I have a link to an external site located throughout an entire cluster of pages within my website. Is there a Dreamweaver CS5 command that would enable me to modify that link as it appears throughout the entire cluster of pages, simultaneously? That sure would save me considerable time if it can be done without my having to make the change manually and individually, on a page-by-page basis. Maybe something such as this command exists, perhaps?
"Change all occurrences of the following address from ___ to ____ throughout the entire site"
Any suggestions, please?
Indeed, your suggestion appears to have worked expeditiously on changing the coding for ALL pages rather simultaneously. It doesn't seem to save them to the server, too, but that's likely for the best as I prefer to inspect any changes before saving them to the server. Thanks! :-)
Dreamweaver allows for three different methods of doing this.
As suggested, one may use server-side code to call a text page that you just change in one place.
Also, as suggested, one may use Dreamweaver's Find and Replace tool to replace all instances of a particular link. If you are looking to do this in source code, you have to be very careful about how you specify what to search for and exactly what you wish the replacement code to be.
Last, I have started using templates for stuff that has reoccurring information throughout a website. Things like navigation, footers, headers and so on are very useful for automating a change in reoccurring content. Where you have a page link that changes in navigation, if you have a template that handles that in all pages, you change it once and Dreamweaver will ask you if you want to update all files based on that template. Answer "Yes," and all page changes will be made.
Pages may be linked to only one template and one should never nest templates.
So, to fully answer your question, yes. There are three methods at your disposal.
In Dreamweaver CS6, can one massively modify a link located throughout a website...modifying one url destination and replacing it with a replacement url destination, using the Find and Replace feature yet withOUT having to go to each and every page affected and manually "putting" (i.e. uploading) the modified contents page-by-page? I keep trying, but I'm not having success. With CS5 I don't think I had this sort of problem though. Any thoughts, please? Perhaps there's a video tutorial on this feature, somewhere? Or maybe there's a bug in CS6?
Hi Nancy: Thanks for the reply :-) I just checked and I do, indeed, have that feature activated.
What's particularly odd is that I conducted the "Find" endeavor and found around 60 instances of the link destination's appearance in the relevant website. I did the conversion from one site destination to the next, and uploaded the change. For good measure I even changed the destination file of the change, to my hard drive and then I tried uploading that too. Still no dice. And when I look at my folders in Dreamweaver, the change doesn't even appear...even if I try to manually upload.
Can't one change numerous subfolders within a single folder by implementing the change upon that folder?
I don't recall that I had this problem with CS5 but CS6 isn't the same software.
Well Nancy, thanks to your nudging, I seem to have solved the problem (whatever it was). :-) It SEEMS that Dreamweaver might have been defaulting to modifying "text" instead of "source code", even though at least earlier this afternoon I'd selected "source code" as what I'd wanted to modify. I noticed that "text" was selected just now, though, when trying to verify steps pursuant to your excellent advice. If that's what the problem has been, it's odd. After all, moments before I'd searched for the appearance of the domain address that I intended to remove and I got several dozen occurrences. But that address didn't appear in the "text".
I also tried to tweak what website I was modifying, too. I'd done that earlier today, but maybe the re-tweaking might have also done some good.
Thanks for having given me the self-confidence and likely helpful guidance necessary to find out that Dreamweaver 6.0 doesn't have a bug where I feared that it did. Wow Nancy, you're a tremendous asset to this community! :-) I'm going to try and give you a high evaluation now. Have a great rest of the weekend :-)
Europe, Middle East and Africa