problem.

any idea?

OSx: 10.6.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem using Photoshop CS5. When I paint with my wacom tablet the cursor blink into a windows arrow cursor for a very short moment every now and then. It's driving me crazy.
Both of my two PCs has the problem --one with Intuos 4 + Windows XP 32bit + Nvidia Geforce and another with Intuos 3 + Windows 7 64bit + ATI Radeon--even after I updated all the latest graphic card and tablet drivers. And I never had that problem with CS4 neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi shishak44, thanks for your post.

As you know i can't update my graphic driver in Macintosh.

I got an iMac 24" 2.8 Core2Extreme Ati HD1600  and  Leopard OSX 10.6.4.

Someone can help me?

Someone got this problem with MAC OSX ??

šŸ˜•

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2010 Sep 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally came up with this solution, in Preferences>Performance, open Advanced Settings of OpenGL, then switch "Mode" to "Advanced" (defaultly 'Normal'). I've tried this out for several hours and it's ok up to now. It almost never happened again, except I think I saw it blinked undetectably several times.

Right after I posted this the damned cursor started blinking again, as if it's mocking me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2010 Sep 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi friend... i have already done this change... in three different mode time ago...

but, as u see ... NOTHING!!

damn it! no one can help us... no ONE???? ho can it possible?

Hey ADOBE ... Help US!

i'm very afraid!!!!

now, i got CS5 and CS4 installed and i'm painting with CS4 untill someone help us to solve this problem.!!

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2010 Sep 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyyyyy........ none have some news?????

please help us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this effect. For me, it happens briefly, usually when hovering with the pen.

Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reproduced this problem and have logged the appropiate bug internally.  I know that does not help you with your immediate problem but,  I wanted to at least let you know that we have seen this and are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David-

I'm wondering if this bug you've found is the same or related to the really slow painting I've found in CS5?

I've been talking with an Adobe engineer and he doesn't see this issue, but I see it on 3 different Mac Pros and CS5.

The Mac Pro's have Nvidia cards and painting is very slow and my old Macbook Pro has an ATI card and it does everything fine in CS5.

Here is my previous thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699655?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using MacOS 10.6?  Did you install the Graphics Update from Apple (that fixes a LOT of NVidia driver bugs)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Yes I've doe all of that - I think you responded to my original post and referred me to Mike Shaw and Jeff Tranberry. They haven't been able to fix it. I think its definitely a video card issue - strange that 3 1-2 year old Mac Pros - not identical hardware/software setups - are terribly slow at painting and curves window whereas my 4 year old laptop is fine with an ATI Raedon card. Cant use CS5 for real work right now, the studio's been on CS3 as it has no issues. But we would like to figure it out before we cancel out considering upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, finally some affirmative response. It's comforting, thanks. As a temporary solution, I've replaced the windows cursor with a crosshair cursor I made the same with the Photoshop brush.  I expect your good news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't understand yout post... have you read that this is a MAC problem?

how can help me this cursor replace??!!! -_-

@David Dobish   thank you, this is the only professional and useful answer!

PLEASE, David... tell me more if you find a solution!

i'm very very tired about this problem!

i can't understand Adobe!!!!

bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I know more and I can share the information I will let you all know the status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines