Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ID CS5 for designing websites?

Oct 14, 2010 6:39 AM

Hi there all you helpful people!

I have asked this question before - but it was a while ago and I wondered if things had changed for anyone.

Is anyone using IDCS5 for designing/prototyping websites?

I am a print and web designer and use ID for all my print work and FW for all my web work.

Increasingly I am getting more and more frustrated with FW - so many simple things that it does sooooooo badly compared to ID.

Now that IDCS5 has the ability to design in pixels there is the option to design websites in ID, however, it will not export to png format and I know that will make it hard for our coders to use.

Does anybody have any experiences of using it to design websites and if you do, what workflow do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2010 6:59 AM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

It can't export to PNG -

BUT it can export to PDF and you can save to PNG from there.

Only if there was a way to export to a Layered PDF and then save a layered PNG would total awesomeness occur.

InDeisgn is not the right tool for Web design or stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 8:24 AM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

Well others might have other ideas. I've heard of some people having successful workflows with designing websites or at least templates from InDesign.

Whether they post here or not is another thing?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 14, 2010 8:24 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Only if there was a way to export to a Layered PDF and then save a layered PNG would total awesomeness occur.

I use this AppleScript which exports an ID page to a matching layered Photoshop file. There's a PDF export preset, which is optimized for the export, and a readme included:

http://www.zenodesign.com/scripts/PagestoPSLayers.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

Plain and simple. InDesign is a pagelayout tool.

If you want to mock up a website, fine, but otherwise, Dreamweaver is the proper tool for creating web pages.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 9:26 AM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

You won't be able to give a coder anything all that useful out of ID. Stick with Fireworks.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 9:41 AM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

Even if you get a PNG it won't be the same as a Fireworks file with working links, drop downs, etc.

I said it before and I'll say it again...use the right tool, Dreamweaver.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

Does this apple script still exist and work with CS5?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 2, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to wadedansby3

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to tpstom-ggDek1

tpstom-ggDek1 wrote:

Bob - to clarify - I don't produce the websites, just design/prototype them.

I get them to a stage where they look good and the content is right and then they go to a professional coder to be created.

In my experience, you will have great difficulty exporting everything your coder/developer requires from InDesign. Once designed, typically your developer will need individual images for each section and hex color codes - both of which are not easy to get from InDesign alone.

I have used InDesign for 'Prototyping' a website but more for the functionality and to show several pages but the design was 100% done in Photoshop. Basically I exported a JPEG from PS of every page in the website that is different and then imported that into InD - one JPEG per page. I then overlayed buttons on top to show the menu working and when clicked, navigated to those pages via InD buttons "Go to Page" function. The buttons themselves can have a gradient overlay so it looks like they are being hovered over. It gave a rather simple example of how the website would finally function and was saved as a PDF so all reviewers could see it.

InDesign was also used for the style guide which was then sent to the developer, which included all hex codes, text styles and dimensions.

Hope this helps you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points