Skip navigation
Andrew Barrington
Currently Being Moderated

Which fonts folder to use to stop "missing fonts" in snow leopard?????

Nov 2, 2010 2:12 AM

Since making the switch to snow leopard, i now have irregularities in fonts when using indesign files from other computers.

If i open an indesign document, that was created on my old G5 machine running Tiger, on my new imac running Snow leopard i get the missing font error message.

I am led to beleieve that this is caused by me installing fonts into User > Library > fonts. which was where i used to install fonts to on my Tiger machine.

I can now remedy the problem by installing the fonts into indesigns fonts folder but i dont want to just install all my fonts so only indesign can use them, and neither do i want to duplicate my fonts folders

Can anyone shed some light on an answer for me, I just want to be able to open my old documents without getting the missing fonts error message!

All the best

Andy barrington

www.barringtonprint.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2010 4:31 AM   in reply to Andrew Barrington

So is it that you have the fonts, but you still get a missing fonts message? Or does Indesign CS5 think you don't have them (so they don't appear in the font menus or in the "Find Fonts" dialog)? I use a font manager, and don't generally see this problem, but one client uses a different set of Arial fonts, and I always need to run through "Find Fonts" to do their work...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 5:29 AM   in reply to Andrew Barrington

There are many different types(format) of font. e.g. truetype, opentype, postscript

The font used may have the same name, but different format.

e.g.

The helvetica font on your G5 is a postscript version

while the helvetica font on your snowleopard machine is an opentype version.

Though it's the same name, indesign will tell you it's missing because technically it's not the same font.

If you don't use a font manager application, like linotype's fontexplorer, the only sensible place would be your default font folder. (font book)

If you'll be moving files between the machine often, i suggest merging your two font libraries together.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 7:00 AM   in reply to Andrew Barrington

if you are migrating old files to the new computer, i really wouldn't bother. Just replace the fonts.

But do keep in mind some fonts have different baseline/kerning/tracking etc settings depending on the font format, so make sure nothing has moved.

I've tried a few free ones but they're largely useless and don't work properly.

I don't use a manager at home, but we have fontexplorer at work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points