Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

2 pass f4v fails at start of second pass

Sep 7, 2010 11:05 AM

Has anyone had problems with f4v export in AME?

Single pass CBR is OK but when I created a preset with 2 pass VBR (tried various different settings), the encode fails just after it starts the second pass with an error compiling movie - unknown error.

No problems with any other encodes that I know of.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2010 2:32 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Paul, try cleaning your media cache and delete your preferences.  If that doesn't work, I'd publish your exact F4V settings to see if there's something that flags the attention of the community here.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 6:46 PM   in reply to dradeke

Hi,

Coincidentally I am having the same problem (or at least a similar problem).  I've been trying to output some .f4v files in AME CS5 and, though I am able to successfully render out CBR and VBR 1 pass, it fails when I bump it up to 2 pass. Like the original post, the error occurs at the start of the second pass.

Here are the settings I am trying (as requested by a client for several animated pieces in .MOVs.  I can tweak some things, but the goal is to keep the file size down without incurring terrible quality):

- Video: 640x360, Same as source fps, Progressive
    - Audio: AAC, 96 kbps, 44.1 kHz, Stereo
    - Bitrate: VBR, 2 Pass, Target 0.60 Mbps, Max 10.00 Mbps

- Keyframe Distance: 120 frames

The sources range in frame size and fps, but so far nothing has worked in 2 pass VBR.  As soon as I change it to 1 pass or CBR, it works fine.

I've tried cleaning the media cache, but it didn't seem to help.  I'm using a 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac with 4 gigs of ram.  Let me know if anyone has any thoughts!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 6:24 AM   in reply to pemling

I'm no expert, but I would look at the wide variance in your bottom and top encoding rates

as a possible culprit.

Try making it tighter - say 2Mbps - 6Mbps and see if that works.  Also try what I had recommended earlier - trash the prefs and clean the media cache.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 10:24 AM   in reply to dradeke

Well I have cleared the media cache, but I'm not sure if I cleared them correctly.  I've read two possible ways to do this, holding command + option + shift while opening the application and to actually go to /users/preferences/adobe/ and physically delete the preference files there (I'm a bit hesitant to do that entirely, so I've backed up the files just in case that wasn't the proper way to do it).  I've tried them both, clearing the cache each time, but it doesn't seem to get my VBR 2 pass working.  Perhaps I need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall?

I've tried to play with the bitrate settings quite a bit.  Every setting I try fails right at the start of the second pass:  my original settings, 2Mbps - 6Mbps you suggested, the Low, Medium, High presets and several other variations.

I've also tried turning off various settings I'm using as well (like resize video, keyframe distance, and audio), and the only thing that seems to be affecting it is when I'm using VBR 2 pass.  1 pass works without a hitch, as does CBR... It just seems like the problem lies with trying to do a second VBR pass.

Thanks for the help so far, I wish I had more success to report back!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 3:08 PM   in reply to pemling

UPDATE:

Well, after much failing I finally got it to work... after reinstalling Media Encoder.  Luckily I was able to just reinstall that portion of CS5, so it didn't take terribly long.

After that, I remade my preset and BAM!  I can now do VBR 2 pass!  Weird that it didn't work before, I guess something must have hiccuped during my first install.  Perhaps that's what happened to the originial poster?  I'd recommend trying an uninstall/reinstall of Media Encoder and seeing if that helps.

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 3:51 PM   in reply to pemling

I am having the same problem with the CS5 Media Encoder on 64-bit Windows 7.  As soon as the second pass starts, the encode fails and leaves an exclamation point in the Encoder queue.  The partially built file cannot be played.  This only started happening with the recent 5.0.1 update.

How did you uninstall just the Media Encoder?  I would like to try re-installing it but it seems to get installed along with a couple components of CS5, like Flash and InDesign.

Encode Specs:

F4V, no resize, fps same as source, de-interlaced, AAC, 96kbps, 44.1kHz, Stereo, VBR, 2 Pass, Target 0.90 Mbps, Max 1.20 Mbps

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 7:15 PM   in reply to JBrandner

Hmm, well I just popped in my install discs and, under Flash, just clicked the box for Adobe Media Encoder.  It may have reinstalled Flash as well (I went out and grabbed some food during much of the installing, so I missed the specifics of what happened).  I guess that might be a price you'll have to pay in order to get a second pass of VBR...

I guess back up any files, plugins, settings, etc you may have for Flash and reinstall.  I can't guarentee that it'll work for you, but I hope it does!

Also, now that you mention it, I *did* do an Adobe update prior to all my issues and I haven't run the updater since reinstalling...  Perhaps it's an issue with an update for something?  I guess I'll have to see if an update renews my problems... After I finish converting things for my current project.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2010 11:08 AM   in reply to pemling

Thanks for following up.  I tried your method of just reinstalling Media Encoder from the install media and watched what it did.  I chose the Media Encoder option from InDesign instead of Flash since I don't use that as often.  I unchecked everything EXCEPT Media Encoder, but as it ran it still listed all sorts of applications it touched during the install.  Once the installer was done, AME was indeed back to release 5.0.0 but when I checked the available updates, almost every component of CS5 was listed as needing updates.

I suspect that just running all of the updates again (without the 5.0.1 update to AME) would work fine, and is probably what you will have to try after you are done with your current project.  I happened to have a hard drive image from last week that was taken before I ran the CS5 updates, so I rolled my computer back to that point and installed the updates again (unchecking the AME update).  This worked great and I can confirm that Media Encoder stayed at release 5.0.0 and still happily does the second pass on F4V encodes.  I'll just wait until version 5.0.2 comes out before I let AME update again.  Thanks for posting the information that got me headed in the right direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 9:15 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I am having the same problem. Earlier tonight I was encoding VBR 2-pass F4V, and at exactly half way through it stopped because of an "unknown error". I tried this multiple times with the same result. CBR works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 1, 2010 11:02 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Well, I had the same exact problem and I solved it using info from this post.  I figured I would simplify it for those who come to this forum in the future with the same problem by providing a step by step tutorial on how I solved the issue.

1) Close out all Adobe applications.

2) Insert CS5 install Disk 1 into computer.

3) When you get to the install options, click the check box next to Flash Professional.

4) The programs associated with this program will appear to the right.  Uncheck all of the applications except media encoder.

5) Re-install media encoder.

6) Update all Adobe software applications.

Hopefully, this will solve the issue.

Sincerely,

Michael Feig

http://www.chicagovideowork.com

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 11:35 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I've tried all of the above without sucess. VBR 1pass and CBR work just fine, but VBR2 hangs and fails at 2nd pass everytime.

I also seem to get the "System running low on memory" message after a failed encoding as well. I allow Premiere to have 4.5GB of my 6GB of system memory. 35GB free space on scratch disk, Core i7 920 and the project is only 3min long.

I've heard that using still images can cause problems. I use tiff files in premiere to make slideshows. What's the issue with still images?

Premiere Pro (pre update) rendered everything just fine, BTW...

So... What gives?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 3:13 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I have the same problem ...

I also get the "System running low on memory" message after a failed encoding as well.

• I allow Premiere to have 4.5GB of my 8GB of system memory.
    • I've tried to reinstall Premiere PRO CS5 (+Updates)  - without sucess.
    • I've tried to clean TEMP-folder - without success.
    • I've tried to use an alternate user with a fresh user profile - without success

This issue appears only since august 2010. My export settings (f4v, CBR-2) worked fine before.

• Is there an issue with Adobe-updates?
    • Is there a solution from Adobe available?  

Thanks

Josef

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 3:22 AM   in reply to JoPo999

Two things I can suggest at a glance.

Trash your preferences (Media Encoder).  I'm on a mac as I type this so that one would be user folder>library>preferences>adobe>media encoder>5.0.  Take the 5.0 folder and toss it.

The other solution you can try is to;

1. deactivate your Adobe software (important!!!)
    2. uninstall it
    3. download and run the cs5 clean script
    4. restart
    5. run the cs5 clean script again (to verify there's nothing there
    6. reinstall adobe apps
    7. run updates

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 10:13 AM   in reply to dradeke

Dennis,

thanks for your fast response:

• Trashing the preferences (Media Encoder) doesn't change the problem.
    • I deactivated Adobe software and deinstalled it
    • I downloaded the cs5 clean script.
    • Now I see that this clean script needs Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility which is not recommended by Microsoft. (It was removed from Microsoft download center)
    • My question: Should I ignore the recommendation from Microsoft?

Thanks again !

Josef

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 11:34 AM   in reply to JoPo999

Microsoft removed the cleaner from their download page some time ago due to compaints that it "cleaned up" stuff that it wasn't supposed to touch, resulting in greater problems for the user.

If you have a copy of it then be aware there may be unintended results from its use.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to jimclark1947

Here are my experiences:

• I formatted disks and made a clean fresh installation (windows7 + Premiere Pro CS5 Version 5.0.0): Rendering 2 pass f4v WORKS !!!
    • I update Premiere Pro CS5 from Version 5.0.0 to Version 5.0.2: Rendering 2 pass f4v FAILS !!!

This issue depends on update-level... Adobe please help.

Thanks

Josef

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 12:07 PM   in reply to JoPo999

Josef,

Can you tell me a little bit more about your project?

1. is it long or short?
    2. how many clips
    3. tell me about your system- memory, GPU, etc.

I'm looking into this.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 12:52 PM   in reply to dradeke

Footage: Error is independent from footage-size: just 1 clip with 10 seconds length

Parameters: F4V (FLV WORKS!), 25 fps, Profile High, Level 3.2, render at Maximum Depth, IMPORTANT: VBR 2 PASS (1 PASS WORKS!)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 4:28 PM   in reply to JoPo999

JoPo999 wrote:

• I update Premiere Pro CS5 from Version 5.0.0 to Version 5.0.2: Rendering 2 pass f4v FAILS !!!

This issue depends on update-level... Adobe please help.

Before I updated, 2 pass f4v worked fine. But with AME 5.0.1, the encoding stops at exactly halfway through.

I had to reinstall CS5 yesterday. I'm going to wait until this issue is fixed before I update AME.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 11:19 AM   in reply to Huntrex

We now have an Adobe Media Encoder (AME) forum, so I just moved this thread into it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 1:40 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I just wanted to say that I am also having the failure after the end of the first pass. Same situation as the other posts and also running 64bit Win 7 and only after the 5.0.1 update. I hope another update is forthcoming soon!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 3:56 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

As i see i'm not the only one who have this problem with the 2nd pass i will also post my problem here.

• First, i'm on a MAC (OS X 10.6.4, 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB 1333 MHz DD3 Ram, if this could help for the solution.)
    • Media Encoder Version 5.0.1.0 (64 Bit)
    • The project i try to encode is a Quick Time with the Apple Pro Res 422 Codec inside and is 14:32 minutes long.
    • The settings for the "F4V"-encoding are the same for 1-pass and 2-pass:
      • Filter: nothing
      • Format: F4V
      • Video: Change Videosize to 600 x 338 (Original is 1440 x 1080), Framerate: like Original, Fields: progressive, Profile: main, Level: 4.0, Rendering with max-depth: off, Bitrate (VBR 1-pass or VBR 2-pass), Bitrate User Setting: target-rate 0.5, max-rate 1.5, manual keyframe: off
      • Audio: AAC Stereo, 44,1 KHz (Original 48 KHz), Quality: High, Bitrate: 128 KBit/s
      • General Settings: Use Max Render-Quality - yes, Blend Frames - no

Like the others the encoding stops after the first pass with an "unknown error".

I tried to delete the cache and the 5.0 folder from adobe. Nothing helped. I don't want to reinstall the master collection because there has to be another solution for this!!

I hope i could help to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance ...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 10:37 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I don't have anything useful to add except "Me too."

Win 7 Professional, 64 bit

Adobe Media Encoder CS5 5.0.1.0 (64 bit)

Core i7 920

9GB

NVidia GeForce GTX 260

*Everything* fails on 2-pass now.  Used to work fine, but now fails at the start of the second pass.  Every single time.

Message was edited by: jookymcfee (Added AME version)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 6:58 AM   in reply to jookymcfee

Any news on this Adobe, I can't render out my 2 pass F4V?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/749586?tstart=0

Regards

Mikael

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to Mikael B

Our engineers have identified the problem and are working on a fix. We  don't yet have any news on when such a fix would be released.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 2:12 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks for the heads up.

Having confirmation is always good news that you guys are covering the users and are working to help us make this product work for our clients, and for peace of mind. It keeps us coming back.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2010 6:37 AM   in reply to here2infinity

Me too! Come on Adobe. I got a backlog of jobs  and unfortunately will have to do 1 pass renders since I do not want to reinstall AME and all updates except AME!

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Jan 28, 2011 1:34 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd,

Any updates?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 1:45 PM   in reply to Alex Gerulaitis

> Any updates?

No. I can't comment on when specific software may be released.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Jan 28, 2011 6:10 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Can you say if it's possible at all to do 2-pass encoding in AME, and if so, with what settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 6:14 PM   in reply to Alex Gerulaitis

Two-pass encoding works with everything else I use. Try H.264; it's the same codec as used in the F4V file, just a different container.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 5:53 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Problem depends on version. Please tell me the version of Media Encoder you are using.

Thanks Josef

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2011 7:45 AM   in reply to JoPo999

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Jan 29, 2011 2:18 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Two-pass encoding works with everything else I use. Try H.264; it's the same codec as used in the F4V file, just a different container.

Thanks Colin

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Jan 29, 2011 2:19 PM   in reply to JoPo999

Problem depends on version. Please tell me the version of Media Encoder you are using.

5.0.1.0 64-bit

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2011 3:00 PM   in reply to Alex Gerulaitis

I'm also having this issue in 5.0.1.0 64-bit, but it seems limited to when I also encode audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 12:35 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Same problem here.  I'm on a Mac OS 10.6.7 and have Media Encoder 5.0.1.0 (64 bit)

Fails on start of the 2nd pass when attempting encode to .f4V - 2 pass VBR

Have tried de-install and re-install of AME along with removing prefs file.  No success with any of these.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Just had the same problem with AME 5.0.1.0 trying to do VBR 2pass to make F4v.  Fails after 1st pass.  Is this still an unresolved issue after all this time?

Win7 64 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 4:15 PM   in reply to eddiem100

Yep.  To my knowlege Adobe never fixed it.  It's terrible really, I've

nearly had CS5 for a year and I can't update my Flash because doing so

updates Media Encoder (which I use a lot) to a version that crashes for me.

I've come to believe Adobe won't get around to it until CS6 or something...

:\

I'd stick to my previous advice: uninstall, reinstall, check to see if VBR 2

pass works and, if so, avoid any Adobe updates (to Flash at least) until

someone reports that the error is fixed.

Anyone know if there's a better way to report errors like these to Adobe

besides posting on the forum and crossing your fingers?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points