Skip navigation
edi_singer
Currently Being Moderated

Which are the best settings for exporting comps before edditing in Premiere Pro

Oct 23, 2010 12:37 AM

Hello everyone!

As the title says, which are the best settings for exporting comps from AE to Pr.Pro and then edit them?

Let  me explain: I have two comps in AE (intro and outro) and want to export  them in Pr.Pro for edditing along with a fottage i shot.

When i render them the size of the files are huge (30 sec= 7GB).

Which  is the best method (and settings) i can export the intro and outro to a 'normal' file  size and then put them in Pr.Pro without loosing any quality??

[Comp settings: HDTV 1080 29.97 (1920x1080)]

AE and Premiere Pro both CS4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 23, 2010 9:28 AM   in reply to edi_singer

If you're rendering and exporting an intermediate video file to go from After Effects to any other piece of post-production software (such as Premiere Pro), you want to make sure that you're not losing any quality.

Most compression methods, which make movies smaller, also lose some of the image data---i.e., quality. There are a few compression methods that don't lose any image data; these are "lossless" codecs. These lossless codecs do decrease the size of a video file, but they're nowhere near as effective at decreasing size as the lossy codecs are. But file size isn't important when you're doing post-production work. Big files are a fact of life in post-production.

Examples of lossless codecs include the PNG codec and the Animation codec at the highest quality settings, both of which can be used in a QuickTime (.mov) container. I prefer the PNG codec; it's more efficient for photorealistic images, whereas Animation is more efficient for things like cartoons. There are lots of other lossless and nearly lossless codecs. A lot of people that do video editing like the Lagarith codec, but that is something that you'd have to go and get; it's not part of a standard CS5 or QuickTime installation.

See these FAQ entries for information about compression and why file sizes are big for losslessly encoded files:

"FAQ: Why is my output file huge...?"

"FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?"

By the way, keep in mind that you don't always need to render and export an intermediate movie to go from After Effects to Premiere Pro. There are other ways to move data back and forth between these applications, including Dynamic Link. Which is best depends on the specific circumstance. See "Working with Premiere Pro and After Effects".

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2010 9:49 AM   in reply to edi_singer

If you're having trouble playing things in your Premiere Pro timeline, then check out offline editing. In offline editing, you work with a lower-quality version of an asset during the edit and then replace it with a high-quality version when you're ready for output.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 10:50 AM   in reply to edi_singer

> basicly which compression is good that matches a 'normal' file size and a good quality

There is no one "normal" set of settings because there are so very many different output scenarios.

However, there are export settings presets that give a good starting point. If you want to see what is considered a "normal" set of output settings, choose one of these presets and then examine the settings.

To see examples of the export presets that I'm talking about, do this: Start the standalone Adobe Media Encoder application. Add something to its queue. Choose H.264 as the output format. Now look at the presets that are available, including Apple TV, Vimeo, YouTube, TiVo...

In general, if you're making a movie, the person who you're delivering it to (or the device orservice that you'll be playing it on) specifies the output that they want. Start from those specific and work you way back. Vimeo, for example, posts information about the best settings for their upload service.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points