Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to insert special symbols (glyphs) in PS CS5 Mac OSX

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a font type that contains a special symbol.  Does anyone know how to insert special symbols (called "glyphs" in Adobe Illustrator) in Photoshop CS5?  On Windows I read about running charmap.exe, which I tried and worked.  I'd like to learn how to do it on the Mac platform.

Thanks,

Gustavo

-----------------------------

Owl Design Studios

Santa Fe, NM

owldesignstudios.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

You can set the type in Illustrator and copy to Photoshop.

You can also use freeware/shareware like PopChar on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the type in Illustrator and copy to Photoshop.

You can also use freeware/shareware like PopChar on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

Yes, I used the Illustrator method 'cause it was the only workaround I could think of doing .  I did not know about PopChar.  I'll check into it and update the post accordingly.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

PopChar worked like a charm -though not entirely "free" of charge I find out.  Thanks for the great tip.

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS X has a built-in solution you can try. These directions are for Snow Leopard. Go to System Preferences, click the Keyboard preferences, and in the Keyboard tab, turn on Show Keyboard & Character Viewer in Menu Bar. Now click the new icon in the menu bar and choose Show Character Viewer.

In Photoshop, if you've got an active text insertion point or selected text, you just bring up the Character Viewer, find the glyph you want to insert, and double-click it. Of course, not all glyphs are available in all fonts, so if it doesn't show up right in Photoshop you can use the Font Variation section at the bottom of the Character Viewer to find out which fonts have the glyph you want. Then you can set the font properly in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Conrad,

I don't have Snow Leopard installed.  Do you know if/how it can be done in plain ol' Leopard?  Just tried and did not see the options you describe.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Leopard on my Macs anymore, but I found Apple's directions for Leopard:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8164.html

The third paragraph tells you how to get to it. Note that Photoshop doesn't have the Edit > Special Characters command mentioned in step 2, and that's why you need to keep the Character Palette handy in the menu bar.

So you still have a free, built-in solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Conrad,

thanks again.  I did not see how one can get to the 'Font' section.  But it is very helpful to know this trick as well.  I jthink that Photoshop should have an insert 'Glyphs' like Illustrator does.

Best,

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might find this of some interest:

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/glyphspalette/index3.html

The (Hidden) Glyphs Palette

The Character Palette has two great features that Quark’s and Adobe’s glyph palettes do not. It can tell you which fonts actually include a particular glyph, and it can compare the same character in multiple fonts at the same time. Fortunately, you can use the Character Palette alongside QuarkXPress 7 and all the Adobe Creative Suite applications, too.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines