• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player deploy by GPO - not working

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been attempting to get Flash Player 10 (distributable verision, install_flash_player_10_active_x.msi) to deploy accross our network - three sites, around 100 computers total.

I've assigned it to Group Policy, the client machines pull it down and install successfully (it even shows up in Add/Remove programmes).

However it doesn't work. Whenever any user goes to a flash-based website they get a message telling them to download and install flash.

Has anyone else experienced this?

All our clients are running Win XP and IE8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not familiar with how GPO works exactly, but perhaps this site will be helpful. If I find another link, I'll post it.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

Perhaps another person will post that would be able to help more. All I could tell you would be Flash Player from a user to user basis.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure that you are deploying the activex installer (IE) and not the plugin (Firefox).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help guys. However I've read the admin guide cover to cover, and it's definitely the ActiveX version... still doesn't work and has to be installed manually for every machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACM-HLM wrote:

However it doesn't work.

Have you tried to diagnose one of the machines that was installed via GPO, e.g.

• what files do you find in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?
  • what is the content of the FlashInstall.log file in that folder?
  • is the Flash object add-on enabled in IE ?
  • does the Flash animation show at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ?  (What about the version information under it?)

P.S. you know that the installer does not run if any browser or messenger windows are open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response. I was waiting for another user to report this problem, and one did this morning.

- On her PC under c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\ we see:

FlashPlayerTrust (folder)

Flash10h.ocx

Flash10i.ocx

FlasInstall.log

FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.exe

- The content of FlashInstall.log is as follows:

=O====== M/10.1.53.64 2010-07-14+08-03-38.633 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\InstallAX.exe" -install activex -msi

0001 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX/ 2

0002 00000013 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10h.ocx

0003 00000015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe

0004 00000016 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.dll

=X====== M/10.1.53.64 2010-07-14+08-03-59.636 ========

=O====== M/10.1.53.64 2010-08-19+08-13-57.322 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe" -update activex

0001 00000011 0

=X====== M/10.1.53.64 2010-08-19+08-14-38.939 ========

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-08-19+08-14-39.179 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\DOCUME~1\CRICHA~1.006\LOCALS~1\Temp\1D.dir\InstallFlashPlayer.exe" -iv 0

0001 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX/ 2

0002 00001015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10h.ocx 5

0003 00000018

0004 00001015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10h.ocx 5

0005 00000013 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10i.ocx

0006 00000015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.exe

0007 00000016 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.dll

0008 00001032 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10i.ocx 80070005

0009 00000018

0010 00001032 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10i.ocx 80070005

=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-08-19+08-15-21.629 ========

- The flash object is enabled in IE

- When going to the Flash animation at the URL you gave, the animation does not show - there is simply a static image. However under version information: You have version 10,1,53,64  installed

This is a really bizzare problem that has happened on literally dozens of machines accross the company that I have deployed Flash to using GPO...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, There is a problem in the Flash folder. The file "Flash10h.ocx"  is indeed the previous version. This is confirmed by the test site that shows Flash Player version 10.1.53.64. That file needs deleted.

More importantly, the Flash Object in IE "Shockwave Flash Object" that you say is Enabled will also have a version number or it may say "Flash10h.ocx" or it may say "Flash10i.ocx. The latter is the latest version, 10.1.82.76 which is the correct version.

The Flash files are all correct (vs 10.1.82.76) EXCEPT that Flash10h.ocx. There is a conflict between the Flash Object in IE and the Flash files and that is because of the Flash10h.ocx. This is why you were not able to see the animation with the test site.

This P.S. that Pat posted is important since any browser opened or any application that uses Flash prevents all "old" Flash files from being Uninstalled, to wit:

P.S. you know that the installer does not run if any browser or messenger windows are open?

I hope this helps explain why Flash Player is not working properly. However, I don't know how it is rectified with GPO.

If this were just one computer, I would just advise to go to the Flash folder, right click on that Flash10h.ocx and Delete it.

How that is done under GPO, I don't know. But if the Flash Object in IE is vs 10.1.82.76, that would solve the problem.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eidnolb. Your post has been very helpful.

Since your last post another 7 or 8 users have had this problem. All have Flash10h.ocx in the C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash directory along with Flash10i.ocx. The problem is I can't delete Flash10h.ocx - I get an access denied message even when logged on as Administrator and with no other processes running. I've even used Process Explorer to search for any handles on Flash10h.ocx - there are none - but I still can't delete it.

Your point about running the installer when other programmes are running - this is not an issue. Group Policy software distribution automatically background installs software on the client machines during bootup, before anyone can log on. So I don't see how anything can be running already...

I'm not sure how to proceed with this. You'd think that Adobe would have scripted the MSI they provide for large-scale distribution so that it uninstalls previous versions of Flash player before running the install of the new version...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, Thanks for explaining about how the GPO works. I am sure that the MSI does indeed Uninstall all previous versions before Installing the new version. What Anti-Virus program do you use? I would think that this would/could block the Install of that. I recall another thread that they were having a very similar problem and finally traced it to McAfee Security and had to make some type of adjustment with that program.

What Flash Player version number is the Flash Object add on in IE? I can tell you that most likely the Flash10h.ocx was Uninstalled and for some reason the Flash10i.ocx Flash Object was not able to be Installed. And the Installer, being prevented to Install the Flash10i.ocx, "quits" and leaves in place the previous, which is the Flash10h.ocx. Just guessing, but I would say the Flash Object (Shockwave Flash Object) is version Flash10h.ocx.

On the forum here, this happens all of the time and the Anti-Virus programs must be considered and taken into account and I have to work around them to prevent them from blocking the Install of that ActiveX Control.

I would certainly take a look at your Anti-Virus program. That is one of the first things I inquire about when helping users on the forum.

I hope this helps and if I can find that other thread, I'll post it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found that thread that I mentioned in my Post#8, take a look. His solution is what I wanted you to see.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2948151#2948151

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help. I think you may be on to something.

We use Sophos Anti-Virus Enterprise. I'll have a look and see if I can exclude processes:

InstallAX.exe

FlashUtil10h.exe

Uninstall_flash_player.exe

from the on-access scanning as the poster in the other thread did - then re-deploy Flash, and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...I've been in to our Sophos Enterprise Console and added exceptions for Flash Player as above to our on-access scanning profile settings, as shown here:

sophosconfig.gif

I waited for these settings to take affect and re-deployed Flash Player using Group Policy.

The installation completed successfully as per the events logged on a PC I tested this afternoon:

Changes to software installation settings were applied successfully.

The reinstall of application Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX from policy London Software succeeded.

Product: Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX -- Configuration completed successfully.

However, it hasn't worked. Despite claiming to have installed successfully, Flash10h.ocx is still there - I can't delete it - and Flash Player doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the screenshot and latest information. I have sent a PM to someone here and hope they will be able to assist you. I have another idea, but have to be out for awhile and will see about that as soon as I return.

It appears that for some reason, something is blocking the Install. I have no doubt that the FlashUtil10h.exe is being Uninstalled, but I don't know what is blocking the Install of the vs 10.1.82.76.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I reviewed your thread and also the thread that I linked to above for you. And I am going to copy and paste here parts of that other thread and then my comments in bold:

The Access Protection - Anti-Spyware Standard Protection module was causing the executables (when installing) to NOT accessing specific parts of the registry to complete the installation.I think what he is saying here is that the Anti-Virus was not allowing certain executables to write to the Windows Registry.

I've had to make the following changes to my McAfee policies in order to allow the Adobe Flash Player Active X Control to install successfully.

InstallAX.exe

FlashUtil10h.exe

Uninstall_flash_player.exe

You might be able to make similar changes to your environment if you're using another product.

Processess to exclude:- He then made changes per the above, and in effect is changing the AV, to allow these 3 processes to write to the Windows Registry, as they were excluded before(hence the failure of the Install) The Installer must write to certain Windows Registries. SEE LINK BELOW FOR ALL WINDOWS REGISTRIES THAT IS USED WHEN INSTALLING FLASH PLAYER. BY ***

Now I'm going to your screenshot and comment. I do not know what this means: (copy & paste)

I've been in to our Sophos Enterprise Console and added exceptions for Flash Player as above to our on-access scanning profile settings, as shown here:

I don't understand what the "on-access scanning profile settings" means. That is one thing. Second in the screenshot, it shows specific items that are not to be scanned. Does this mean the same thing is being accomplished that the other thread was by allowing those 3 executables to write to the Windows Registry? Just asking so we are on the same page in what you are trying to accomplish with the items in the screenshot. Scanning to me may be completely different than what it means to you.

I am so out of my comfort zone as you can tell, but I'm just trying to help you since no one else is here right now.

