Skip navigation

Dynamically-related files could not be resolved...

May 1, 2010 2:48 AM

Latest reply: rachelmccollin, Nov 1, 2013 9:40 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2010 6:36 AM   in reply to rachelmccollin

Good news Rachel!

I haven't actually tested your theory about setting the site to permalinks first. Could work and I might look at that later today myself. One thing I noticed was changing permalinks back to default and then back again to let's say day name, they would keep the same link values. At least on small test site.

Cheers

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 5:25 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

To any Joomla users that are managing to get live view to work but can't get it to discover dynamic files, I think I found the problem, Rachels post made me think....if permalinks in Wordpress cause a problem, I wonder if enabling SEO in config does the same?

I'm sort of glad to say taht if you untick the seo stuff in teh global configuration, everything works and all files are properly discovered in DW5

Just a minor bug taht hopefully they will sort

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 11:17 AM   in reply to Michaeltm

I am facing the same issue from many days Michaeltm solution resolved my problem.

Thanks Michaeltm

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 7:17 PM   in reply to azfar_82

@ azfar_82

Your very welcome! I'm glad it worked for you as I can remember how frustrating it was!

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to rachelmccollin

Michaeltm YOU ROCK!

This has kicked-my a$$ for a month, I gave up for awhile and just searched again, found your solution, works perfectly now.

I wonder if there is an issue with [mod_rewrite] or [.htaccess] in the local directory of MAMP?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:02 AM   in reply to Celticwebsolutions

turning of Joomla 1.5.2 global settings for SEO worked! Thank you I messed with this fo more than six hours. Adobe, you should mention this and the word press solutions in you multitude of how to's. It will spare you many bad-mouth posts. When this feature is working it is marvelous.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2010 9:39 PM   in reply to KenPep

Another vote for the turning off the SEO links fix!   I suppose this is why it's off by default...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2010 7:02 PM   in reply to David_Powers

I have got that problem, is there any fix?

Concise problem statement:

Using CS5 connect with Wordpress 3.0.1 and 2.7

Error found when attempted to "Discover dynamically-related files" when "Permalinks setting" is not in default "Ugly" mode.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Turn on Permalink setting ("Pretty Permalink") in wordpress dashboard

2. Work with DW CS5, with the localhost properly defined and appropriate "Site" defined in DW

3. Open index.php file in the "site root"

4. Click "Discover dynamically-related files..."

Results:Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server

Expected results:

When I turn off "Pernalink setting" back to "Default" setting, DW has no problem and all Dynamically-related files can be found.

Remark: Pretty Permanlink function properly in wordpress links.

Is there any fix?

thanks

Bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2010 8:00 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

I am also having these issues, but changing the permalimk settings didn't seem to do it for me because they were already set to default.

but one thing I need to be clear on is this:

when using the wordpress files in dreamweaver, do I need to set up a new site definition just for the wordpress blog? like for editing them in dreamweaver?

or is it ok to simply add on another testing server to the remote server I already have for my whole site?

you see my site is not just a blog, the blog is only a part of it cuz I also have a bunch of nav buttons for home page, videos, pictures etc.  and whenever  I see tutorials on how to bring wordpress into dreamweaver, they always make a brand new site definition in dreamweaver as if its the only thing in the site which is unlike mine, because the blog is among many other pages.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 7:09 PM   in reply to Jordan Olthuis

Hi there,

In my case, DW only likes workpress "Ugly" link (default) setting. If it's doesn't work for you, there may have setting problems in site definition.

In your case, I think you only need to create ONE site definition even you host more than one wordpress in the same site root. But the site need to be properly defined:

you can follow this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPpjuievC04

Just take a look at site definition setting.

From experience:

when using the wordpress files in dreamweaver, do I need to set up a new site definition just for the wordpress blog?

A. NO, only One site definition is enough... but technically, you can create a site definition for your wordpress only.

is it ok to simply add on another testing server to the remote server I already have for my whole site?

A. for web development, it's always good to set up a testing server, and one testing server is enough.

you see my site is not just a blog, the blog is only a part of it cuz I also have a bunch of nav buttons for home page, videos, pictures etc. and whenever I see tutorials on how to bring wordpress into dreamweaver, they always make a brand new site definition in dreamweaver as if its the only thing in the site which is unlike mine, because the blog is among many other pages.

A. Take a look at tutorial video from lydia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exSNc_t3jVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoEvTGCgmnU

there example project is exactly what you are looking for, the wordpress blog is only part of the feature ofthe whole website.

hope can help you.

bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 7:16 PM   in reply to Michaeltm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the fix. I confirm that changed back the permalink structure to default fixed the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 7:42 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Still no fix for this issue....oh well at least

the default permalink works.

Cheers

Micheltm

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 9:13 PM   in reply to Michaeltm

hi,

my work around of this issue:

1. if you are working with "pretty" permalink, you need to switch back to "Ugly" default setting in wordpress first.

2. Open DW and click discover dynamically-related files button

3. DW will find all the related file

4. Go back to wordpress dashboard, change the pemalink setting from "Ugly" to "Pretty" mode again.

5. Go back to DW, and now you can work with DW will "Pretty" permalink feature enabled.

hope adobe will have a better fix on this issue, but we can try out this work around method.

Bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 10:41 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

OK I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes!!

I found out the only issue I was having was that the web URL on my Remote Server was wrong, I always had it http://www.MYDOMAIN.com because I thought thats what I was supposed to do, but I was watching more tutorials and realized that doesnt have to be because I always seen them put their web URL for the local info in the advanced section as http://localhost/DATABASENAME/ and since they have to be the same thing thats why I was confused.  so I changed my web URL of the remote server to be the http://localhost/DATABASENAME/ one and miraculasly it worked!

so now that thats out of the way, is the purpose of opening the wordpress files in dreamweaver to actually edit the blog posts or is it just to change the styling and stuff like that?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 11:25 PM   in reply to Jordan Olthuis

Congratulation! The purpose of using dreamweaver on wordpress is to have WYSIWYG platform for design... and probably very handy for non-programmer making their database driven web site.

bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 11:57 PM   in reply to sdbruce

lol, I actually have no idea what 'WYSIWYG' means

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 12:21 AM   in reply to Jordan Olthuis

'WYSIWYG' stands for What You See Is What You Get, sort of Visual Editor for Non-programmer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 3:01 AM   in reply to Jordan Olthuis

Hi Jordan,

You definitely wouldn't edit blog posts inndreamweaver, just the design. Use the wordpress admin to edit and add new posts.

Rachel.

Rachel McCollin

07858 378178

www.compass-design.co.uk

websites - site maintenance - promotional materials - business stationery

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2011 5:06 AM   in reply to Michaeltm

Michaël, president !!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2011 8:30 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

I can't beleive that it's just pretty permalinks choking up DW... Well, CS5 improve on CS4... Hopefully CS6 can handle multiple virtual hosts (and DocumentRoots) and htaccess's at the same time! (with perhaps xampp or some sollution bundled and managing the host file for us! LOL)

Also, check out the second answer here and the link to here for sollutions to running more then one testing site.

I really am hoping that the next version has built in management for this (or some nifty CS5 Extension that I could easily install...)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 9:55 PM   in reply to Michaeltm

this is the kind of response i call expert response....

I was forced to logon and comment to his solution....

Just so everyone knows....even today DW cant fix this bug and after trying to search for almost 2 days i came to this page and it was a bug of dreamweaver which was not letting me do discover.....

Some one in adobe DW QA team should get fired for that, almost 6 months over and still such a suily bug exists without an open article explaining the bug atleast....

I am seriously furious that DW is hiding bugs...it should be atleast open to all that this is how you fix discover issue ....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to prakash2009

I understand the frustration, Prakash. While this is certainly an issue, I'm not sure that it's fair to call it a bug in Dreamweaver. Wordpress is artificially generating pretty URLs that are different than the actual record indexes for the posts and pages stored in the database. This is functionality that is in the Wordpress code and would require an entirely new level of functionality in Dreamweaver rather than some kind of "bug fix." (An analogous situation, if you have a Wordpress site online, occurs if you change its permalink settings. All the search-engine-indexed pointers to the site will fail, because they have the now-obsolete URLs. That's not a bug in the search engines, although it certainly is a problem.)

You can work with generic permalinks on your testing server and pretty-permalinks on your remote site without issue, since it's a Wordpress dashboard setting, not a change to the existing page or post database records, so it's not a major practical hurdle. I certainly prefer having DW able to handle dynamically linked files now than have the DW team wait until they added pretty-permalink handling before releasing the functionality.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Jordan Olthuis

I tried the Permalink fix and it didn't work. Then I realized that I hadn't made all of the necessary Settings changes after copying a live WordPress site to my local test server.

It turns out that he WP site address URL in WordPress General Settings must match the Web URL for the testing server in Dreamweaver.

Once I set these appropriately (and reverted Permalinks to Default), it started working properly.

So, if you're having this issue with WordPress, check to make sure that the site URLs are the same in both WordPress General Settings and in the test server configuration in Dreamweaver:

DWConfig2.png

DWConfig1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to LlewR

For other Dreamweaver users who need help setting up a testing server and getting WordPress to work  in Dreamweaver without the problems discussed above I have written this tutorial

http://www.webdesignforbeginners.info/dreamweaver-and-wordpress/

Regards,

Theo

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to CMYK/RGB

Too Very usefull. More post like this

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to vajos

Hi and thanks for your email,

Due to the fact that the majority of email I receive on this address is spam, I have stopped using it. This auto-reply will be in operation for a period of time to let people know but after that it won't be monitored.

If you have an alternative email address for me, please use that.

Thanks.

Rachel.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers