Skip navigation
maretron
Currently Being Moderated

Application Loader unable to unzip .ipa file

Sep 11, 2010 10:56 AM

I am developing under Flash Professional CS5, working on a PC.  Using the development distribution files, my application builds and I can run it on iPhone, iPad, and iPod.  Now I am trying to get it to the App Store.  I have a distribution certificate which I got before Apple pulled the plug, and was able then to just change the extension to .zip and upload to the App Store (where of course it got stuck until now). This week I rejected my binary in the store, and built an updated version.  You can't just upload to the App Store any more; you need to use the Apple Application Loader. This, of course, only runs on a Mac.  So, I downloaded and installed the latest version on my Mac. transferred the .ipa to a memory stick, and gave it to the Loader.

I get this curt message    "Unable to unzip application"

I have tried renaming it to .zip.

I have tried extracting the Payload and zipping that up again (different error but still no good)

Has anyone else got any applications built on a PC uploaded recently?  Please tell what you did

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2010 12:07 AM   in reply to maretron

I'm having the same problem ... had an app approved last Friday 10th (originally built in CS5 under the beta program.

Now, have recompiled .ipa file under CS5 only to find iTunes connect will no longer accept uploads (in classic Apple bastardry, it forces us to use a Mac!). Downloaded the "Application Loader" for mac which will neither accept the following > 

.ipa files by themselves throw this error   "Unable to unzip application"

.ipa files renamed to .zip   throw this error  "Unable to unzip application"

.ipa files put inside a zip throw this error   "Unable to find an application"

Anyone have any idea how we're supposed to upload new versions of our apps onto the app store? This is a pretty big drama so any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Oliver.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 9:40 PM   in reply to maretron

Hey Maretron,

Thanks for posting that reply, nice work on figuring that out. I followed your instructions and it looks like we're at the same spot , I receive the error

"The signature was invalid, or it was not signed with an Apple Submission Certificate"

I'll post here again if I get any further.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2010 6:31 PM   in reply to maretron

Hey Maretron,

Had a breakthrough this morning. I basically had to revoke all my certificates and create new ones again, both developer and distribution, new .p12 file and so on and rebuild.

Zipping up and extracting the payload then transferring to Mac and trying those terminal commands did the trick.

It's now uploading to the App Store. I think they've changed something in the certificates since my originals were issued.

Thanks for your help, hope your app gets submitted soon. Oliver

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to maretron

I finally got it to work.  Im using a PC so I had to have a friend upload it.  Failed the first time, worked the second.

I revoked my cer's and recompiled the application.  I sent the .ipa via email to my friend.  Told him to rename the ipa to zip.

He had to unzip it with 7zip and then zip it with the Mac default compression application.  Then upload it with the .zip extension.

Uploaded Successfully.

Now waiting for approval.

Thanks for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 11:18 PM   in reply to JimmyInteractive.com

I had almost the same problem. I'm on OS X though. I have my issue solved but it took a lot of trial and error. There were enough clues on this thread though to get me there so thanks everyone. Here's what I went through and what I've discovered:

I compile with Flash CS5

(I was trying Christian's way on the commandline but I forget why I couldn't get it to work, must try it again now. ref:

http://blogs.adobe.com/cantrell/archives/2010/09/packager-for-iphone-r efresher.html)

This creates my .ipa file. I don't know if I need to use the commandline, but I did in order to rename the .ipa file to a .zip file. I then double clicked the .zip in the Finder which unzips it with the default OS X app, not 7 zip or something third party. This produces a folder called Payload. If my swf is set in Flash to publish to Main.swf, then inside Payload I see Main.app

I zip Main.app by right clicking it in the Finder and select the Compress option, again, default OS X compression stuff.

This is the correct way to create the ipa file, and produce the kind of zip file that Application Loader wants.

Along the way, I encountered some other distracting problems. I'll explain those now, but they are not related to the actual ipa/zip/unzip problem.

I had two errors, one about a bad bundle ID. This was in fact a typo I had by one letter. In my case it was ca.abcd.abcs in iTunes Connect, and in Flash CS5's settings, it was ca.abcd.abc. That was a forehead slapper I tell you.

The other error was my app not being signed with a proper certificate. I knew I was using my app store certificate, not my dev certificate (this is important btw). I tried revoking my certificate in the app store as @JimmyInteractive mentioned, but I don't think in my case this was necessary. I still had the same issue after revoking. Avoid this if you can because it's a pain in the a$$ to set up all your provisioning profiles again on iTunes Connect and in Keychain, XCode etc. Prior to trying to get everything up onto the app store, I had of course been developing on my personal device, with my developer certificate. What I forgot to do for app store distribution, is in Flash CS5 change Certificate to my app store .p12 file. I still had it set to my dev .p12 file. Doh!

After I did that and figured out the zipping stuff it all worked. Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2010 7:16 AM   in reply to Andrew Blair

What I forgot to do for app store distribution, is in Flash CS5 change Certificate to my app store .p12 file. I still had it set to my dev .p12 file. Doh!

I still got the error on no proper signed. What do you mean by your .p12 and the App Store .p12, arent they the same? I got my dev .p12 by exporting it from my keychain, and I've read somewhere across adobe iphone dev website.

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2010 9:19 AM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

The app store cert and dev cert are different things and created in different areas in the apple developers site. You have to pay for an app store distribution cert. The export you described to make a .p12 from your dev cert is the same process you need to take starting with your distribution cert. In the end you'll have 2 .p12 certs.   There's even a 3rd kind, for ad-hoc distubution that you can set up then export as a 3rd .p12 but that's only for distributing to other devices that you want to provide your app to without using the app store, FYI.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 1:17 AM   in reply to Andrew Blair

Thanks Windsurf22. That's certainly is my trouble/error.

I've paid the 99 already, but I thought the certs were the same, how can I differ one from the other on App Store and in my keychain, so I can export the right one?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 2:23 AM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

I think I found out what my problem is, I dont have the private key for the distribution certificate (on keychain i dont have that arrow on the item) to export the .p12 file... this is because I'm on a friends computer, now how can I set this up here?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 11:21 AM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

In the iOS Provisioning Portal at developer.apple.com, click on Certificates on the left, then there are tabs at the top. The left one is for Development (not app store), the next one is for Distribution (to App Store or ad-hoc). Click Distribution. Make sure you have a cert set up there, then once you see it there, click the download button next to it. Import that cert into keychain. You might also need to import it into xcode, can't remember if that's necessary or automated. Then you'll have the distribution cert in your keychain and will be able to export it as .p12.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to Andrew Blair

I've since done a little more experimenting. For the zip/rezip process, I can do it all in the finder. I don't need to use the command line to rename my .ipa file to .zip. I can also confirm, that Christian's way (http://blogs.adobe.com/cantrell/archives/2010/09/packager-for-iphone-r efresher.html) of creating the .ipa file from my swf works on the command line – the change for me was that the app-xml is quite different between the example one I had that came with the air sdk vs the one that the Flash CS5 Packager generated for me. I'm not sure that the schema is different per se, but at a glance the one that Flash CS5 created for me is much more pared down, less nodes. Therefore, perhaps the command line way of doing it was getting messed up by a bunch of nodes I had in there that apply to other AIR targets but not to iPhone targets. Like, I filled in a node that doesn't apply to iPhone so it got confused and stopped, or I was missing certain critical parts.

@Adobe What I feel is really missing is a document online that clearly spells out each node in the application descriptor xml to say what it's for, what's values can be, and when to use it vs when to omit it. For example, one node might apply to Android, but not to iPhone. Or might apply to OS X desktop but not iPhone or to iPhone but not Desktop...Another nice to have would be that the compiler would be more descriptive about a missing or ambiguous/invalid node/node value etc. If such a document exists, please point me to it! It would be awesome to even make an air app that generates this kind of application descriptor xml, which I'd do myself if I knew more about the xml schema rules.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 9:51 AM   in reply to Andrew Blair

Thanks to all, after lots of try/error I finally got rid of all errors and, made it to the store. I'll try to post a tutorial as soon as I have some free time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 10:03 AM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to JimmyInteractive.com

Followed what JimmyInteractive.com did... It worked perfect... cheers guys

|
    Mark as:

More Like This