You used Process Explorer and didn't find any handles for FlashUtil10h.exe. You would not find that in Process Explorer to the best of my knowledge and understanding. All Flash files are Installed in the Flash folder (System32). Flash Player is a browser plugin and works thru the browser, which is that ActiveX Control and it works with the Flash files every time you need to view Flash content, videos, etc. It is not a process that runs, like say your Anti-Virus or Internet Explorer. I just use the Task Manager for my Desktop to see what processes are running and I can check it as soon as I boot up, to see what processes are loading at start up.

At this point, do you know how many machines still have this FlashUtil10h.exe in the Flash folder? I don't know why you can't use the Administrator Account and right click on that file and Delete it. I would just guess that is a privilege that comes under Group Policy Settings. That would most likely be the IT Department(if that is you, I apologize:-)

LINK FROM ABOVE*** http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

The list of the Windows Registries are almost at the bottom.

Hopefully you will have an answer soon.

Thanks,

eidnolb                              P.S. I don't know how that paragraph was placed at the end of my post, but I corrected it.

Message was edited by: eidnolb   To correct placement of paragraph. and add P.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Regarding your point about our Anti-Virus. I’m still      investigating where/how you can prevent Sophos from blocking those      processes writing to the registry. I believe that the ‘On-Access scan      profile’ is what does this. I cannot find anything else in Sophos that      would prevent changes being made to the Windows registry – we install      around 15 software packages through Group Policy to around 250 machines      company-wide, all install properly except Flash Player (and without making      any changes to our Anti-Virus settings)

• I can remove the Flash10h.ocx manually by removing all the      permissions, taking ownership, removing the read-only attribute and then      deleting (see screenshot)

Image1.gif

***N.B. the example user shown here has Firefox as well as Internet Explorer

Image2.gif

• After deleting Flash10h.ocx, if the user now goes to the Flash      test page using Internet Explorer (http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/)      instead of seeing the static image at the top and a version number on the      right, they are now prompted with the yellow information bar prompting      them to install the Flash plugin. This is no good as users don’t have      permission to install software themselves (hence the reason to deploy      Flash Player using Group Policy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I will not be able to provide any additional help until I return from Europe by the end of next week.

If I were in your situation, I would probably try to contact Adobe Support.  (I know that Adobe Support is not famous for its efficiency, but maybe they have some more knowledge about deploying Flash Player using GPO.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat!! Thanks for checking in. Hope you are enjoying your vacation:-)

Maybe your suggestion will be the next step. I've searched for many answered threads on the issue that they are having, but they are varied and don't want to suggest a solution that isn't exactly the same they are having. I certainly don't intend to add to their problems.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, I am a sys admin at a +300 company and we use Symantec Endpoint Protection. Problem started for us mid week last week. Had a rash of people saying that the browser was telling them that Flash was not installed even though it was and had been for some time. So, I made sure we had the most current msi and re-deployed the GPO. Now instead of a handful of people not having Flash working, the entire company is broken. What a mess!! Please tell me there is a (re)deployable answer for this - not going from PC to PC.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same sort of thing here - sophos/ gpo - redeploy - app seems to deploy successfully

installax.exe logs show:

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-08+16-20-16.260 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\InstallAX.exe" -install activex -msi
0002 00000013 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10i.ocx
0003 00000015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.exe
0004 00000016 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10i_ActiveX.dll
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-08+16-20-17.377 ========

However, what i'm finding is the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}  does not exist/get created

Having said that it's kind of mixed - when we push out a flash player update, we get some PC's work, some not work ;/

I've just been looking at one pc where i've tried manually running the flash player update (after gpo deployment), and get the following:

MSI (s) (70:C8) [09:51:47:864]: Note: 1: 2753 2: InstallAX.exe
Info 2835.The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog SetupError.
Error 2753.The File 'InstallAX.exe' is not marked for installation.
MSI (s) (70:C8) [09:51:51:468]: Product: Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX -- Error 2753.The File 'InstallAX.exe' is not marked for installation.

Looking at procmon.exe output %temp% points to c:\documents and settings, and the msi installer tries to open install.exe from that location where the file doesn't exist.

In c:\windows\temp there was what looked to be an *old* version of installax.exe - however, deleting that makes no difference to the other error. In the end in this case, hade to use the MSI cleanup utility to nuke the MSI registry entries for flash and rerun the installer.

Only other referene to installas.exe in the msi log is:

MSI (s) (70:C8) [09:51:47:253]: Feature: FlashPlayerAXInstaller; Installed: Advertise;   Request: Absent;   Action: Absent
MSI (s) (70:C8) [09:51:47:253]: Component: __ISRegistryComponent65; Installed: Null;   Request: Null;   Action: Null
MSI (s) (70:C8) [09:51:47:253]: Component: ISRegistryComponent; Installed: Absent;   Request: Null;   Action: Null
MSI (s) (70:C8) [09:51:47:253]: Component: InstallAX.exe; Installed: Absent;   Request: Null;   Action: Null

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same exact issue here (see my other thread here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/718387?tstart=0).  Adobe Flash 10.0.45.2 was installed and now we are getting users reporting that it doesn't work though it is installed.  We are now upgrading to 10.1.87.56 and I'm concerned this will happen again.  Adobe support wasn't much help at all.  I contacted them about four times this week with different answers every time.  I sent them the log file below and they said it doesn't really tell them much (go figure). 

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2 failed installed:

List of files under C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash:

mms.cfg

KB923789.inf

FlashInstall.log

Contents of FlashInstall.log:

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-38-19.239 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe" /RegServer
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-38-21.708 ========

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-38-25.474 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.1\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe" /RegServer
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-38-31.755 ========

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-51-43.578 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.2\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe" /RegServer
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-51-45.750 ========

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-51-49.406 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.3\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe" /RegServer
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-51-53.187 ========

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-52-48.641 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.4\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe" /RegServer
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-52-51.844 ========

=O====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-52-55.657 ========
0000 00000010 "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.5\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe" /RegServer
=X====== M/10.1.82.76 2010-09-14+12-53-01.235 ========

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke with our system admin who manages our A/V and he provided me with the log below.  It looks like our Access Protection rule is not currently enforced to block the flash installer.

9/14/2010               8:38:18 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe             Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder            Action blocked : Execute
9/14/2010               8:38:25 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.1\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/14/2010               8:51:43 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley               C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.2\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/14/2010               8:51:49 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley                C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.3\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/14/2010               8:52:48 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.4\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/14/2010               8:52:55 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley               C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.5\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/16/2010               9:18:27 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley             C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.6\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/16/2010               9:18:45 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley               C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.7\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute
9/16/2010               9:19:57 AM             Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)      BLIZCORP\tfinley               C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.8\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe                Common Maximum Protection:Prevent launching of files from the Downloaded Program Files folder             Action blocked : Execute

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dp, That log looks fine. The only thing I can't get past is that the Flash files are not Installed per that post, old version or current version. Just none at all. Something is blocking the Installation but what we don't know yet. Your efforts have shown that the AV can be ruled out. What about the Registry? Sometimes users are missing certain Windows Registry keys that the Flash Player Installer needs to write to or they have been corrupted. You can take a look at them here at this site. You'll need to page down about 3/4 of the way to "Common errors with Flash Player 10.1 Installation"(in red text). Then below that you'll see the list. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

I don't remember if I posted this on the other thread or not, but I'll include it here.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/enterprise_deployment.html

I cannot believe that Adobe Support for the use of GPO regarding Flash Player cannot help in this. Just working with users here on the Flash Forum can become somewhat troublesome, but at least I have my procedure to follow. How this translates over to the GPO I'm not sure.

More threads are popping up about this issue and or others are posting to threads already established.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had the 2753 error, indicating the .exe file was not marked for installation. In my instance I had 2 problems, one was that the install was running as an upgrade rather than a fresh install as I had expected (an uninstall should have run first) and the other was, my transform was not being used. When I resolved these issues the problem went away. For an upgrade install we had previously identified that the NewCustomAction1 Action needed to be conditioned "Not REMOVE" instead of "Not Installed" and the transform needed to keep the same name as the previous transform. We also had to remove the cached transform.

I was running the .msi which incidentally is available here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html. (someone was complaining it was difficult to find).

With a silent install and no transform, AgreeToLicense is set to NO, so that may have some bearing on why the file does not get marked for install resulting in the 2753 error (sorry no time to test this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought. I wonder if using Group Policy to manually set the permissions of the c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash folder to give Full Control to Everyone would allow the MSI installer to delete flash10h.ocx during the course of it's installation (as this file has deny permissions preventing it from being deleted by default)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're actually not deploying via group policy but Altiris.  Regardless, I've been deploying it the same way every month or so for the last couple years (as the patches are released by Adobe) and this is the first time I've seen this.  If it is a permissions issue, I wish Adobe would step up and tell us that they have changed the way the latest installer works and that is what's causing the issue.  Support is horrendous on the forums and on the phone (except for community that posts on these forums which is great). Has anyone trying installing regmon to monitor what is going on with the install/uninstall?  I might have to give that a try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines