Skip navigation

Photoshop CS5 Clipboard Issue (Win 7)

Jan 3, 2012 12:13 PM

Latest reply: nothgirl, Aug 27, 2013 9:27 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2010 3:08 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

I never had it since I installed a Clipboard Manager. (Clipmate)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 3:38 AM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

Did you have the problem before you installed the Clipboard Manager?  If so, that might be the clue to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 4:36 AM   in reply to nickpudar

nickpudar wrote:

John,

Did you have the problem before you installed the Clipboard Manager?

I did but that was back in CS2 or 3

You could try a free trial to see what happens.

http://www.thornsoft.com/clipmate7.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 3:00 PM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

Unfortunately, the Clipmate product does not work in 64 bit environments.

Thanks,

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 2:03 AM   in reply to nickpudar

nickpudar wrote:

Unfortunately, the Clipmate product does not work in 64 bit environments.

It works fine on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 3:27 AM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

You're right -- I miss-read the ClipMate FAQ.  It runs as a 32 bit application, and then it goes on to say that some features of Windows Internet Explorer 64 bit mode don't work properly with ClipMate.  So I did not feel like it would help putting yet another application on my computer.  I'll have to try it to see, unless someone else who is experiencing the problem tries first.

Thanks,

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 1:49 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

I am experiencing the exactly same problem. Is there any solution to this? I have a user that uses Photshop CS5 64bit that only can paste the things that was copied before the program was started...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

I have seen this exact issue with Photoshop 64-bit on Windows 7. It's really aggrevating.

Taking a print screen, I usually paste it in mspaint and save that as a png and open the png in Photoshop, but that's not really an effective way of doing things...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 9:51 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

This does seem to be a Windows 64-bit version issue. I copy an image from a Web page. I can paste it easily into MS Paint, for example, so I know nothing is preventing the image from being copied to the clipboard. However, PhotoShop is showing nothing on the clipboard. When creating a new file, the option to size the document for the clipboard is grayed out.

Clearly something is preventing PhotoShop 64-bit from seeing the clipboard.

-wick

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 10:37 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

Since you are not able to copy paste files into Photoshop, use the drag and drop method.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 8:08 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

Hi All,

Just wanted to add myself to the list of people suffering this problem. Interestingly with CS4 PS-64bit, not CS5.

Windows 7 Ultimate (Ultimate indeed...) 64 bit. Minimalistic start-up, tried running no other software and killing processes all to no avail.

Otherwise exactly the same issue.

Copy item, open PS-64, new document = correct document size etc.

Try and copy item after PS-64 already open, no dice. I tried purging the clipboard in PS-64 and after that the paste options are completely greyed out regardless of what you try to copy.

I am specifically trying to copy images from ID to PS. Bad form I know, but for what I am doing, if the clipboard was working, it would be much quicker than retrieving the original images, merging, cropping etc.

Drag and drop works, but this is no good if you want to create a new document from the clipboard.

So rather than just a CS5 issue, it appears to be a Windows 64 bit/PS-64bit issue, regardless of release.

Cheers, J

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 3:24 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

CS5 Photoshop on Mac

My issue with the clipboard is slightly different.

We often have to copy a pic from Word, then paste it into Photoshop.

With CS5, when I hit new... the window that opens is for a much smaller file...

ie on the clipboard is a 26MB pic, but CS5 cuts this to about 350K

CS4 does not have this problem.

Any idea what's going on?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 3:28 AM   in reply to Ron Pearson

You will have to ask the MAC forums.

I am guessing it is normal for a MAC to lose over 25 mb of data.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

Nobody have talked about the fact that is an old bug. Photoshop have clipboard discontinuity problems since a long time, about since version 8.0 (CS). In some distributions, you could find a AlwaysImportClipbd_ON.reg file to update your registery. This bug fix used to not work for everyone.

The trick was:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\$version$]
    “AlwaysImportClipboard”=dword:00000001

After many years, this bug is still here and still difficult to fix...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 9:43 AM   in reply to Lacrymocephale

We have been trying to reproduce this at Adobe for some time now.  Nobody who has tested this inside of Adobe is able to reproduce this issue.  I am not doubting your findings,  I am just saying that we are not able to reproduce the problem.  Their has to be some sort of configuration or difference that we do not have locally.  If I understand the steps.  They are this.

1. PS unlaunched

2. open web page and right click on image.

3. Select copy from context menu

4. Launch PS

5. select different image and copy or print screen

6. Create new in PS

7. Paste

Result:  The first images is pasted but not the second image as expected.

If I have the steps incorrect please alert me.

Can you think of any special settings or apps you have present on your machine?

1. Try trashing your prefs.  Ctrl+alt+shift on launch.  OK the trash prefs dialog.

2. In the PS directory out a ~ in front of your plugins and relaunch PS.  This will cause plugins to not load.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 10:52 AM   in reply to David Dobish

Well I have found this rather interesting!

On further investigation I now have no problem pasting different size images from web or other sources into new documents and having PS-64 correctly set up for what is on the clipboard.

I did however add the registry entry as per Lacrymocephale's post before testing this, so that could have been the remedy.
    I added the entry as a new 64-bit Q-Word value.

My problem pasting images into photoshop from Indesign persisited though...

until...

I deleted (after searching for prefs) 3 files called "PhotoshopIimporterPrefs.eve"

After restarting PS-64 it now works correctly again, creating new documents according to what is on the clipboard. Sweet!

I consider this an easy fix if it happens again and therefore, for me anyway, solved.

Many thanks to Lacrymocephale and David Dobish for the advice and clues on where to look for solutions to this!

I'm chuffed! J

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 11:12 AM   in reply to Jonathon P

One other thing.  If you see the problem again I would like to see a screen shot of "task manager".  See my screen shot for an example.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 11:17 AM   in reply to David Dobish

No Problem - will do! (Have bookmarked this page)

Thanks again - J

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 12:14 PM   in reply to David Dobish

Let myself explain few things about how I know this bug and how I came to this forum today.

I have experienced this with CS2 and CS5, always under Windows XP Pro.

When I had CS2, I have tried to uninstall the Microsoft Office clipboard, nothing changed. Then, I try the Clipbook service on and off, and still nothing change. The bug is clearly really hard to reproduce. And my today experience is in a way proving it:

The Photoshop Clipboard run off during a session. I was working, sometime pasting screen capture in Photoshop. I leave my computer after having lock the session, I came back pasting was unavailable. I remember that when I got this bug under CS2 it was not always because of locking the station. It was during a session. And relaunch Photoshop changes nothing. I got to reboot to have the clipboard working again. With CS2, I have also experimented pasting in 2 colors only.

Next time the clipboard will unwork, I will try to purge it. But I remembered that this changed nothing while using CS2 so I didn't even try this morning. If I someday manage do determinatively reproduce the bug, I'll make a report.

CS5 is disappointing. I also got some serious problems with my Wacom Intuos 3. During the same drawing session, some strokes I got pressure recognition, some strokes not. But this an other story... Still loving Ps either.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2010 3:58 PM   in reply to Jonathon P
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jonathon P wrote:

I added the entry as a new 64-bit Q-Word value.

You'd need confirmation from Adobe to be sure, but a quad word value is probably not the right choice.  I assume you did this because Photoshop is 64 bit, but it's not likely the Adobe programmers changed the registry access function (if it still exists) to use a quad word instead of a double word just because they're compiling for 64 bits.  The size of registry access functions is not normally tied to the natural integer size; you have to specifically code them to a particular data type.

Honestly, I've never tried reading a quad word from the registry with a double word access; since the Intel processor is little-endian it may well work out to the same thing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2010 2:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

i had exactly the same issue with clipboard in PS CS5 described by David Dobish above. I solved it by removing Selective Tool (64 bit) Pluging from NIK SOFTWARE. Now clipboard works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2010 3:09 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

I can confirm that uninstalling Alien Skin Exposure 3 fixes the issue!

As this issue apparently occurs with a few different plug-ins, I wonder what those plug-ins have in common.

Is it an issue with the plug-ins, or with Photoshop when the plug-ins are installed?

It would be great if Adobe could install Alien Skin Exposure 3 and see if they can finally reproduce the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Try Edit>Purge>All

I had the same issue and that solved it in my case.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 2:37 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

The Edit>Purge All  did not work for me.

I can't pin down when this started happening but I did install the 64 bit version of Nik Silver Efex about the time this started and I will try uninstalling and see if that fixes the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 5:51 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

*** I have solved the problem ***

Using Windows 7 64-bit with CS5 64-bit.

I used to have that issue and I solved it by removing a bunch of "crap apps" from my comp. I can't tell after which one it worked but here is the list of things I've uninstalled:

- VMWare Workstation.

- All Apple stuff.

- Flash.

- Disabled a bunch of Adobe start-up executables in msconfig.

- Disabled Java in msconfig.

- GoogleUpdate.exe (renamed the exe so it doesn't start).

I think this is it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 4, 2010 6:38 PM   in reply to asdasd232d

Not surprising.

FYI I run VMware Workstation and never see clipboard problems.

Apple and Google software would be VERY likely suspects though.  Neither of them have any interest in improving your PC computing experience.  Far from it!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2010 2:10 AM   in reply to studio aquarel

I can confirm that the problem occured after installing 64bit plugins by NIK Software (Color Efex Pro or Viveza). When deactivating the "Selective Tool" in the plugins folder then the clipboard works fine again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

I deactivated the Selective tool in Efex Pro and the clipboard function works fine but Efex Pro will not create the new BW layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 5:48 AM   in reply to JanGeloen

I've got the same problem too.

I tend to Alt-PrtScn and paste into Photoshop CS5, but I've not been able to work out why it sometimes works and sometimes does not.

I am also using Nik Color Efex, and have recently upgraded to the 64-bit version. I couldn't tell you if this problem started before or since. I always stop the Nik Selective tool from loading with Photoshop, I even tried removing it, but it stopped Color Efex working properly.

I have also noticed that MS Outlook 2003 stops responding sometimes when Photoshop is open. It resumes as soon as I close Photoshop. I thought I'd mention this, as it was a google search for "Photoshop CS5 Outlook 2003" which brought me to this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 11:34 AM   in reply to Yammer

We appreciate all your help diagnosing this problem.  I have sent your issues off to our team and Nik software to see if we can get to the bottom of it. I do not have anything concrete to share at this point, but I wanted to let you know that we are looking into the issue.   I hope to have something in the near future.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 12:12 PM   in reply to David Dobish

Hi,

To follow on Dave's email, can those that found disabling Nik Selective Tool works around the problem please post the version number? You can find it by going to Help> About Plug-In> Nik Selective Tool... (when the plug-in is not disable, of course).

Thanks in advance!

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 12:20 PM   in reply to SG...

Is there an easy way to disable the plug-in? Or is it still the old tilde-in-front-of-the-filename method?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 12:28 PM   in reply to Yammer

Tilde in front is still the tried and true method.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 12:37 PM   in reply to SG...

Confirmed.

Disabling the 64-bit 'SelectivePalette.8li' fixes the clipboard problem for me.

v. 2.006 - 8263

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 1:21 AM   in reply to Yammer

Same with me:

v. 2.006 - 8263

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 6:30 PM   in reply to JanGeloen

Success! Disabling the SelectivePallet also solved the problem for me.  My version is 2.005-6616.

Thanks everyone!

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 12:23 AM   in reply to Yammer

Just in case anyone was wondering, 64-bit pasting is still broken with the latest version of Selective Tool (2.006 - 9162) which comes with DFine 2.107.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points