Skip navigation
Rosey2010
Currently Being Moderated

LR3 student edition - upgrade?

Sep 18, 2010 4:20 AM

Hi All,

I have searched the older threads but was unable to find a similar question (unusual, unless I haven't searched properly!).

I am based in the UK and looking to purchase the student version of Lightroom 3. I was under the impression that the student version was not upgradeablebut the educational version was (or is that just for CS5 etc?). I can't seem to locate the educational version so if I purchase the student version, can I upgrade this at a later date i.e. to LR4 etc? If so, would the cost of the upgrade be the same as someone upgrading from a 'normal' version of LR3?

Thank you in advance for any help / advice offered.

best regards,

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2010 4:47 AM   in reply to Rosey2010

Hi Rosey

I don’t think Adobe offers upgrades on these products and it would normally be cheaper to purchase another student version.

However as academic status can change every semester or quarter Adobe require proof of eligibility with every order.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2010 2:15 PM   in reply to 99jon

I think you could be right, 99jon, as I was considering buying the student edition,and read somewhere a long time ago that there was no upgrade path for it, but try as I might I can find absolutely no reference to this limitation anywhere on the Adobe site. I'll just try again and let you know if Ican be more sucessful this time...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to 99jon

Just been looking hard at the Educational store (for the US of A) and amongst all the expected warnings about eligibility etc, there is absolutely nothing saying that student versions are not upgradeable in the usual manner; in fact, in a footnote, there was a clear statement that products bought from there were exactly the same as the commercial versions.

So I don't know what to think, and after looking for it, couldn't see any page on the Adobe site that allowed you to ask some one there the actual situation; I know it's frowned on normally, but if anyone from Adobe reads this, can they tell us the position in this case?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2010 4:15 PM   in reply to johnhawk666

Based on my experience, LR "student discount" versions are upgradable like any other.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 4:11 AM   in reply to PIRose

That sounds great, PI, but by "experience" do you mean that you have upgraded successfully a student copy of Lr to a new version?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 2:55 PM   in reply to Rosey2010

That's great. Thanks for taking the time to find out and for telling us.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points