Skip navigation
mightypants
Currently Being Moderated

change framerate without changing timing

Jan 13, 2010 9:45 AM

Is this possible?  I have a completed animation that looks pretty good, but I'd like to increase the framerate to smooth out some tweens.  Is there a way to do this such that the timing won't change?  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2010 9:50 AM   in reply to mightypants

If I understand what you want, and assume the tweens are timeline based, you can change the frame rate, but you'll need to add frames to the tweens and whereever else timeline travel is involved so as to compensate for the faster rate.  Meaning... if you have 12 FPS, you need 12 frames for a 1 second duration.  If you double that frame rate to 24 FPS, you need to doube the number of frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 9:55 AM   in reply to mightypants

None that I know of, but I don't know everything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 11:19 AM   in reply to mightypants

Not totally related to your exact question, but....

You said you wanted to smooth out some animations by increasing the frame rate. If you started with the initial default value of 12, then going to some value like 24 or something could possibly make the animations smoother.

However if you started with 30 and you thought that by going to 60 you would improve the animations that is probably not going to happen.

Personally I recommend getting a good rate that works for most projects and then sticking to it. That way you become more familiar with what needs to happen at that rate and you can reuse resources. I used to work at 21 fps most of the time and have since moved to 30.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 11:50 AM   in reply to mightypants

If you used the new Motion Tweens they can be stretched making the animation take longer, but then if the framerate increased they would be the same. However you would still need to stretch them.

In theory there could be a JSFL written to do such a thing, but it would be way beyond me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to mightypants

Hi,

This post has a JSFL script and tutorial for stretching an animation in Flash:

http://www.dankrusi.com/page_69653F3334383C3A.html

It's not perfect, but is definitely helpful.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points