Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

5 Easy steps to get your iPhone Application Uploaded to iTunes via the Flash Packager for iPhone

Sep 23, 2010 6:20 PM

1. Go to the iOS Provisioning Portal and setup your Distribution Certificate & Distribution Provisioning Profile (this is Distribution NOT Developer so make sure you select the other tab).

2. Generate a .p12 Certificate from the Distribution Certificate (the .mobileprovision is fine how it is).

3. Within the Flash IDE select your Distribution Certificate & Distribution Provisioning Profile to be used then make sure you select under iPhone deployment type, Deployment - Apple App Store. Generate your .ipa file.

4. Transfer your .ipa file to a Apple Mac Computer, rename the .ipa file to .zip file extension, then extract the .zip file it will output a folder called Payload open it and within that folder will be a file with the same name as your Application. Right click and select Compress.

5. Now open up Application Loader and your good to go!

Ok well not so easy ...

Taken from my blog

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2010 3:03 PM   in reply to Sputn1k

So I've done everything mentioned in these steps multiple times, including going through the rediculously long and complicated process of generating all new Certificates. and it still is bringing up the error:

"Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid, or it was not signed with an Apple submission certificate"

Anyone have any ideas why this could be?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 3:45 PM   in reply to damiankeeghan

I got this error and it was a pain to get rid of, anyway, this is what I've done to fix it

- Goto iOS Provisioning portal and Revoke your certificate.
    - Delete your certificates from your Keychain Access

- Create a new CSR file, upload and create new Certificates (Development and Distribution)

- Download and install the new certificates

- Create nee Provisioning files

It' a pain going thru all this again, but that should fix the error. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 7:34 PM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

Hi ---

I really need help here.  I have an App ready to go but I just Can *not* get this sucker uploaded via the application loader.....

I followed these steps..

1) Revoked everything

2) deleted All profiles

3) Deleted keychain certs

4) deleted Keychain Keys

5) re-created requests, certs, profiles

6) recompiled my app with the distribution Cert I exported form Keychain

7) renamed my file .zip and extracted

8) zipped the app sitting in payload

9) tried to upload that .zip....

I get "application failed codesign"  UGH!

Someone please help me.  This is really frustrating.

Thanks very very much!

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 8:10 PM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

I followed Christian's advice and completely revoked everything and it worked.

I think it might have been because the email address used in my certificate was different to the one in the application. When I made it the second time I made sure they were the same, and it worked without an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 1:59 AM   in reply to tom65536

Hey Tom,

Are you sure the provisioning files gave the correct App ID and they have been created with the new certificate, yet, when you load the provisioning file on your Flash does it match the bundle ID you've created on the developer portal?

cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 8:50 AM   in reply to Christian Pugliese

Hey guys,

I knew it was my fault.  Found it -- I wasn't using the distribution provision when  compiling.

Thanks for the help!

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2010 1:33 AM   in reply to Sputn1k

I have read through all the information here (Thank you for all that BTW) and I have done everything here, countless times over the past few days and I cannot get beyond the invalid signer in iTunes; i.e. the last part of the synching process fails.

I have read through Adobe's information, Apple's info, watched a bunch of videos on the process and read all the posting here and I cannot figure it out. I'm on the Mac using Flash CS5 and my app is a simple test of the process; basically a "Hello World"-type.thing. I wasn't going to complicate matters with a large and complex file.

It's my understanding that the signer error means that there is a problem in verifying that the name attached to the file doesn't match the certifications. I heeded the notes about the email addresses, the name used when I registered with Apple, I have tried wildcards on the App Id as well as specific naming. I know I am at my wit's end, but I must say that the certification process is ridiculously long without any good explanations of what everything is doing. If I had a better understanding of why I am doing what I am doing, perhaps I could troubleshoot my problem. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know specifically which part is wrong.

If I can get this to work, I would be happy to make an clear set of instructions of the process for everyone else who will face this. I'm sure by then it will be burned into my brain that I won't need it LOL!

Any help would be appreciated

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 1:08 PM   in reply to Sputn1k

Worked for me. Thx.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 7:37 PM   in reply to Sputn1k

Thanks for the writeup, especially for step 4, describing the extraction and compression process for the .ipa file. It corrected several posts I came across elsewhere which simply instructed you to rename the .ipa file to a .zip file or to simply compress the .ipa file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 5:16 PM   in reply to Sputn1k

Thank you! Step 4 really helped us out also. Now just waiting nervously...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 12:33 PM   in reply to Sputn1k

Hi,

I've done all this and I'm still having issues.

The application uploads through Application Loader successfully, but then when I look at the app in iTunes Connect, the status, instead of being "Waiting for Review", reads "Invalid Binary".  Like such:

Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 3.28.18 PM.png

I'm running the latest version of Flash CS5 with the Flash Packager update installed.  I'm selecting the "Deployment - Apple App Store" radio button before I go to compile. I deleted all my existing provisioning profiles / certificates in the Dev Portal and on the Keychain and made new ones.  I'm using the Production p12 file and the production .mobileprovision file.  The App ID matches the one in iTunes Connect / the Developer portal and excludes the bundle ID.  And of course, I'm converting my ipa to zip, extracting the Payload folder, compressing the .app file, and changing the extension back to .ipa.

I really don't know what else to do at this point.  Can anyone help? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 12:39 PM   in reply to jtdodge87

Hi jtdodge87,

As far as I know, the latest version of the iPhone packager has solved this issue. So you shouldn't need to go through the entire rename to zip, unzip etc process.

Sorry, I haven't uploaded a package to the AppStore since the update, so I'm not sure, but from looking at the changelog it seems that this part was resolved.

Cheers,

Damian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2010 1:48 PM   in reply to damiankeeghan

Hey Damian.

Thanks for the tip! I finally got it working now. Had to recreate my certs and provisioning profiles again for some reason, but the .ipa file that Flash CS5 made indeed worked when I uploaded it.

Cheers,

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to jtdodge87

SAME PROBLEM!

INVALID  BINARY!!

I've tryed everything...
    zip the payload folder, zip the .app inside the payload folder.

I'm using the right name files from apple requirements ,
    because I saw this is one of reasons of error, ex: Icon.png - Small-Icon.png etc...

but the error still there.
    its hard to diagnose...

Theres one single human who made it? that could compile an iphone app by flash cs5, and submitted to apple store?!

GOD HELP US!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:06 AM   in reply to Sputn1k

I'm trying look that..

February 16, 2011 11:05

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 11:05

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 11:04

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 11:01

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 10:55

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 10:55

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 10:31

Waiting For Upload

Apple

Invalid Binary

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 10:29

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 10:18

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 10:18

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 10:17

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 09:37

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 09:37

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 09:35

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 09:23

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 09:23

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 09:19

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 08:51

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 08:50

Apple

Upload Received

February 16, 2011 07:35

Waiting For Upload

February 16, 2011 07:10

Apple

Invalid Binary

February 16, 2011 07:10

Apple

Upload Received

February 15, 2011 13:07

Waiting For Upload

February 15, 2011 13:00

Prepare for Upload

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:06 PM   in reply to caco_chapira

Hi Caco,

As mentioned a couple of posts above.. with the latest update of the packager, you shouldn't need to do the whole zip/unzip thing anymore. The file that comes out of the Flash compiler should be fine.

One thing to look at is to ensure that the email address you've used in each of your certificates, is exactly the same as the email addres you've used for your iTunes connect account (this can cause issues)

Cheers,

Damian

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to damiankeeghan

Hi damie tnx again.

my pack version is from (Oct 11, 2010) ...
    you mean, it should works just publishing, and uploading ? without, change ipa to .zip, and after zip the payload?

well i think it finally works now... at least the status changed for " waiting for review"

the last thing i have made was, change my provisioning distribuition id to the same app id, to the same id in the flash etc..
    there too much ids man... crazy... sumary: i have used the same "id" for all things " chapira" . and now looks it works.

lets wait... but im not 100% about the right process.

someone needs to make a videotutorial step by step for all the people!

man, i could publish to android market in 2 minutes...

tnx again! lets keep moving

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 2:10 AM   in reply to caco_chapira

My first app has was released in Feb 8. For me it took 6 days to get state changed to "In Review" and it was released the next day.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reaction-tester-pro/id417628409?mt=8&ls =1

scrhot_menu.png

It's a iPhone version of the simple coin-op speed/reaction test game. I enhanced it with 3 different modes Classic, Speed and Memory. It's a full game, really simple though . It took me only one week to get this project done from the scratch; including graphics, programming, learning mobile development quirks (of AS and Flash) and dealing with releasing my game without Mac (I'm now running OS X in VirtualBox in Win 7 to be able to use ApplicationLoader).

How I managed to do that with Win 7? Follow these steps (and don't forget to have all your contracts, banking and tax stuff correctly filled in iTunes Connect before anything):

1. Go to iOS Provisioning Portal and request certificates. As Windows developer use OpenSSL, here's how: http://windows-server-howto.com/2009/04/28/windows-server-2003-how-to- generate-a-certificate-request-csr-using-openssl/

2. Request both development and distribution certificates and download them.

2. Setup devices (you can get device ID from iTunes by clicking serial number in iPhone summary page)

3. Generate new App ID. Use something like com.yourdomainname.* for development purposes (so that you can use any name in Flash iOS settings for your development project e.g. com.yourdomainname.myTestApp)

4. Create new provisioning profiles for both development and distribution. Hook up the correct App IDs with profiles.

5. Download all certificates and profiles you just created

6. Convert certificates to .p12 with OpenSSL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GteMgFvA1Y

To test your application in your iDevice:

1. Open iTunes and drag'n'drop your development profile to library and sync your device

2. Check that profile is now installed in your device. Go to Settings -> General -> Profiles

3. In Flash iOS settings use your development certificate (give your private key password) and provisioning profile. If you used * as wildcard in your App ID just put there com.yourdomainname.anyNameThatYouWant

4. Fill rest of the settings as you prefer, you don't need icons for testing. If you want to use loading image when your app starts copy 320x480 png image named Default.png to directory where your fla file is and add Default.png to Included files.

5. Publish. I usually use Deployment - Apple AppStore to see the actual performance when testing.

6. Open iTunes and drag'n'drop your game ipa file to your device.

7. Done! You should now have working app installed.

To release your app in AppStore:

1. Go to iTunes Connect and Manage Your Applications -> Add New App. Here's info on that: http://www.idev101.com/code/Distribution/checklist.html

2. When you have all your App details, screen shots and all other stuff worked out, begin's the hard part for Windows users.

3. Since Apple decided to remove uploading apps through browser Windows users only option is to run Mac OS X virtually. For this I recommend using free Oracle VirtualBox (before that check that your hardware supports virtualization and enable that in bios). This is pretty straight forward but you may have some troubles depending from your hardware. Here's pretty good instructions to get started: http://lifehacker.com/#!5583650/run-mac-os-x-in-virtualbox-on-windows

4. Since the ISO you probably can find and run is not the latest version that is required to get your app released with Application Loader you then need to update Mac OS X. Before that, you need to backup the old kernel, see this: http://www.iphonemodding.com/forum/showthread.php?4644-Mac-Snow-Leopar d-in-VirtualBox

5. Ok, you're pretty near if you survived the last steps. Yet depending on your hardware you may have some trouble getting your ipa file to your OS X system. I couldn't get any usb devices working but maybe you can. Otherwise just ftp your file to some location (or email it to yourself) and download it with Safari in OS X.

6. Open Application Loader and upload your App and you're done!

Easy, right? . If you are getting some trouble with certificates or provisioning profiles it's probably your own mistake at some step. You may have used some wrong certificate or profile in some wrong place or something like that...

By the way, if you find this helpful, please spend $0.99 (or €0.79) to buy my app. It's nothing revolutionary really, more like proof of concept of this whole thing even working. Still a decent game with sounds, hi-scores and different game modes.

Apple sure hasn't made this whole process too easy for developers. I spent three days in struggling with things related to AppStore releasing and finally managed, thanks to many other helpful people out there! In comparison it took me about three minutes to start up a Android Developer account and release my game there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 4:29 AM   in reply to p3v1

NIIICEEE STEP BY STEP MANN

DOUBT:
    3. In Flash iOS settings use your development certificate (give your private key password) and provisioning profile. If you used * as wildcard in your App ID just put there com.yourdomainname.anyNameThatYouWant

this part is not so clear for me. what is ths domain or *? its mandatory or can i put anyting like " coolgame" i dont know. this is for what?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 5:36 AM   in reply to caco_chapira

are these steps the same also to release an iPad-only app?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 6:32 AM   in reply to caco_chapira

caco_chapira wrote:

NIIICEEE STEP BY STEP MANN

DOUBT:

this part is not so clear for me. what is ths domain or *? its mandatory or can i put anyting like " coolgame" i dont know. this is for what?

This is direct copy/paste from Provisioning Portal:

Enter a unique identifier for your App ID. The  recommended practice is to use a reverse-domain name style string for  the Bundle Identifier portion of the App ID.

Example: com.domainname.appname

So to answer your question: The domain name thingy is just recommended practice. If you have asterisk in ID like: com.whateverdomain.*, you can develop and test several apps with one app ID. Just replace the * in iOS Settings with whatever string you want. For example: com.whateverdomain.mykillerapp, com.whateverdomain.secondapp, com.whateverdomain.blahblah and so forth...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 6:36 AM   in reply to Ivan F. G.

Ivan G2011 wrote:

are these steps the same also to release an iPad-only app?

Haven't tested, but I don't see why not.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to p3v1

no, it seems is not enough... there is a problem of Bundle Identifier and of codesign verification during the uploading of the app (Ipad only)

gonna try to understand more reading this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/776806?tstart=30

but dosn't seem so easy indeed...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2011 10:58 AM   in reply to Sputn1k

hi there.

i have done exactly the mentioned steps and worked fine.zip file was verified and uploaded, now wait for review.

1000 times thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 11:18 AM   in reply to Sputn1k

Thanks for the info.

Vivo

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2011 8:01 AM   in reply to aviv_heiwleil

Hi folks - I have followed the instructions on this post, but unfortunately have several error messages when uploading from a Mac:

icon specified in the info.plist not found under the top level app wrapper: Icon.png
    icon specified in the info.plist not found under teh top level app wrapper: Icon-Large.png
    icon specified in teh info.plistnot found under the top level app wrapper: Icon-Small-50.png
    iPhone/iPod Touch:Info.plist:Unable to verify icon dimensions, no icon found.
    Your MinimumOSVersion is below 3.2, so you must define CFBundleIconFile
    iPad: Info.plist:Unable to verity icon dimenions, no icon found. You must define CFBunkdleIconFile, CFBundelIconFiles, or provide a default icon.png that is 72x72
    Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid, or it was not signed with an Apple submission certificate.
    Any clues as to what I missed?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 12:12 AM   in reply to Sputn1k

1. Open iTunes on your PC.
    2. To accord your contacts with iTunes, affix iPhone to your PC.
    3. When the iPhone figure appears in iTunes, baddest it.
    4. Click the Info tab on the right.
    5. Select the Contacts and Calendar analysis buttons and again accept Sync.
    6. Your contacts will now be attainable via your iPhone.

App Developer

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 11:51 AM   in reply to Sputn1k

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers