Skip navigation
Choichai
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with opening Adobe Reader 9 or pdf files

Sep 12, 2010 2:21 AM

Hi,

Can someone please help me resolve this problem?  I had no problem using Adobe Reader 8 but since removing Adobe Reader 8 and download the updated Adobe Reader 9, I cannot open any pdf files or the Adobe Reader 9 (on desktop) without receiving the following error message:

"Adobe Reader 9.3 has encountered a problem and needs to close".  I tried several times to download and reinstall Adobe Reader 9 without any success.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,

Choichai

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2010 6:50 AM   in reply to Choichai

You have not mentioned your os. If your OS is VISTA or earlier you can try to use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool. First uninstall, then use the Cleanup tool, then re-install.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2010 8:42 AM   in reply to Choichai

I seem to have a related issue.  I don't get any error message but my computer freezes

when I try to open a PDF file with Reader 9.  My OS is Vista.  Any help please?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to Choichai

We are having a similar issue.  We are using Windows XP Pro SP3, IE 6 and some PC's 8.  We had no issues viewing PDF's from the Browser on Adobe Reader 8.  As soon as we installed the latest version of Adobe Reader 9.3, we can not view PDF's on the web from some websites.  We get a red X.  We have tried some of the other troubleshooting articles, and have had no luck finding a resolution.  Can someone help?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 10:47 AM   in reply to JenniferS123

Can you please share any such pdf  with us??

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to vsh07

No I am sorry I cannot share the PDF's, they are not public websites.  One website is with a contracted ASP(Application Service Provider), and the other pdf's are internal on our intranet.  The ASP tells us the Adobe Reader is required to open the PDF from their website, but they do not support Adobe if we have issues.

I can download the PDF from a PC that has Adobe Reader version 8 and open the PDF from the PC with Adobe Reader 9.  However, I can not pull up the same docuemnt from within the Internet Browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 1:48 AM   in reply to Choichai

We have this problem with Macs: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (PPC) and Reader 9.3.0. Reader starts and then crashes immediately.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to JenniferS123

Hello -

We found the cause of our Adobe Reader 9 issues.  Adobe released Security Advisory APSA09-01 regarding Adobe Reader 9.  As a result, our company initiated a Group Policy (global setting change) in our system for users with Adobe Reader 9 installed on their PC's that disabled JavaScript in Adobe Reader.  As an End User, we could not see this global setting in the Adobe Reader preferences.  Our System Administrator had to remove the setting.  Once the Global Policy was removed, our users could view PDF's through the Internet web browser with JavaScript with no issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2010 12:04 PM   in reply to vsh07

It does that with any PDF file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 9:49 AM   in reply to Choichai

@Choichai,

Search the Adobe Knowledgebase for how to manually remove Reader. It will require manually editing the Registry. Be careful when doing so since it is possible to make errors that will require you to re-install Windows from scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 9:51 AM   in reply to jan rissss

@jan rissss,

You can try updating to a more recent version os Reader. The latest is 9.3.4. If that doesn't do the trick, download Applejack from sourceforge.net.

You can use this utility to fix permissions and to remove your user and system caches. This might do the trick.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 11:11 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

I already use version 9.3.4.

Applejack is for Mac OS.  I have Windows Vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 12:44 AM   in reply to Choichai

Hi,

where can I download Adobe Reader 8 (Mac)?

Jan

Op 20 sep 2010, om 09:26 heeft Choichai het volgende geschreven:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for coming back to me.  Remember when I've received the error message previously "Error 1327. Invalid Drive: E:\",  I've decided to try inserting my flash drive into the E drive (since I've downloaded the Adobe file previously from my flash drive to my desktop pc) and then try removing the Adobe Reader 9.3.4 and it works!!!!  I am now working with the earlier version ie. Adobe Reader 8 which works fine.  I would like to try again to download the Adobe 9.3.4 but have previously tried 3 times and failed.  What else can I try to do to download, install and run this latest version without experiencing the same problem over again? Thanks.

Regards,

Choichai

>

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to Choichai

I am using Adobe Reader 9.0 and having errors File does not begin with '%PDF-'. and the files don't get opened. But same files can be opened from spicer view. Since clients are using the Adobe reader, I need a solution for adobe Reader urgently.

Can someone please suggest ?

Regards,

Ankur

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to A.B.Roy.

I'm also having a problem opening PDF files. I am unable to open any PDF in reader X or Acrobat 9. I get no error message the programs just do not launch. This has been going on for the past week.  I'm running Windows 7.

I've posted the same comment here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4297090#4297090

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points