Skip navigation
marynacoetzee
Currently Being Moderated

Making a compliant pdf in PageMaker 6.5

Sep 29, 2010 10:44 PM

Hi there,

I've created a book in PageMaker 6.5 (on Windows XP) for submission to an online printer. I need to do the following: (but don't know how)

1. I need to create a PDF file. (Using the print option, rather than the export option)

2. The Pdf file must be "Save as" .ps (postscript) file

3. The Postscript file must then be distilled to create a complaint PDF file that I can submit for online printing.

I have the PostScript driver installed

I have Acrobat Distiller installed

Can someone help me please? I pretty much need a step by step process . . .

Thanks,

Maryna

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2010 1:56 PM   in reply to marynacoetzee

It's been a while since I made a PDF in PageMaker, but you have it right so far. You print to a PostScript file (I used to select Acrobat as a virtual printer on Mac OS9, but I don't know what you would do in XP). You then need to create the correct "job options" in Acrobat. These specifications you will need to get from your client. There is no way for any of us to know what specs they require for the PDF to be compliant with their needs, so you need to ask them.

Once you have the job options, you can either set them in Distiller, or create a watched folder in Distiller, which creates an in folder and an out folder within, and you would then drop the PostScript file into the in folder. If Distiller is running, it will see the PS file, distill it, and drop it into the out folder, along with the PS file and a log (if that's what your job options tell it to do).

You may want to tell us what version of Distiller you have to get more precise instructions, but until you know what your client expects, it won't matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 7:43 AM   in reply to marynacoetzee

Not being a Windows guy, I can't advise you about a system restore, but I know that PageMaker shipped with Distiller 3, 4 or maybe 5, so I'm guessing that it could have a problem with Distiller 9 (I've never tried it myself, but old and new technologies sometimes don't play well together). Does CS5 run under XP, or are you using the XP compatibility mode in Windows 7? There are lots of threads that talk about using PM on newer OS's, so you should consider whether that will be a problem for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to marynacoetzee

Maybe we're having a terminology breakdown. I don't think that the term "compliant" is a noun, but an adjective. I believe it describes the specifications that a PDF must meet to comply with the needs of your client, rather than something that anyone could examine and establish as "compliant" without knowing what it is compliant with. If that's correct, you could make a compliant PDF in many ways, but my suggestion that Distiller 9 and PageMaker 6.5 might not work well together had nothing to do with anything outside of that observation. All I know is that when PM 6.5 was coded, there was no such thing as Distiller 9, or 8 or 7 or 6 for that matter, so when these two programs have to "shake hands," all of the reaching will have to be back from Distiller 9, because PM 6.5 can't reach forward beyond what it could do when it was written. Will it work? Who knows—certainly not me. If I was going to try using 10-year-old software to fit a 9-year-old PDF spec, I might want to use a Distiller from that era as well, but maybe that's just me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 2:29 PM   in reply to marynacoetzee

I did a little digging and I can tell you that my PM 6.5 that I got in 1998 came with Distiller 3. I also looked up a little on PDF/X-1a and found that, while it is designed to take some of the guesswork out of PDF creation, it doesn't guarantee that the PDF will be as good as it can be. For example, according to what I read, there is no minimum raster image resolution required to be compliant with PDF/X-1a, so if you have a low-resolution image in your PM file, the PDF won't be any better. I only say that to warn you that what you actually do in PM will have some effect on the final PDF, and not just how you create the PostScript file and distill it. Here's a link to what I read: (click here).

Now, whether or not Distiller 3 (which came with PM 6.5) or Distiller 7 (the first version to include PDF/X-1a profiles) or Distiller 9 would make the best PDF I can't say for sure. You may want to ask some questions over in the Acrobat forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to marynacoetzee

Recommendations? Yes, listen to the printer!

InDesign is the way to go.

BTW, you should delete your personal information before replying by email. I'll delete all of that information for you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to marynacoetzee

Your personal info should not be posted in an Internet forum because it can be viewed by millions around the globe. They don't need to know data on you or your boss. Bob is right...don't include that info for your own protection.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to marynacoetzee

You may not be aware but when you reply via email, your post is going to the User to User forum. Putting your personal info on an internet forum is bait for spammers or worse.

Adobe has a very generous upgrade policy in force for Pagemaker to InDesign. Only $199. http://amzn.to/agAIo0

That's a steal and you should grab it.

By moving to InDesign you'll not only be able to design for print, but to EPUB, Kindle, and the iPad as well.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points