Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Long file name caused Encore to crash during transcoding

Mar 2, 2010 11:43 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I had some video and audio clips that I had to run through a converter and it added to their file names with their encode settings, etc.  When I went to burn the clips to a DVD using Encore CS4, it kept crashing on me when it went to transcode the files.

At first I assumed the files were corrupted or had some sort of problem with the way they had been encoded, so I re-exported them out of the conversion software a number of times using different settings.  Each time Encore would crash when it went to transcode them.  I even tried restarting the computer in Windows XP mode (rather than Windows 7 64-bit) where I have Encore CS3 installed and it was crashing as well.

Finally, I shortened the file names (just a guess on my part) and they all worked without a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If Encore had an error message come up to indicate the file name were too long, that would have been helpful.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2010 12:25 PM   in reply to Webshark2000

I have not seen it with long file names, but have with certain, seldom used characters (at least in file names), and also with spaces. I've taken to using the underscore, instead of spaces, like it used to be. So far, no issues. Now, I usually have rather short file names, so maybe I have just never exceeded some limit.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 1:37 PM   in reply to Webshark2000

I of course do not have a link, but I do (vaguely) remember this being discussed on the old forum... along with what Hunt mentions about odd characters or spaces in the file names

Since Encore uses Sonic parts for some (most?) of the work... and since Sonic does not communicate well with Encore when there are errors... bad or no error messages are simply a way of life when using Encore

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 3:29 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T., it was that discussion, between Jbowden, Neil Wikles and Jeff Bellune, IIRC, that led me to always use the underscore, though I had never encountered a problem myself. When those folk list possible problems, I try to listen. That was probably in the old forum and it's now lost and gone forever. Neil was citing several filename incompatibilities based on Sonic Scenarist, and it was postulated that similar issues could exist with the Sonic Authorcore. In that discussion, the underscore solved issues for the OP, and over time, many more dropped by to say thanks, as it had solved their problems too. Great thing about these fora, but brings sadness to me that so very much was lost.

At least I was able to finally read every post (except for the Mac Error Messages sub-forum), so I did get a wonderful overview of Encore and found solutions to so many problems - now, if I could only remember what those solutions were...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>now, if I could only remember what those solutions were

I sometimes can't even remember the Question, let alone the Answer!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 7:01 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

I will second that.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 8:28 PM   in reply to Webshark2000

I was using Encore CS3 on the Mac  and getting continual crashes.  So I bit the bullet and bought Encore  (i.e. Premiere) CS5 hoping that Adobe may have fixed the problem.  With CS5, the  crashes continued -- but at least I had a little more information:  Photoshop File Error -1. 

That information was enough to  lead me to a forum discussing the long filename problem.

I thought about  the long filename problem and decided to check my filenames and paths to  see what I had -- even though I use a Mac.

My project folder was  named something like "Something Blitz 2006".  I changed the name to  simply "Blitz06".  You can guess what happened after that.  I was able  to build and write my Blu-ray disc perfectly. That was the ONLY change I  made.

In hindsight, maybe I didn't need to buy Encore  CS5.  I wish I had known about this bug two days and $299 ago.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 10:01 AM   in reply to warnergt

Three attributes that seem to get in the way for Paths and Project/Timeline names, seem to be:

Long Paths/file names

Spaces in these*

Extended and even some regular, but uncommon ASCII characters

Much of this can probably traced to the Sonic Authorcore, that is the base of Encore (and almost every other authoring program). These observations have come mostly from Neil Wilkes, and is based on his use of the larger Sonic Scenarist.

In hindsight, maybe I didn't need to buy Encore  CS5.  I wish I had known about this bug two days and $299 ago.

If it is any consolation, CS5 has been getting rave reviews, so all should not be lost.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Mac's have had spaces in file names for a very long time, and Windows just a little less. It seems that something in the Sonic Authorcore just does not do well with them. Heck, as I do so much work in Encore, I find myself typing the old _ [Underscore], just like DOS days, even when the file will NEVER be used by Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 9:20 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Bill

I also have the same problem now...

I have shorten th paths names and file names to 6characters and as well as no spaces..Eg. Hant1&2

I am still getting the  Encode Failed message just after Transcoding started on .prproj(video) file.

What else I can try to get it going on Encode on Encore to make the DVD.  I have used ApproCS4 File >> Adobe Dynamic Link to Send to Encore.

Any other advice would b highly welcome !!

Thx

Pushpa

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 9:35 PM   in reply to nathapushpa

I recommend you avoid the ampersand; that's one of those odd characters that Hunt mentions.  I do not believe the underscore causes problems, and would use that.

At least one user reported a problem because the name of the project in the build panel had spaces.  (I think that's what is was; I don't think the blank makes the length likely to be an issue.)  so I'd check that too.

I don't recall if you said.  The best practice is to create a brand new Encore project with the newly named assets.  But revising an existing project often works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 9:55 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hi Stan

Thx 4 ur input to my prob.

I have removed the & from the file name..now it's Hant12..still does the same "Encode Failed" When start to encode the file.

All the file paths been changed to Hant12 also...no difference..

I have saved the file in Encore and started to Build..still the same error.

What a drama !! Never had this problem before...

The file size is 2.7GB out of 4.7GB DVD disk. Put a new disk also..still the same..

What else I can try??

Thx for giving me tips to  try out...

Pushpa

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 10:06 PM   in reply to nathapushpa

There are probably many causes for encoding failures.  I think long names is not a likely one, but one worth fixing, because it has fixed problems.

Are you "building" the project (from the build tab), or just transcoding (from the project bin)?

Is this a dynamically linked asset?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2010 1:42 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hi Stan,

Thx for the update.

Yes, I am building the project using BUILD Tab and using File >>>Dynamically Link >>> to Encore in Premiere ProCS4.

This is never happened to me before using CS4...do u think that I have to re-install the CS4 again..

Whot a tragedy I am facing with !!

Thx 4 all ur suggestions..

Reg

Pushpa

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2010 5:25 AM   in reply to nathapushpa

If you have not, I would first transcode the assets before the build.  In the project bin, right click on one of them and pick transcode now.  Are they set to automatic for the setting?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Webshark2000

FYI, Adobe has refused to fix this elementary, long-known problem as of CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to hpmoon

FYI, Adobe has refused to fix this elementary, long-known problem as of CS6.

Do you have a repeatable test you used? I'd like to replicate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to hpmoon

The "long file name," spaces and special character issues were first reported in Sonic Scenarist, as it appears that the same issues exist in some of the Sonic AuthorCore modules, that Encore also uses.

Not sure how much Adobe can do, until Sonic rewrites their code?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Ugh.  There are basically three people here, who show up repeatedly and relentlessly, always eager to explain that it wasn't Adobe's fault at first.  (FTC regulations require them to disclose that they're compensated by Adobe.)  I'm sure that even the actual authors of these applications don't like that first line of defense as it ultimately makes Adobe look bad, diluting useful feedback.  Yes, we also file bug reports and yes, this bug was reported several times ever since at least CS5.  Also, no reasonable user is too stubborn to shorten source file names, and that bug isn't the real issue -- it's that Adobe's applications (like this Encore example) simply freak out and crash over a well-known, clearly identified bug and then give no guidance as to what happened, or how to resolve it.  So Adobe customers spend hours trying to find the answer -- around the distractions of those three guys -- and increasingly lose faith in the Creative Suite.

Stan, thanks for a concrete question that could lead to diagnosis.  The file name that caused Encore to crash at the transcoding stage was not too far into the directories on my media drive, and named:  "KIMIKO ISHIZAKA - Goldberg Variations BWV 988 - 16 - Variatio 15 a 1 Clav. Canone alla Quinta__44k-16b (with leading silence).wav"  Once I halved the length of the filename (notably, while leaving in the spaces and dashes and underscores), it was smooth sailing.  So, you could simply rename any of your audio files to that, import the asset, and try to transcode at final output to see what happens.  Will be curious to know what you find, thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to hpmoon

"KIMIKO ISHIZAKA - Goldberg Variations BWV 988 - 16 - Variatio 15 a 1 Clav. Canone alla Quinta__44k-16b (with leading silence).wav"  Once I halved the length of the filename (notably, while leaving in the spaces and dashes and underscores), it was smooth sailing.

This filename has 105 characters plus 20 spaces, with the .wav extension removed.

I renamed an existing SD AVI to that name (with .avi rather than .wav of course). Imported as timeline to Encore. Transcode now. "Encode failed."

As expected, it makes no difference if you rename the timeline or the asset inside Encore - the real asset is still named as it was.

Remove spaces (and add characters to keep total at 105): encode failed.
    Remove parentheses and add two charactger: failed.

Instead of this name, just use 1234567890, repeated without spaces: 125 - confirmed failed.
    Trial and error eventually shows that 80 works and 81 fails.
    Add one space into a 79: works.
    Add one space into an 80: fails.

Add 24 spaces scattered in, for a total of 80: works.

I did not test any odd symbols or characters.

Edit: I did not test path length. Both hpmoon and I were using relatively short paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to hpmoon

This is clearly Adobe's problem.  It doesn't matter if they rely on third-parties for this software and sell for $799.  They are the point of sale.  They have known about this bug that cuases crashes for years.  It goes back to at least CS3.  They have done nothing to resolve this problem.

[profanity removed from post]

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to warnergt

It is perplexing. I have the following thoughts.

It is not uncommon for applications/fields in databases, etc, to have character limits. In the DOS age, you got only 8 characters to name a file. So one way to look at this is that there is an 80 character limit for filenames of assets. Not really a "bug." And like many of the error messages in Encore, "Encode Failed" leaves much to be desired. We could file feature requests asking for longer filename support. (I can't say that I would; I rarely use such long names.)

Encore should inspect the file upon import, and raise the red flag then.

While Adobe bears the responsibility for its software, it is true that a variety of their products are based on code written for precursor products. Encore was provided "free" with Premiere, and we really don't know how much of the current interface, abstraction layer, etc are now written by adobe and which are still original sonic or sonic revised code. As with any Adobe decisions, they weigh the cost of fixes/improvements against their priorities for lots of apps. And a rewrite of Encore from the ground up may just be too expensive in their view. And perhaps it would be in our view if we had to buy it separately.

So for those of you who feel passionately about this, file bug reports AND feature requests. I'll try to get around filing something for better error messaging.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I'll try to get around filing something for better error messaging.

Unfortunately, that's also been requested for years now, and never fully implemented by Adobe.  Some few messages have gotten better, but most remain as cryptic and unhelpful as ever.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Have you ever looked at the "error messages" folder in Encore program files? I can't see that it is used for anything. I think it was left over from sonic. There's a whole bunch of them...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan, when an application crashes because of a filename, it is a bug.  A correctly written application does not do this.

80-character string limits disappeared in all good applications ten years ago.

You cannot get Encore for free.  This is not a free application.

A fix such as this does not require a rewrite of the software.

You have a million rationalizations for Adobe's shoddy work and lazy support.  The full blame for this rests with Adobe.  If they don't have input or control of the software they sell, they shouldn't be selling it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to warnergt

I don't mind anyone being upset with Adobe over Encore's being the neglected stepchild. It is. And needs fixing. And Adobe's not being more transparent regarding bugs and fixes means we don't always know what they have fixed. We are more aware of aspects of the program that get improved (e.g. bluray chapter playlists). But explaining my understanding of the factors that may account for Adobe's apparent neglect is not the same as rationalizations. I agree that Adobe is responsible for Encore. And that responsibility includes any decisions that allow sonic weaknesses to continue under Adobe's name.

And anyway, I stopped way short of a million!

Yes, my "free" was in quotes.

Neither of us really knows for sure, but I suspect that this is part of the sonic authorcore, and that fixing it involves either a) investing resources in software workarounds or b) rewriting or c) paying sonic more money for newer options.

BTW, anyone know whether Scenarist has an 80 character filename limit?

It didn't occur to me till now that I was not seeing a "crash." I was getting a "Encode Failed" message. Is that an "improvement" from the earlier crashes (if I had to pick, I'd pick an error message over a crash) or is my test not getting the symptom others report?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan, your thorough test is winning, and I hope Adobe pays attention to how simple the fix would be.  If they don't....par for the course.

Your suggestion of at least parsing the filename upon import to prevent the crash, giving a proper error message, is the minimum and easiest solution that doesn't fall into the sonic-whatever excuses.  Great idea!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to hpmoon

It does seem a fine idea, doesn't it?

BTW, are you getting a crash or an "Encode Failed" message?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points