Skip navigation
EdRoyLA
Currently Being Moderated

Premier Pro 2.0 wont startin Windows 7

Aug 17, 2010 5:06 PM

Unfortunately, I've just upgraded my OS from Vista to Windows 7 and now Premier Pro 2.0 won't run.

When I envoke the program the initialization screen appears, remains visable for about 1 sec then vanishes.  I've tried changing the compatabiolity mode to every possible choice and evcen uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ed

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2010 6:46 PM   in reply to EdRoyLA

Ed,

When PrPro loads, there is a tiny line of text, regarding what is being loaded. Can you tell us the last line of that text? If necessary, you can set up a video camera to record that Splash Screen, and then Rewind and Pause on that last line.

My hope is that is what is hanging up PrPro, though it might well be the next line - the one that we do not yet see.

Do you have a lot of VST's for Audio work? If so, those can cause launch issues too.

Now, I have to admit that I have never tried my PrPro 2.0 on Win7, so cannot directly comment there. The closest that I can come is some folk having trouble getting EncoreDVD 2.0 to launch on Vista-64. Do not recall any getting it to run properly, but then maybe I missed (or forgot) the successes.

Good luck, and maybe others can comment on PrPro 2.0 working on Win7. BTW - is this 32-bit, or 64-bit Win7?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 8:26 PM   in reply to EdRoyLA

Windows 7 didn't exist when Premiere Pro 2.0 was created, so there's absolutely no way that the program could have been written or tested for this operating system. This operating system is not mentioned in the system requirements for Premiere Pro 2.0. Premiere Pro 2.0 is not listed among the applications that we know work with Windows 7.

So, I am not surprised that Premiere Pro 2.0 won't start on Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2010 7:22 AM   in reply to EdRoyLA

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2010 7:35 PM   in reply to EdRoyLA

Ed,

I had the same problem.  I had PPro 2.0 on a purchased disc.  The install wizard would get as far as the serial number, but wouldn't accept the serial number.  Believe it or not, it asked me to input a serial number from an OLDER Premiere version.  Also believe it or not, I had my serial number from Premiere 6.0, entered it, and the PPro 2.0 loaded!!.

So I have Premiere Pro 2.0 on my Windows 7 computer.  It opens, opens files and displays the files properly in my workspace.  The problem is that if you click on the timeline, or the program window, or the effects window or anything, that window whites out and becomes worthless.  I will ask further in this forum if anyone has a solution to that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2010 12:47 AM   in reply to seiurus
    it asked me to input a serial number from an OLDER Premiere version.

That happens when you install an 'upgrade'.  You just need the old serial, you don't need to actually install the old version first.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to seiurus
    I will ask further in this forum if anyone has a solution to that.

With the Win7 OS, it could well be that you will need to upgrade your PrPro to a version that is certified for Win7.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 9:24 AM   in reply to EdRoyLA

Ed,

Glad that you got it installed, and thanks for reporting that Virtual XP did the trick for you. That is good info to know.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 1:14 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Still, there is supposed to be a work around

where PrPro 2.0 works in Windows 7 64-bit.
    When I read it, it didn't give an explanation.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to Al Volo

Post a link so WE will know what you read

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 4:47 PM   in reply to John T Smith

It's under the thread... 
    "Premiere Pro 2.0  Compatible with Windows 7?"

It's by Dejan Petkovski and it's the 4th post.

Now I've got an installation problem!!!

I recently upgraded [regretfully] to Windows 7 64-bit.

After I installed PrPro 2.0, the source window showed
    ghost figures overlayed with a solid mass of green pixels.

After reading all the forums, I decided to give up and
    install PrPro in XP-mode, which I was trying to avoid.

Now I can't Capture.  I've been using my PrPro for many
    hundreds of hours since 2006 using the same Canopus
    video capture card under Windows XP.  My computer has
    high-end features and is not lacking in capacity.

I'm using DV capture and Serial Device Control for a
    DVD player in order to test Capture.  I don't know if
    I should check the box for "Use VTRs internal Cue".
    I tried it an it didn't resolve the problem.

(I do not use Device Control because I have S-Video
    and RCA audio going into my capture card.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 1:20 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd,

See Haarm Millard's http://It will probably install without problems, but to run the program, you likely have to use WinXP compatibility mode.  answer to me Re : Premiere Pro 1.5.1,  in Premiere Elements 4 Forum it now works better than ever untill I up grade to CS5 in May.

Regards

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2011 3:24 PM   in reply to Bob Dix Photographer

Nobody on the boards had a solid answer for getting PPRO 2.0 working in XP Mode -- everybody's advise came through guessing and there were others who said it couldn't be done.  I got PPRO CS5 and had to get a Black Magic capture card to work with my 64-bit CS5.  After all my experience with 2.0, I still can't capture video through RGB or S-Video connections.  The "how to" is not addressed in any of the tutorials.  There is a lack of documentation for this.  No wonder everybody is going nuts!!!  No real support, or they already want to charge you as soon as you install it.  I'm still dead in the water.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to EdRoyLA

First off I understand this thread is quite old at this point, but having just installed Premiere Pro CS 2 I had the same issue getting the application to launch.

I am currently running Windows 7 SP1 on a quad core i7 with 8 gigs or memory. When I first looked into the problem I went directly to compatibility mode in the

properties and changed it to Windows XP SP3. After that did not work I tried SP2. Still no dice. Then I remembered there is an option in the contextual menu

of an executable called "Troubleshoot For Compatibility". This will take a look at the application and generate suggested settings. I did this and it has worked

fine since then. I will admit that I do not have a capture card so I can't verify that functionality. Additionally if the program is still generating errors you can go to

control panels and open the Action Center. After an application crash it will sometimes show an entry with details about the crash and options for finding a solution.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points