Expand my Community achievements bar.

Problem with sending email.

Former Community Member

Hi

I am working on a process in which i need to send a reference mail to the initial user (ie. process initiator).I am using gmail as the email serevr for outgoing messgaes.I have configured the email setting in the server settings of adminui.But when the process comes to email service its showing an error like "unable to connect to the smtp port".

Can Anyone say what could be the problem?

12 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi

Couple of questions...

1) Are you using the email service in your process to send an email?

2) Or are you using the Task Notification feature of Process Management that sends email notifications to users who are assigned tasks on the user service?

If you are using the email service, you don't need to configure the server settings in adminui.

You simply set the connection settings in the email service on the Connection settings tab. (Make sure you have the All button selected in the Process Properties or you won't see the connection settings tab).

If using gmail, I believe they typically require SSL connection.

The port for that would be 587.

Diana

Former Community Member

Considerations:

1) Do you have LC configured for Gmail SMTP port 465?

2) Are you using SMTP authentication?

Reference http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287.

3) Are you going through a firewall? A firewall may block outbound traffic on well-known SMTP ports.

Steve

Former Community Member

Hi

i am using an email sevrice in my process and i have done the connection settings for the same in the workflow.I have used gmail as the email server and i have configured the connection settings .

testingserver.jpg

Error.jpg

You can check this screenshots of my configurations settings.

Is there any other way to do the email functionality so that i can do it successfully?

Former Community Member

Hi

i am using an email sevrice in my process and i have done the connection settings for the same in the workflow.I have used gmail as the email server and i have configured the connection settings .

testingserver.jpg

Error.jpg

You can check this screenshots of my configurations settings.

Is there any other way to do the email functionality so that i can do it successfully?Can i use any other mailserver along with the livecycle and if there is Please guide  me to do this.

Former Community Member

yes i tried port 587 also but it is not working properly.i am getting the same error.Is there anyother mail serever which i can configure with the livecycle and check the email functionality?

Former Community Member

Other people are successfully using gmail but I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

The screenshot of the error message you attached....when exactly do you see that error?

I notice that the information returned in the error dialog seems strange....failure to connect to email server:

adobealreon@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com

We support most mail servers.

You could try setting up your own email server...something like James mail server.

Former Community Member

I have created a sample gmail id adobealeron@gmail.com for the testing purpose and i have configured the same in the connection settings tab of the email service.I recorded and invoked the process ,then i initiated the process by filling the form and submitting it to the next user.So after submitting the form the initial user should get a reference mail from the next user.So i used this email service in between the initial user and the next immidiate user.So while i am playing the recorded process it is getting stuck at the email service.Thia is where i am getting the error message which i have sent you earlier.Also while i am configuring an email endpoint for another process with gmail settings i am getting an error message which says "Unable to connect to inbox port".

Former Community Member

Hi

Is it possible that you are having firewall issues?

Ports 465 and 587 may be blocked by your company or service provider.

That seems to be a common thread on forum posts when you Google this issue.

You could install James mail on your computer and connect to that.

See this blog post: http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2008/10/configuring_apache_james_as_li.html

This is a lightweight email server that many developers use.

You would have to make sure that your Virus Scanner is not blocking port 25 (SMTP default port).

Diana

Former Community Member

Hi Diana

I have downloaded the james mail server and istalled it .By refering the blog which you have mentioned previously i tried to add addusers using the telnet command.I used the command "telnet localhost 4555" and added users to it.By using the thunderbird mail client i created two users with the mail address livecylce@localhost and rgreen@localhost.I am able to send mail from one user to another and viceversa.But my problem is that when i am mentioning the outgoing email settings in the server settings page i am unable to save the settings.Because in the email address field i mentioned the address as livecycle@localhost which showing error as "email address is not in the correct format".I want the email server as sampleorganization.com  ,when i use the command "telnet sampleorganization.com 4555" in the command prompt it displaying the error as "could not open the connection to the host".Can u tell me the solution for this ?

Former Community Member

Hi

Go into your C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

You will need to add a host name for your machine.

For example: 127.0.0.1     sampleorganization.com

When you add the email address to the server settings page you will put rgreen@sampleorganization.com

Diana

Level 2

Hi all,

I"m having a similar problem. The thing is that the regular email service allows you to indicate that the outbound smtp is SSL, while the task notification screen in AdminUI does not. I can set the port but not the SSL setting so it does not go through using task notification, which I want. If I send via the send email service, it works fine.  Where can we tell task notification to use SSL?