Skip navigation
tiaan@agapevisions.co.za
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD audio

Oct 18, 2010 10:28 AM

Hi all

The audio comes & go in the time line & the video is pixelated.

Al is fine in preview monitor.

My system: CS5, Asus p7p55d, i5 quad cpu, ATI Radeon 4890, 4gig ddr3 ram. Win7 64bit.

What am I doing wrong.

Please help

Tiaan

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2010 11:14 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

Try rendering the work area and see if it plays any better, just for starters.  Could be any number of things including hardware configuration of drives.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 11:21 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

If it runs fine in the source monitor, but not in the sequence, my first thought would be you're using the wrong sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 5:34 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

You can change the sequence settings whenever you want.  In the project window, if you drag a clip down to the New Item icon at the bottom of that window a new sequence will automatically open.  That sequence will have all the right settings to match that clip.  Assuming that all the clips in the project are the same you can then add the rest of those clips to the new sequence.  That should take care of any concern over whether you are working with a proper sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 6:08 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

Your computer has to work pretty hard to keep up with AVCHD playback.  Your GPU is not capable of using the new CUDA hardware acceleration so that might be contributing to the problem.  But that usually results in jerky playback, not the sort of issue with pixelation and audio cutting in and out that your originally described.

Aside from the pixelation, is the video playback smooth from start to finish?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 6:09 AM   in reply to jimclark1947

Also, you are a little light on RAM as well for reliable AVCHD editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 6:16 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

What camera was used to shoot the AVCHD video?

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 6:38 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

The problem is the PCM sound.  It won't work in Pr.  Convert the audio to uncompressed .wav files and import it separately.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 7:09 AM   in reply to tiaan@agapevisions.co.za

Is the .wav audio in the same sequence as the PCM audio?  If so, the PCM audio could be messing up all of the other audio.  As a test, try the .wav files in a separate sequence.

If that still doesn't work, then it's likely your CPU is the bottleneck.  Not all i5 processors are quad-core.  If you have an i5 600 series, it is only dual-core.  AVCHD will overwhelm a dual-core processor, and if that happens, then Pr will drop audio playback in an attempt to maintain video playback.  That could explain the audio dropouts you are hearing.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

The problem is the PCM sound.  It won't work in Pr

Huh?  DV uses PCM.  CD's use PCM.  Most .wav files use PCM.  What is this you're talking about Jeff?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 8:35 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

The problem is likely to be LPCM instead of PCM.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 8:41 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

But most PCM files, including those I mentioned as well as AVCHD, are using LPCM.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff Bellune wrote:

The problem is the PCM sound.  It won't work in Pr.  Convert the audio to uncompressed .wav files and import it separately.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff. I though that CS5 worked OK with the NXCAM PCM now - or maybe I'm thinking of another app.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:04 AM   in reply to Colin-B

Last time I checked, the LPCM audio (so the OP called it "PCM"; I knew what he was talking about) from the NX5 was unusable in Pr, and sometimes wouldn't import at all.

Has that changed with the update?  I no longer have any NX5 clips to test.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:07 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune
    the LPCM audio from the NX5 was unusable in Pr

Any info as to why?  LPCM is a pretty standard format.  I can't imagine Sony doing anything different enough with it that it won't work but still call it LPCM.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Update:

I just created an LPCM .mts file in Au3.  I tried to import that file into Pr 5.02.  No joy.  So raw LPCM audio in an .mts wrapper is still unusable in Pr.

IIRC, Sony wraps the NX5 video and audio in an .mts wrapper.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:37 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff - That's an interesting thought.  Would Sony have changed the way they produce the .mts file produced in a NX5 compared to their new NEX-VG10?  The new camera also produces .mts files that import and play in CS5 just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:48 AM   in reply to jimclark1947

The NX5 does store video/audio as .mts files.

Does the VG10 have an option for recording LPCM audio?  If not, then it's likely recording Dolby Digital AC3 audio, which works just fine in Pr.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:56 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

The specification says Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC.  No options in the setup to change that.

So I assumed (wrongly it seems) that a mts is a mts.....  seems they can put anything inside that wrapper and still call it mts??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to jimclark1947
    seems they can put anything inside that wrapper and still call it mts??

Yup.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 12:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I can't imagine Sony doing anything different enough with it that it won't work but still call it LPCM.

Jeff and the other Jim describe a new version of Sony's occassional odd decisions.  I still use a PDX10 - which Premiere has (and still does) capture as two mono tracks.  This the result of sony's brief experiment with a new way to deal with 4 track audio.  Why they created a new method with the ability to fool regular system's never did make sense to me.  (Scenalyzer captures PDX10 audio fine btw.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:57 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Sony wraps the NX5 video and audio in an .mts wrapper.

Ah, so it's not the audio stream, per se, but the way Sony bundles it.

Curious.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 4:16 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Nope.  It's the audio stream.  Pr will not work with a raw LPCM audio stream no matter how it's packaged: .mts, .pcm, .raw, etc.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 8:27 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Ah, the raw part.  Well, I would consider that part of the "packaging".  If Sony chose not to include the appropriate PCM header information in their files, I can see where Premiere would have an issue.

(Shame on Sony.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 6:54 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff Bellune wrote:

Nope.  It's the audio stream.  Pr will not work with a raw LPCM audio stream no matter how it's packaged: .mts, .pcm, .raw, etc.

-Jeff

But didn't we establish that it will accept PCM in AVI files?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:02 AM   in reply to Colin-B

Raw LPCM is not .avi PCM.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:25 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

There are a number of new cameras like the Sony NX5, NEX-VG10 (despite the sexy look only barely mediocre at best) and the Panny HS700 and the rest of that Panny range that give you the option to record audio as what they call PCM, or as AC3. That so called PCM is in fact LPCM that PR can't handle and the AC3 edits perfectly fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:33 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm,

Are you basing your judgement of the NEX-VG10 on just the specifications or have you actually given it a test run?  We would like to hear your reasoning behind your comment.

I've had some experience with one and while the feature set is amateur I found the weight and quality of output to be very good for shooting in situations where one might not be comfortable with a heavier, more expensive pro camera.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:39 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

That so called PCM is in fact LPCM that PR can't handle and the AC3 edits perfectly fine.

Man, how bassackwards is that!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:44 AM   in reply to jimclark1947

Jim,

Have a look here:http://www.videoaktiv.de/201009164888/Artikel/CAMCORDER/Wechselwirkung .html

and read the first test results. Disastrous would be too much, but the result is not, I repeat not good. The final result is comparable to a Sony HDR-CX105, but at triple the price.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 7:47 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Dude, it's in German.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 8:02 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sometimes it pays to have more than just English reviews. If you add other languages you have more info and different views.

Any way, here is the rough translation of the conclusions:

"With the VG10 Sony offers filmmakers the advantages of the photoworld like a large chip and exchangeable lenses, As good as the concept sounds: Unfortunately Sony has not translated it consequently for filmmakers. The electronics of the chip only allow for 25 FPS, and the image quality is lacking. Also lacking is manual audio settings, that should be a given in this price range. The low-light quality is below mediocre and the noise levels (both in the image and audio) are mediocre at best."

Resolution is plain disappointing, video noise at 900 lumen is bottom line, contrast ratio is borderline, So draw your own conclusion...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 8:10 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Yeah, I read that.  Here is another review http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/camcorders/vg10.shtml that mentions some weaknesses as well as some good points.  Having some experience with it and time spent looking at the resulting video I can say that it does produce very good video and acceptable audio, for the specific situation where it was being used.  These reviews tend to spend a lot of time comparing this camera to still cameras that are being adapted to shoot video.

I certainly wouldn't expect this camera to replace a pro level camera where more control over both the video and audio recording is necessary, but I also wouldn't want to risk that pro level camera in some of the situations where this lower cost but adequate camera will be used.

And WOW, have we ever managed to hijack this thread??

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points