Youtube videos cause entire system crash

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Basics:

AMD Phenom x6 3.2GHz

4GB DDR3 Ram

120GB SDD Operating Drive (storage drives irrelevant)

ATI Radeon HD 5700 1GB (hardware acceleration not active)

Creative X-Fi 7.1

(all drivers up to date)

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

(all windows updates up to date)

Browsers:

Avant Browser (Using Flash 10.1.85.3) (32 bit browser)

Google Chrome (downloaded today with latest Flash Player incorporated) (32 bit browser)

Issue:

I've been using Avant with the latest Flash player with no problems since install.  However, today it has started to completely crash my entire system when I start playing a youtube video.  BSOD and then system reboot.

Thinking it may be an issue with Avant (which is not the most popular and, therefore, not the most supported browser) I decided to download Google Chrome and see how things worked.

As soon as I played a youtube video in Chrome, BSOD and a system reboot.

My system is extremely stable otherwise and has had no other crashes since it was built in July.

I've noticed another person having the same issue with a Radeon graphics card, but most of the advice is concerning IE or Firefox, neither of which I'm using.

The strange thing is that this issue only started today, but my Flash Player and Graphic Drivers were both updated a week ago.  I've been playing youtube videos without issue since then until this morning.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for the info on your computer. May I ask what brand it is?

I'm not familiar with the workings of Avant, although I have heard of it. I don't think Adobe Flash Player supports the Avant browser. I have never seen it listed. Following is a link to the system requirements:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/index.html

This site also has information about various drivers.

Today is Patch Tuesday for Windows also.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is that would cause a BSOD. Flash Player works thru the browser (those that are supported by Adobe) so that is a factor. It may also have something to do with the drivers. I don't think the drivers would be unique to the browser of IE or FF. I can't comment on Avant regarding anything other than Flash Player however.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a self build.

The lack of support for Avant is why I decided to try Chrome (only to meet the same issue-which is concerning since Chrome is PACKAGED with Flash).

I have opened and played a youtube video on IE 8 (32 bit) without issue, since posting this.  However, the times it crashed was when the embedded video tried to autoplay, whereas the video I opened in IE required me to start it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to post back your Flash files in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post those back. The NPSWF files will need a right click and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

If you have now Installed Flash Player in IE, then go to Tools, manage addons, Toolbars & Extensions. Check there and also midway down you will see "Show". Check all 4 categories for Shockwave Flash Object and make sure it is Enabled.

Now there is a difference when you say the "system" crashed, resulting in a BSOD and the browser crashing. I'm sure you know this, but I just want to keep it straight for myself.

Are you receiving any errors from Flash Player or IE or from any source as far as that goes?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video itself crashed first (it's gone black or green visually and it's also been fine visually and had the sound break down instead), then the browser stalled or went completely blank and then, very quickly afterwards, the BSOD appeared briefly before the system rebooted.  There is no opportunity for any error messages to show, as it all happens very quickly.  The video crash, browser crash, BSOD and then the system shut down happens in less than 10 seconds (before the reboot kicks in and reloads my system-which takes the normal 30 seconds).

Nothing else has crashed my system at all since I built it in July.  So I find it strange that auto-playing youtube videos are what brings it down!

Untitled-1.jpg

I assume this is what you mean by 'post back'?

The NPSWF files are from an older version, for some reason (9.0.45.0).  But even though I've just reinstalled Flash, those files are still there and haven't been updated.

Flash was already installed on IE (although I don't use it for everyday browsing, I've been using it for a java based game website and have kept it up to date.  The Shockwave is enabled (but there is only one object in the add ons, not four).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the explanation. First the Flash files for IE are correct and for the latest version 10.1.85.3. Yes post back is just a term like reply back.

Sometimes the Shockwave Flash Object is listed in the "Run without Permission" and the "All add ons" I meant that there are 4 categories that various add ons can be in.

What you describe doesn't sound like Flash Player nor the browser. It sounds like a driver or a graphic/video card. If any of those are the cause, then the video and browser would be an affect. As you said a lot of ATI products are involved with several threads with IE & FF, mainly because these are the most popular browsers. You have also experienced this with Chrome. A general rule of thumb is if 3-4 browsers are experiencing the same thing, then one issue is at fault.

There are a couple of other things that could be conflicting, but none that would cause what you describe. You may want to look at this http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx  This is the AMD/ATI site to determine driver info. You fill in the form with your OS info.

Have you also checked that you have the latest version of the graphic and video cards?

Right now I would do this. Shut down the computer, not just reboot, but shut down from start. Disconnect the power and ethernet connection. Wait 3-4 minutes and then restart and reconnect.

Did you run the Flash Player Uninstaller at any time?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm having no issues with IE, thus far, but I've not had an autoplaying video.  And I have other things to do at the moment, so I don't want to tempt my computer into a crash!

I do have the latest Video Drivers.  I updated them on the 3rd Oct (the same day Flash was updated on my computer-I have a habit of checking updates on everything when one thing prompts me).

I'm also having absolutely no issues with other programs that would heavily use the graphics card (such as Power DVD Blu Ray playback or CG Imaging software), which suggests more that this is some sort of Flash/ATI compatability issue if anything.

I have actually checked out the AMD forums.  And I can't see anyone THERE having the issues I'm having.  I have seen posts HERE, though, where people are having issues with Flash on ATI graphics cards.

However, a google search on systems crashing when loading videos on youtube reveals this being a common problem with people using Flash 10 (regardless of graphics card).  There a quite a few posts on the Firefox and Safari forums (which I didn't delve too deeply into as I use neither browser).

I did uninstall Flash and reinstall it.  And I do regularly turn my computer off completely for a bit (mostly so that 'turn it off and turn it back on again' is not a technical suggestion when I have computer issues!  I hear it a little too much from my work's IT department for their systems (along with 'unplug the network cable and plug it back in')!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know there have been problems with the ATI/Flash Player as I've been on several of the threads and then read others.

Just from memory it depended on the driver version, not one particular one. Now if you didn't have that BSOD, I would say some add on or Toolbar or Anti-Virus was conflicting. Now in the FlashPlayerTrust, what files are in there?

RealPlayer?

Also the FlashAuthor.cfg, do you use that and what for?

Do you use Skype, Quicktime? These can conflict and especially RealPlayer.

I am on my laptop now, but tomorrow I'll check some of the threads that had/have the ATI issues and see what I can find. In fact I saw one posted tonight, but didn't have time to check it. I keep a lot of folders on my work PC so maybe there will be some helpful info there. With that kind of a crash I tend to think it's ATI/Flash Player related. I don't think it is Flash Player conflicting with the driver, although affected.

That's all for me this evening,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Trust file is AcrobatConnect.cfg (16/04/07)

FlashAuthor?  I don't make Flash animations at all, if that's the usage of that file.

I don't use Skype or Quickplayer.  I do have Quickplayer installed, but only because it's bundled with iTunes.  I don't have Realplayer installed at all, unless that comes bundled with something.  If so, I certainly don't use it.

(My anti virus is Kapersky Internet Security 2010, fully up to date and with all releases)

Thank you for all your advice.  My computer savvy does not stand up to complicated details!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youtube videos is causing entire system crash, It may be due to conflicts. Remove adobe flash player from add remove program, Then do clean up your computer with ccleaner  (Which removes junk files, duplicate Traces, unwamted links etc) which you can download easily by searching google.  Its a free tool.

Just to find out the exact cause, I suggest you to try this in mozilla Firefox, and install addons of flash player in it, check it out if it crashes or works. ive us feedback.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have an appointment and will post back to you later this afternoon. I see a couple of possible conflicts but don't have time at the moment to go into it. I would not Uninstall Flash Player nor bother with a Registry Cleaner. Conflicts are programs and browser addons. Wait until I get the info for you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, If you don't use that AcrobatConnect.cfg, then I would open it and delete any thing in there and then delete the folder.

I would also delete the FlashAuthor. If it is a folder with any files in it, delete them first, then the folder.

I would temporairily disable any Quicktime add ons in IE.

The KIS with the 2010 version introduced an add on "URL Advisor", I would Disable that also. It has caused issues with other users.

If KIS have installed any other add ons in the browser, let me know.

After that I would reboot and see if there is any improvement.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I  have exactly the same problem . green screen  on the youtube videos   crashes firefox and internet explorer.

I uninstall the catalyst  drivers for my video card ATI Radeon HD4670.

No problems after the uninstall .

I use Windows 7 64 bit driver up to date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi raspiman, thanks for your comment. That may be something else to check.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Intel Duo-Core 2GHz

2GB DDR2 Ram

520GB SATA Operating Drive (storage drives irrelevant)

NVidia GeForce 9400gt (hardware acceleration active)

Creative X-Fi 2.1

I can only watch about 30 to 60 seconds of any flash video when my computer crashes, usually with a God-awful noise. It does not reboot, I have to manually hit the reset button.

This happens in Chrome, IE 8, Opera 10.6, Firefox or any other.

If I download the video as an mp4 it plays fine. All movies and all music plays fine. The only time it crashes is when flash is involved.

I uninstalled flash and then installed an old version 9 and the problems disappeared (except in Chrome where it is built in and always uses v10).

This is definitely a flashplayer issue as that is the only common denominator for the crashes.

If you get an answer anywhere or come up with it yourself please post it here, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I solve my problem.

First uninstall video driver

launch youtube video

Clic right on the video and clic on propertie or parameter

search harware acceleration and disable this

install video driver

and test youtubevideo

i sory about my bad english language

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately after carrying out your suggestions

youtube video playback still crashed my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same exact problem.  10-15 seconds in screen will go black, sound will remain fine for 10 more seconds then the sound goes crazy

Asus UL30VT Laptop

Windows 7 64bit

NVidia G210M

Intel CULV 1.3ghz processor

Crashes in Firefox and Chrome.  All drivers updated.  I can't stand this anymore someone please help!!

Where can I download Flash 9.xx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JWayne25 wrote:

Where can I download Flash 9.xx?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! for posting the link so I can roll back to v9

v. 10 needs to be fixed ASAP.  I have a HP Envy 17 and have been driving myselft nuts trying to fix this crash.  I just added Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (had no problems with 7) and I think that updated my Flash Player.  Regardless, I've wasted hours removing and adding Adobe programs  trying to fix this problem.  BRAVO for the post about v.9. 

Reinstalled the Flash 9 and it works fine...no crashes.  I guess now I can spend more time reinstalling all of the Adobe software (sans Premiere Elements 9).  Wahoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC is freezing when i watch videos on internet.. like youtube. And this started happening long time ago when i updated adobe flash player from 9 to 10.

freexing of my pc happens on IE, Firefox and Chrome.

System specs:

Quadcore Q6600 3Ghz CPU

ATI 4800 series GPU

2Gb RAM

320Gb HDD

560W PSU

CPU and GPU are overclocked but are very stable and my computer hasnt freezed in 2 years a single time untill the flash player update from 9 to 10

it took me few months to come on a conclusion that Adobe flash player is causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2010 Nov 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problems as all of you, but I have a few more data points to add:  First, My computer's performance in games has also recently dropped like a rock.  In Battlefield: Bad Company 2 I used to get around 45 frames per second in 'medium' graphics settings, and it's now around 8 fps.  Low graphics settings gets me a higher, but still unplayably low, framerate.  I opened the old pre-release Crysis demo and got atrocious performance in that as well.

Now, as far as youtube videos, my problems are similar to the ones you all are having.  I open a video, and either I promptly get the blue screen of death or (more frequently) my computer freezes up, I can't move the pointer, and I have to manually restart it.

Though, interestingly, just like the op, I have had no problems with other graphics-intensive activities like streaming Netflix or watching BluRays.

So the common denominator is no longer flash.  It's just the most commonly used program that experiences the problem.

What I have seen in [EDIT: almost] every single post is a newest or second-newest-generation ATI graphics card, often of the gaming variety (ATI 4000 or 5000 series).  I have that as well.  That's fairly uncommon.  Flash, on the other hand, is used by everyone anyway.  My computer setup is:

HP Envy 17-1011NR notebook

Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6 GHz quad core processor

8GB DDR3

two 7200 rpm 320 GB HDDs, not sure of the brand

ATI 5850 Graphics Card

I have tried youtube videos in IE, FireFox and Chrome.

The final interesting thing that's happening is that this problem goes away and comes back periodically for me.  Sometimes games and youtube videos work for me, and sometimes they don't.  I'm fairly sure the problems are occuring together, though I can't say for certain since it hasn't been happening long enough.

Any help is appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2010 Nov 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did all of you having "the same problem" update the device drivers for your graphics/video/display adapter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same laptop as you and have the problem.

Not sure if I want to deal with HP support yet, since they suck more than anything on the planet...

You got this laptop on amazon, right?

System Model HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.13, 8/12/2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.93 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problems with my Acer Aspire for almost a year now. With FlashPlayer 10. installed the screen became black the sound hang up and nothing worked anymore so I had to take out the battery to start again. With version 9 it worked without systems crashes but still I could not watch everything and the most games on facebook for example did'nt work.

My acer runs with windows 7 64 bit and has a ATI mobile Radeon HD 5470 grafic card. I always suspected that there is a Problem between the Flash Player and my graphic card. Now ATI released a new driver since March 2011, and Flash 10. is working now. Only the driver breaks sometimes but I have still more possibilities than before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines