• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File > Link > Framemaker option not available, plz assist...

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All-

(Also posted in RoboHelp HTML forum. Redoing in this forum since it seems topical.)

On my new Robhelp 8 HTML  installation, I can't see the File>Link>Framemaker option, just  File>Link>Word Document. Is there something I have to do to enable  the Framemaker option?

Interestingly, on another computer  with a trial copy of Robohelp 8, I DO see the Framemaker option. Not  sure why I shouldn't with the new install.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

-Kurt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is a bug in the trial copy. While you have the trial copy it will work but because it is a Technical Communication Suite only feature, once you install the full copy of RoboHelp, it will become disabled.

If you need that feature, you need the suite.

I will delete your other post on this question.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

This is just as likely a bait-and-switch as opposed to a bug. My manager will love to hear that I need to spend more money on the Suite.

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, are there any other RoboHelp features, besides the ability to create links to Framemaker documents, that are enabled with the purchase of the technical suite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would argue with Adobe / your supplier that you bought the product believing it would link to docs from your copy of FM and see if you can get a deal.

When this issue came to light, I do believe the person I was speaking to was surprised to learn the link was enabled in the trial version.

I am not sure what differences it makes with Captivate stuff but I'm sure someone else will come in on that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why isn't there proper controls in the build execution that recognizes a trial copy or a standalone version of RH and either a) alerts the user or b) recognizes the TCS license key and overwrites the standalone or trial copy?  This way people don't have to re-image their computer to utilize the product.  The so called "clean script" does not remove traces of RH so once a trial copy or standalone version of RH is on the system, you cannot install TCS and get the integrated features of RH to link to FrameMaker. Hard to believe the people designing the build scripts have not resolved this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this linked to this thread?

I understand your point that when installing the trial TCS if a standalone product is found, a warning should be given. However you should be able to uninstall TCS. Standalone RoboHelp gets installed to a different path but it would not surprise me that it no longer works properly at this point. However, uninstalling it and reinstalling it should work OK.

OR

Is it that the fact that standalone RoboHelp was on your machine stopped you installing the trial of TCS? Uninstalling RoboHelp should have allowed TCS to install.

Perhaps you could clarify what followed what.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, the TCS version of RH will not overwrite a standalone or trial copy of RH.  If you run the TCS installer, regardless if those RH copies have been uninstalled first, there is some hardcoded block which forbids the TCS integrated version of RH from installing correctly.  You just get a standalone version with the link to framemaker grayed out.  I spoke to a RH product manager about this directly and he was unable to provide a solution.  We finally deduced that there is a hardcoded license mechanism somewhere buried in the registry.  You can run a search on this forum to see a few people have experienced this problem.  It seems to me to be sloppy build execution.  How can an installer not recognize a proper license key for TCS and simply overwrite the trial version or standlone version?  The person who started this thread is going to have to re-image the computer to get the integrated RH-Frame functionality.  What is astonishing is that Adobe released this product with this sort of hidden backfire.  If more people visited these forums I'm sure there would be more complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you deactivate the standalone product first? That is not the same as uninstalling and would leave a licence remnant. Deactivation is important as if you uninstall without doing that, it can mess up reinstalling on another machine or the same machine if reimaged.

One product that has resolved a lot of uninstall issues is RevoUninstaller. Used with care it does deep clean. Obviously your risk but like I say, good results reported.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would have been nice to know beforehand.  I think that's the installer's job to recognize a license key conflict for the same product.  There's nothing in the readme, the TCS installer, the help files or anywhere that warns the user about deactivating a license (which would not help trial copy users).  The installer is not currently designed to handle the upgrade or transition between RH versions, which is the primary problem.  Whoever designed the RH-Frame integration piece for TCS failed to provide the engineering team the proper spec to design the installer correctly and no one documented the pre-requisite procedure.  If people have to come here to get the solution (buried and difficult to find) that's a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and a quick check of the TCS Installer section of this forum reveals even nastier issues un related to RH so I think that speaks for itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think one of the issues at play here deals with security and Adobe protecting their assets. There are mechnasims in place that prevent a user from repeatedly installing a trial over and over and over, therefore having a never ending "free trial" period. And it would appear that this may be somewhat at play in an odd way when the trial has been installed and perhaps now you are installing the trial of TCS.

Just sort of thinking out loud.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not disagreeing with you TerribleTowel, just trying to suggest what might help if you haven't re-imaged.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're not Peter and I apologize if I come off a little harsh.  I just think it's irresponsible to release software and make people

jump through hoops like that. I understand Rick's guess about asset protection but putting a flag in the installer to alert the user is what adobe needs to do.  Especially so when adobe's tech support does not even come within light years of adequately comprehending the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL... terribletowel said Tech Support...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp