Skip navigation
RichardLowes
Currently Being Moderated

Tone mapping

Sep 30, 2010 2:45 PM

Is it possible to use Tone mapping in LR 3.2,It works OK with PS cs5 but sofar no success in LR ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2010 9:28 PM   in reply to RichardLowes

Uh...there are a ton of "tone mapping" tools already in Lightroom's Develop module. Exactly what are you trying to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 2:47 PM   in reply to RichardLowes

Tone mapping as done in Photomatix  is part of one of the various workflows that allow one to convert a number of differently exposed shots of a scene to a single image with a wide dynamic range. I don't believe Lightroom provides any capacity for combining differently exposed shots of a single image and I doubt whether doing so would ever be part of its development path. Photomatix comes with an excellent LIghtroom plugin.

BTW, for windows users, Oloneo is a very promising beta of a new app for HDR imaging. Well worth a .look, IMHO, although it doesn't as yet integrate very comfortably with Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2010 3:55 PM   in reply to chickweed101

I really hate that “so obvious” Photomatix HDR look.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 10:28 PM   in reply to 99jon

My relationship with Photomatix has been troubled, but I have always been willing to attribute that to my failings rather than those of the program. It is very powerful and can achieve a wide range of "looks" as well as the stereotypical HDR style but I have never really learned to drive its user interface.  "It's me, it's not you" will be my parting words if I do end up duming it for the "cheese eating surrender monkey" charms of Oloneo, which is notably easy to - ahem - drive. Don't misunderstand me - some of my best friends are frenchies. Remembering that this is a Lightroom thread, I would end by saying that Lightroom integration will be a deal breaker for me.  At this point, Oloneo won't even  open tiffs exported from Lightroom. I have raised this with the developers but haven't had a reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 11:37 PM   in reply to RichardLowes

export in that case your HDR set from LR to CS5 and look there at the "tone mapping" possibilities specific for HDR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2010 2:06 AM   in reply to 99jon

Yes, so often an HDR picture produced by Photomatix (or other similar programme) looks as though it's made up of internally glowing elements - totally artificial to my eyes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2010 7:47 AM   in reply to 99jon

It's possible to make completely 'natural' looking images with Photomatix and other HDR software, the final result is the product of the operator not the vehicle. ;-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points