Exit

Restart slide Widget

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for looking.

I was just curious if there was a way to create a widget that would just replay the current slide.  Essentially, at the end of each slide, I want to give the user the option to go to the next slide, go back a slide, or restart the current slide.

Now, I know theoretically they could just go back and then forward, but I would prefer to streamline that for users and just have a restart slide button if possible.

I did search around this forum and google a bit, and was surprised not to really come up with anything.

Also, as a side question, has anyone else experienced strange issues when placing widgets on master slides?  I tried to place a "Next" button on a master slide and then link all the slides up to the master slide, but when I do captions on a timeline within a slide randomly pause the slide and the button isn't always functional.  I figure out I could make the button functional by making sure it was on "top", but that still doesn't explain why it would stop a slide midway through with no user interaction.

Thanks again!

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Here is the widget: http://www.cpguru.com/2010/09/15/replay-slide-widget-for-adobe-captivate-4-and-adobe-captivate-5/

It's an AS3 widget so it will work in Adobe Captivate 4 AS3 projects and naturally Adobe Captivate 5.

Have fun ;o)

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I would do... I would duplicate the slide that you want to give the option to repeat. Make two buttons, one that "Repeats" (really it advances to the next slide and one that moves forward (this one jumps to slide...) You can make the same buttons on the copy but have the repeat jump to the first one again. Round and round they can go between those two slides until they choose to continue and jump to the 3rd slide. Does this make sense? If not I can upload a dummy, are you using captivate 5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it...such a creative (yet simple) solution.

I used another solution suggested to me (by Rick I believe) when I raised this same question some time ago.

Insert a blank slide between each slide of the project, starting before the first slide you want to "view again". Set the display time on the blank slide to 0.1. Now when the user clicks the "back" button on the slide they want to view again they will jump back to the previous slide, but only for 0.1 sec and go straight on to the slide they were just looking at.

There is a slight (0.1 sec) pause which you may not like...but try it and see what you think. This is another option for you to consider.

Also, bear in mind, both of these solutions is going to almost double the number of slides in your project.

Of course what would be nice, is for Adobe to consider the customer and create a "back to start of same slide" option.

In meantime...long live creative (yet simple) solutions.

Noel

Staffordshire

England

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing you can do is to create an Advanced Action which would jump to the same slide and assign it to a button. In that way you don't have to create multiple slides.

assign cpCmndGotoSlide with rdinfoCurrentSlide

continue

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vish

I know this information is a bit long in the tooth, seeing as how Captivate 5 is now all the rage. But can you please expound on how you manage to make the assignment in the Advanced Action?

I ask because the variable you mentioned: cpCmndGotoSlide isn't available when I use the Assign option in the Advanced Actions.

tmp1.PNG

When I tried this and saw the command was missing, I thought perhaps it needed to be in a conditional action. Unfortunately the same issue arises there. Most oddly, the variable DOES get listed when you view the variables you are assigning!

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I'm not Vish, just FYI. In CP4 there are a lot of system variables that you cannot have access to with the Assignment action (trigger by whatever event or by an Advanced action). Had been looking for a workaround for this variable cpCmndGotoSlide but never found one. Under the hood the Advanced actions possiblities in CP5 have increased a lot, and this is one of those hidden new possibilities. This is one of the reasons why I became a fan of CP5, as you know I think

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

LOL, yeah I know you're not Vish.

I was asking in the event there was some magickal condition that needed to be met in order to expose that variable. Like you, I've scoured things and have yet to discover a way to see it. And it always seemed odd to me that the lists of available variables were different, depending on where you were at the time.

Ahhh well. It is what it is I suppose. And now we are off onto Captivate 5 and I'm sure it will offer its own unique set of quirks. What with it being software being programmed by humans and all.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can whip up a Restart Slide Widget for you. I will create a widget that will replay the current slide when clicked. I'll probably make the widget transparent so you can place it on top of a button image inside Captivate. You won't be able to get an "over state" when hovered over the button though so you will have to live with that.

I'll reply here once it's done.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the widget: http://www.cpguru.com/2010/09/15/replay-slide-widget-for-adobe-captivate-4-and-adobe-captivate-5/

It's an AS3 widget so it will work in Adobe Captivate 4 AS3 projects and naturally Adobe Captivate 5.

Have fun ;o)

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Just wanted to say a quick "many thanks" for creating the restart widget. I have downloaded it (free as wel- double bonusl!!), and will be testing it later today.

Again many thanks....

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Spoke too soon !

I am not a techie so not idea what all the following means.

Your Restart Widget is AS3 but I am working in Captivate 4 AS2...and so get error message when I try to add your widget.

I need to speak to my tech people about AS2 vs AS3....but I get the feeling I wont be able to make use of your good work, as I will have to remain in...or is it with...AS2.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

;o)

I only created an AS3 version since I saw that the original poster was refering to Master Slides so I figured that it should be for Captivate 5.

AS2 and AS3 are the coding language used in Adobe Flash. Basically AS3 is the new version of this coding language and that is what Captivate 5 uses internally and when you code widgets for it.

If you currently don't use any AS2 Flash components in your Captivate 4 projects then you should be save to switch the publishing mode to AS3 in the Project Settings - Publish Settings. AS3 runs better, quicker and some of the weird bugs that are present in Captivate 4 are actually gone as well. The only requirement when you publish to AS3 is that the clients that runs your project/course will need to use minimum Flash Player 9. Most people already have Flash Player 9 or 10 installed on their machine, but some corporations are still stuck with Flash Player 8 (and probably Internet Explorer 6) so they will not be able to view the output.

I'll see if I can dig up some old AS2 widget files and create an AS2 version, but it will probably be a while since I'm going away for business soon.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Thanks for explanation. I am bound by company regulations / our LMS etc so dont think I can switch up to AS3. I have asked but dont expect to get a positive reply.

On that basis, I will hang on until you kindly create the same "Restart Slide" widget for AS2.

Thanks in advance,

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for the great suggestions and thank Michael for creating that widget.  That really helps me out a lot.  I'm hoping to learn more about creating widgets soon myself.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

I am new to Captivate (started a few weeks ago with v5) and this forum.

I was also wanting to be be able to replay the current slide in one of my upcoming projects and was thinking of a solution along the following lines,

1. Create an Advanced Action (eg SetFrame) that assigns the rdinfoCurrentFrame variable to a User Variable (eg FrameNo).

2. Set the On Enter action for the slide to execute the advanced action SetFrame.

3. Create a second advanced action (eg SlideReplay) that sets rdcmndGotoFrameAndResume to the User Variable FrameNo

4. Assign the SlideReplay advanced action to the button action

All going well when the slide is entered the current frame number should be saved in the user variable and when the button is clicked the playhead should jump back to that frame.

As I said before I am new to Captivate and still finding my way around, and keen to start having a look at widgets.

cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you back from your business trip and any chance you can create the back to start of slide widget for Captivate 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Yes I'm back now and trying to get through the backlog of emails ;o)

I'll see if I can take a look at it this weekend and sort it out.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael, you are a star!

Noel Griffiths, Bhm MV-TI

Corporate Customer Solutions

I hear and I forget <> I see and I remember <> I do and I understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the AS2 version of the Replay Slide Widget: http://www.cpguru.com/2010/10/02/as2-replay-slide-widget-adobe-captivate-4/

It will work with Adobe Captivate 4 and it could also work with Captivate 3 even though there are no promises and I haven't tested it with CP3.

Enjoy!

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many many thanks!

Noel Griffiths, Bhm MV-TI

Corporate Customer Solutions

Tel +44 (0) 121 352 2540

Mob +44 (0) 7785 388 336

@: noel.griffiths@kuehne-nagel.com

I hear and I forget <> I see and I remember <> I do and I understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Just wanted to thank you again. Just created a project today (in Cap v4) and used your "replay" widget.

It worked a treat...

Thanks

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Your welcome - Glad it was useful for you ;o)

Best regards,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this discussion is a bit old; however, I have a query that is somewhat (but no exactly) the same as the original one posted here.  Let me set up the scenario to explain what I need to happen:

1.  I have a project with a click box over an icon a team mate created. Once clicked, this will send the user to an external URL (a glossary of terms for this specific project).  This part was easy to create.

Now, the total action we want to achieve is:

1. User clicks click box goes to glossary

2. While this happens the slide (project) stops playing

3. When user closes out of glossary the slide resumes playing

Keep in mind all users will not access the glossary so all the above should happen only if/when a user does need to access the external file!

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

MarrUser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that it could be done, but would require a more elaborate widget and some JavaScript / Flash stuff on the glossary page.

Basically I would code the "link" from Captivate to the glossary as a widget. This widget would pause the project, open the glossary and set a variable / cookie on the users computer. It would also continiously listen for changes to this variable.

The glossary would need to have some JavaScript that would change the above mentioned variable / cookie once the window is closed. Ideally this would mean that the Captivate Widget would pick up on this and resume the project.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for the information!

Is there already a Restart Slide Widget that exists somewhere and if not, how do we build it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources