Skip navigation
jackjones_adobe
Currently Being Moderated

JPG and TIFF colors in Bridge CS5 way off, but fine in Photoshop

Sep 1, 2010 9:22 PM

Just started happening, but not sure if it was after updating to Bridge 4.0.3 or Camera RAW 6.2.  The colors for RAW and PSD files are fine in Bridge, but all JPGs and TIFFs colors are blown out and way off.  Opening the JPG or TIFF in Photoshop looks fine though.  Anyone else having this issue, or know how to fix it?

Update:  If I set the "Develop Settings" in Bridge CS5 to "Camera Raw Defaults" for the JPGs/TIFFs that are displaying improperly, the colors and tones go back to normal, but if I "Clear Settings" everything turns to crap again.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2010 1:19 AM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

It sounds like you have embedded metadata in your JPEG/TIFF files. A similar thing happened to me a year or two ago, and I could never fix it. In my case the metadata was attached to NEF files.

I think what must have happened to me is that I played with some photo software for a few weeks before deleting it. I could probably fix the problem if I knew which program caused it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2010 1:29 PM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

Yeah, I am having a similar problem. JPEGs which have been processed with Camera Raw appear way too bright (as if over-exposed by approx. two f-stops) in the Bridge thumbnail panel as well as in the Bridge preview panel but are fine in the Camera Raw preview window. However in my case, only a few files are affected, not all. Terminating and re-launching Bridge doesn't help. The affected files got cropped in ACR but Exposure and Brightness remained at zero. When setting Exposure to, say, -0.05 then all of sudden Bridge will display them properly.

This behaviour is new since Bridge 4.0.3 and Camera Raw 6.2.0.29. Windows XP SP3 32-bit; CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+; graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro; RAM: 3.25 GB (4 GB installed).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2010 8:00 PM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

I had a similar, but perhaps worse, experience (limited to greyscale images - I never got around to checking my colour images) after installing the latest updates, namely Bridge 4.0.3, Camera Raw 6.2 and the CS5 Live Services update called CSXInfrastructure.zip. I have Win7x64 Ultimate.

I found that Bridge's display of some (but not all - so it's inconsistent) Tifs and Jpgs was overexposed by at least one stop but that when I opened those files in PsCS5 x64 they displayed correctly, ie no overexposure. Like you, PSD files seemed to be unaffected.

I also discovered numerous Tif and Jpg files, which had never been processed through ACR, now showing that they had ACR develop settings, once again they displayed in Bridge as at least one stop overexposed, but normally in PcCS5 x64. Removal of the develop settings made no difference, and Bridge continued to display them as overexposed.

Within minutes, I decided to restore a system backup made 3 days before installing these latest Adobe updates and everything is now back to normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2010 11:03 PM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

I had a similar problem except reversed. Certain tiffs look great in Bridge but dull and lifeless in ACR or Photoshop. Messing around, I disabled support for

TIFF in Preferences and now all versions looked dull!

Huh?

It finally occurred to me that these tiffs were produced in DXO Pro and apparently have some metadata that Bridge read but ACR didn't. The worst part is I could not open a tiff from DXO in Photoshop with the corrections intact. Not that I use their tonal corrections much, but it's weird that I cannot open them in Photoshop at all without losing their data.

I think it's their problem, as the dng's produced at the same time work correctly, but be warned about this kind of stuff.

Adobe wants all their kids to be safe, and don't you outsiders mess with 'em or.....!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 12:40 AM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

Ok,

Starting to identidy the possible culprit.

From my restored system image containing Ps 12.0.1, Bridge 4.0.2 and ACR 6.1, I installed only the Camera Raw 6.2 updater, and immediately Bridge started to misbehave as reported by the OP and my original post above. Again, PSDs seem unaffected, and not all Jpgs and Tifs are affected. Again, all the affected Tifs and Jpgs open and display properly (not overexposed) in Ps, and also, I checked this time, in ACR 6.2. I get this behaviour for colour images as well as the greyscale reported previously. I now estimate the degree of overexposure as closer to 2 stops rather than 1.

Anyone got any further leads/ideas? It would be good to hear from someone at Adobe regarding this issue - please?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 1:58 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

I've noticed that ACR now shows a PV2003 symbol in JPEGs. This must be related.

I'll post a link in the ACR forum, Eric Chan will be interested. No one seems to read this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 4:03 AM   in reply to Yammer

What is a PV2003 symbol?

Btw, the problem in Bridge occurs whether or not you have viewed or modified images in ACR - so this is a slight correction to what you posted in the camera Raw forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 4:11 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

Andrew_Hart wrote:

What is a PV2003 symbol?

The little yellow warning triangle, bottom right of the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to Yammer

Thanks Yammer.

Never seen this in ACR, unless you mean the symbol in the "TOP" right corner of the preview (not the main) pane when you open several images at the same time in ACR (or the the "TOP" right corner of the main pane of a large image) - which simply means that ACR is preparing to display the top most image (or the single large image) in the main pane.

What exactly does "PV2003" refer to or mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 4:38 AM   in reply to Yammer

Yammer P wrote:

Andrew_Hart wrote:

What is a PV2003 symbol?

Actually it's a little light-blue square with an exclamation mark.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 4:41 AM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

(Also posted this in the respective thread in the Camera Raw subforum)

For a few JPEG files, Bridge will  render the thumbnails and previews improperly (too bright, as if  over-exposed by one or two f-stops). When opening the affected JPEG  files in ACR 6.2, however, rendition in the Camera Raw preview window  will be just fine.

According to my tests with one example  of a JPEG file that ACR is screwing up this way (all with Bridge 4.0.3),  the issue is there with both ACR 6.2.0.21 (6.2 public beta) and  6.2.0.29 (6.2 final release) but not with ACR 6.1. So reverting back to  ACR 6.1 solves the problem. So does the following procedure:

• Open the offending file in ACR 6.2.
    • Apply an arbitrary change to the Exposure setting, e. g. -0.05, and click Done.
    • Open the same file in ACR 6.2 again.
    • Reset the Exposure setting to where it was before, and click Done.

Now  Bridge will render the file's thumbnail and preview properly ... at  least with my single sample JPEG file. In my particular case, one JPEG  file in a folder with 1,500 JPEGs is affected. I didn't notice while  using ACR 6.2 beta because it happens so sparsely. I have no idea what  the difference between the affected file and the other files is. The  shots were taken with the same camera, same lens, same settings, only  seconds apart—all but one render properly, and one is off. By the way,  the raw files of the same frames (shot in 'Raw+JPEG' format) all render  properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 5:03 AM   in reply to 01af

Thanks 01af,

Both for reposting here in the Bridge forum and for the suggested temporary fix of changing and restoring  exposure compensation in ACR 6.2 to enable Bridge to display the brightness/exposure of an image correctly. I tried this on a greyscale image and it works. Of course, we should not have to do that, and I note that if you delete the develop settings attached to the image after following your procedure, the file once again reverts to being displayed incorrectly in Bridge, that is, one to two stops overexposed.

Still, we have not found a permanent fix, and again I would ask for someone from Adobe to become involved in this thread. Perhaps if we mention Eric Chan's name over and over he will eventually become aware of us? Are you out there Eric?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 5:02 AM   in reply to 01af

01af wrote:

Yammer P wrote:

Andrew_Hart wrote:

What is a PV2003 symbol?

Nope, never seen this one either.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 5:45 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

Andrew_Hart wrote:

... and I note that if you delete the develop settings attached to the image after following your procedure, the file once again reverts to being displayed incorrectly in Bridge, that is, one to two stops overexposed.

Yes, exactly. Same here.

Andrew_Hart wrote:

01af wrote:

You'll see it only when opening a file (JPEG or raw) with ACR 6.0 or  later that contains settings created with ACR 5.7 or earlier. Or when you explicitly choose the 2003 Process from the Calibration options.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 5:51 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

We could wait forever before someone from Adobe happens upon this thread, let alone takes an interest in it, and so l have submitted a bug report in relation to the behaviour of ACR 6.2 discussed here.

I propose now to restore my system to a state not including any of the recent Ps, Bridge or ACR updates and wait with baited breath to see if anything good comes of this discussion. I will only monitor this thread on a weekly basis from now on. However, I will post brief details of any encouraging responses I receive from Adobe.

Good luck everyone!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 5:53 AM   in reply to 01af

01af wrote:

Andrew_Hart wrote:

... and I note that if you delete the develop settings attached to the image after following your procedure, the file once again reverts to being displayed incorrectly in Bridge, that is, one to two stops overexposed.

Yes, exactly. Same here.

Andrew_Hart wrote:

01af wrote:

You'll see it only when opening a file (JPEG or raw) with ACR 6.0 or  later that contains settings created with ACR 5.7 or earlier. Or when you explicitly choose the 2003 Process from the Calibration options.

Thanks, now all is clear.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 5:57 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

Andrew_Hart wrote:

Thanks Yammer.

Never seen this in ACR, unless you mean the symbol in the "TOP" right corner of the preview (not the main) pane when you open several images at the same time in ACR (or the the "TOP" right corner of the main pane of a large image) - which simply means that ACR is preparing to display the top most image (or the single large image) in the main pane.

What exactly does "PV2003" refer to or mean?

I stand corrected: it's a grey square containing a blue exclamation mark. It represents the older method of demosaicing raw images, replaced in ACR 6.x with PV2010 (process version 2010).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 1:00 AM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

Same issue here. I've found out that when I disable the JPEG and tiff handling in Bridge > Camera Raw Preferences images are back to normal. There are no longer oversaturated. I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:13 AM   in reply to howdytom

Hello,

I have had the same problems - Have you considered colour profile issues?

Check that your colour profile settings in Windows and Photoshop have been assigned appropriately.

Do the images that are not displaying colour correct in CS5 Bridge have an embedded colour profile that is not matching your current display profile.

Open Bridge, select and open the files that are not displaying colour correct into Camera RAW.  Choose a colour profile (bottom of screen in Camera RAW) and batch save them all.  The new files will have a new colour profile and will display colour correct in bridge.

After correcting my system and software colour profiles and resaving, this fixed all my images that were not displaying correctly.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 5:53 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

This is intended as a follow-up to my post #13. For me the issue is not connected in any way with colour profiles or working colour spaces.

What follows will be posted in both the ACR and Bridge User Forums

I've done some experimentation and found a workaround for, not the solution to, my problem with ACR 6.2 and 6.3RC causing Bridge to display random TIFFs and JPGs overexposed.

This is a temporary, and, if you have lots of affected files, a very laborious, individual file workaround. Unless Adobe investigates, finds and corrects the cause of the problem, it seems likely to re-occur. Only fixing the cause of the problem (which must lie in the new (different from ACR 6.1) code of ACR 6.2 and 6.3RC) could be be truly regarded as a solution.

Here is how I enabled Bridge to display my affected TIFFs and TPGs correctly, that is, with no amount of overexposure. These steps apply equally to B&W and Colour images.

For a 16-bit TIFF, duplicate it in Bridge (Edit/Duplicate) and then open the duplicate in ACR 6.2 or 6.3RC (ACR) hosted by Bridge. Make sure that all the sliders are zeroed in the Main panel and that the Amount slider in the Sharpening section of the Details panel is also set to zero (to avoid unwanted additional sharpening). Then open the image in Photoshop (Ps) and immediately save the image (Save As) over itself (yes, you're replacing the file) back in the folder from which you opened it into ACR, making sure to choose no compression. The resaved duplicate will now be displayed with its proper exposure in Bridge, and any further TIFFs or JPGs (whether 16-bit or 8-bit) derived from this file will also be displayed correctly. Following this procedure, my invariable experience is that I end up with a TIFF either the same size as or smaller than the affected TIFF.

Why no compression? Strangely, if you choose LZW compression (really the only logical alternative to "None") you end up with a larger file than you get with no compression. I have no idea why. Why not simply fix the affected file instead of a duplicate? No reason really, other than safety. If things go belly-up you still have your original, albeit, affected file. I also intend to keep my affected files for awhile just in case of some possible desire or need to re-examine them in the future.

For an 8-bit TIFF, although I don't have any which are affected, the procedure would be the same as for a 16-bit TIFF. You will need to conduct your own tests regarding compression/no compression and the resulting file size.

For a JPG, the procedure is pretty much the same (duplicating, opening in ACR, zeroing all sliders, opening in Ps and then saving over itself) but when saving try choosing Maximum Quality (12) which mostly, for me at least, produces a replacement JPG the same size as the original affected file. Of course, you can choose a greater level of compression if you wish, and my tests show that this will not adversely affect the outcome. You can use the replacement JPG to produce further, derivative 8-bit TIFFs or JPGs and all will display properly exposed in Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 5:08 AM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

Hi Andrew,

I'm a Bridge QE and trying to understand your problem.

About the 16-bit TIFF and JPEG issue,  you mentioned "Make sure that all the sliders are zeroed in the Main panel and that the  Amount slider in the Sharpening section of the Details panel is also  set to zero (to avoid unwanted additional sharpening).". If the original image has some setting in main panel not zero like Temperature or Tint, do I need to adjust the setting to zero or leave them untouched?

Thanks,

Bridge QE

Fran

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 6:27 AM   in reply to Br QE

Hi Fran,

Thanks for taking an interest in this thread. I'm receiving some assistance from Eric Chan, Jeff Schewe and others in relation to this issue in the Camera Raw forum in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/745757?tstart=0

After I respond to your question, if you have any follow up questions or suggestions, do you think you could could post them in the Camera Raw thread? That way everyone will get to see the whole discussion in the one place. The problem has now been seen really to relate to, and is caused by, ACR, so that seems the proper place to discuss it.

To answer your question, I have not had any instance where I have had to zero the Temp or Tint sliders (I have always found them set to zero). I have only ever had to adjust one or more of the 6 sliders in the Exposure group in the Main panel and the Amount slider in the Sharpness section of the Details panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 3:54 PM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

PLEASE  help save my sanity and my reputation!  --I have spent the last five days exhausting every possible solution to this debilitating issue. I have spent countless hours perusing the web for a solution, spent 4 hours yesterday with Adobe customer support and yet, there is no solution to be found. My issue is that the color (in every file format NEF, JPEG, PSD) completely changes color and desaturates in every one of the adobe products: Photoshop CS5, Camera RAW 6.2, Lightroom 3.2. -

Everything was working fine, and then out of no where my productivity has come to a crashing halt. This is the steps I have taken to this point:

-Uninstalling/re-installing all of the software

-Purging anything that can be purged.

-Changing color profiles

-Resetting defaults

-Resetting preferences

-Installing updated drivers for monitor, video cards

-rollling back drivers for monitor, video cards

-monitor recalibration

**and finally, today...I set the monitor up on another computer, OS windows xp, and to my complete surprise, the issue persists even on another pc with completely different hardware.

-I am at my wits end with this. I have clients ringing my phone off the hook. This is crazy!

-I have sent out for another monitor as a last ditch effort to see if something is wrong with the monitor.

PLEASE, if anyone has a solution please let me know. Apparently, the folks at Adobe are just as perplexed by these issues as we are, as I have found numerous posts on forums throughout the Internet with this same issue---and yet none of the post every found a solution.

Primary System

Windows7 64-bit

Nvidia fx 580 video card

Dell U2410 Ultra Sharp Monitor

Abobe CS5 Photoshop -64-bit

Lightroom 3.2

Camera Raw 6.2

Secondary

Windows XP

Nvidia GeForce 8400gs

Same software, just in a 32-bit

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 4:43 PM   in reply to conniez68

Connie, I've just stalked your movements around the Adobe forums of the last few days. I find it very difficult to understand your posts. It would help me if you could describe your problem more clearly, because, as it stands, I haven't got a clue what your problem is.

The thing which strikes me most is the description of the thumbnail changing from good to desaturated in a blink. Two things happen in a blink:

1. the conversion of an built-in raw thumbnail to a raw conversion thumbnail

2. the conversion of a workspace-corrected preview to a monitor-corrected preview

The first conversion depends on sound ACR defaults - which is irrelevent if the image already has raw settings.

The second conversion depends on a good monitor profile.

Your description of a blink convinces me that these two areas are the ones to investigate. I think it's more likely to be a monitor profile. Do you have a manufacturer's profile you can use instead of a home-made one? Just to eliminate your own calibration and profiling from the mix?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 6:01 PM   in reply to Yammer

Thank you Yammer for at least responding. As you can probably tell, I'm a little desperate at this point and I have left post in every forum, and post that I come across in hopes that someone will have a solution. As I stated, even tech support with complete control of my screen spent 4 hours attempting to find a solution. They have now escalated it to the next level of the Adobe kingdom.

My issue is that up until 5 days ago, I was able to load images into Bridge, Lightroom, ACR, and Photoshop CS5 and view the image in it's original state. In Lightroom and Bridge of course, I was actually viewing the embedded JPEG in the RAW file as the preview (this up until 5 days ago was basically identical to what I had viewed in my D300 LCD screen.

Now, the photos load into Bridge and Lightroom initially about a two second "blink" and I can literally sit and watch the color drain from the thumbnails in a domino sequence. Then, when I load the NEF into ACR or photoshop the problem persists, and not only does it persist, the color and saturation once edited, is completely different (greatly oversaturated, and colors unmatched) from what was created in photoshop.

I suspected a bad monitor profile, as did the adobe tech to which we quickly ruled out. Not just by recalibrating, but by using every profile possible. And tonight, my last ditch effort...I brought in another monitor (different manufacturer, and a non wide-gamut) and again...Dracula resides within my Adobe software.

Thanks again for at least acknowledging me.

~Connie

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 6:31 AM   in reply to conniez68

Things that I have noticed that may or may not influence these behaviors. I feel like it's worth a shot to just share them just on the off chance that one or more of these thing may be impacting the way the photos are displayed.

• In Lightroom, I do not have the option to "edit in" Camera Raw. Even via browsing. If in Lightroom I choose "edit with CS5 Photoshop" (which always prompts the ACR dialog box when using Bridge) I am immediately taken to Photoshop and ACR is bypassed (and this is NEF files).
    • In Bridge and in Lightroom, the option is not available to choose my Camera manufacturer profile. I just have the basic Adobe standard, ACR 4.4 and 4.3, Camera DX modes, Camera standard, etc..
    • In my Cache folder for Camera Raw, the files are listed as cache838038598475987.dat (file type -Video CD Movie). The files are huge 134 items @ around 11,000kb each.

I am attaching a 2 screenshoots that I was able to grab just as the images were desatuating. Note that the obviously brighter photo actually has more red than that in the original preview (back when the photos were loading normally)

blink.jpg

unblink.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 7:22 AM   in reply to conniez68

conniez68 wrote:

My issue is that up until 5 days ago, I was able to load images into Bridge, Lightroom, ACR, and Photoshop CS5 and view the image in it's original state. In Lightroom and Bridge of course, I was actually viewing the embedded JPEG in the RAW file as the preview (this up until 5 days ago was basically identical to what I had viewed in my D300 LCD screen.

Now, the photos load into Bridge and Lightroom initially about a two second "blink" and I can literally sit and watch the color drain from the thumbnails in a domino sequence. Then, when I load the NEF into ACR or photoshop the problem persists, and not only does it persist, the color and saturation once edited, is completely different (greatly oversaturated, and colors unmatched) from what was created in photoshop.

Bridge can be configured to show the embedded thumbnail, OR, generate a preview based on your ACR defaults. You choose, using the buttons on the Bridge toolbar.

Personally, I have Bridge set to generate high-quality thumbnails on demand. When I see a NEF for the first time, its thumbnail has a thin black border and you see the embedded image generated by the camera. If I select the thumbnail, Bridge makes ACR generate a thumbnail and a preview. This normally takes a second or two per image. The thumbnail border disappears, and the thumbnail is replaced by the ACR-generated high-quality version. Once the thumbnails have been updated, Bridge reapplies the monitor profile to the new thumbnails.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 7:24 AM   in reply to conniez68

conniez68 wrote:

In Bridge and in Lightroom, the option is not available to choose my Camera manufacturer profile. I just have the basic Adobe standard, ACR 4.4 and 4.3, Camera DX modes, Camera standard, etc..

I don't understand what you mean. You seem to have everything you are supposed to have: the old ACR profiles, and the new Adobe X and Camera X profiles. This is normal. If you are missing a custom-made profile (made using a 3rd-party application) then this is because it has been deleted or moved.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 8:02 AM   in reply to Yammer

conniez68:

I suspect you do not have the correct version of ACR for that camera, or a corrupt download or installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 9:43 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Thanks to you all for responding. I have unistalled and reinstalled all 3 programs,

I have tired viewing in high quality thumbnails, preview thumbnails and the

results are the same.

-One thing that is confusing to me is in Windows7 (still learning this environment), there are (2) Program Files in the OS. One is: Program Files, which list all of the programs, and then there is: Program Files (x86) which again list programs. However, I have noticed in Lightroom is not listed in Programx86/Common Files. Not sure if this even matters, but because it is an inconsistencie I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there.

**I'm still stumped by the size and format of each of the cache files. When I click on them, it prompts Nero CD/DVD Player. ??

Untitled.jpgpfx86.jpgprogram86.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 11:15 AM   in reply to conniez68

So far as Win7, you have the 64 bit program, which will run both 32 and 64 bit apps, but as separate entities. So the 32 bit programs run under x86 which is the designation for a 32 bit programs.

You will see as time goes on and you add apps or programs, entries on one but not on the other, as it should be. Do not be concerned about that.

I haven't looked at your screen shots yet as I am doing a "fly by" and will look later. I hope others may comment as well.

Lawrence

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 11:37 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Ok, I looked at th screen shots. I see you are showing the distribution of programs between 32 and 64 bit entries. It is a bit hard to read but I didn't see anything alarming.

So far as the cache files, I haven't a clue as to what exactly bothers you. Size comapred to what?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 12:41 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome,

My concern with the cache files is that they are formatted as video/cd/movie files. Is this the correct format? Also, is the fact that my Camera profile is not listed in the camera profile, reason for concern? It is listed in the Camera Raw folder, but not visible in the actual program.

Connie

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 1:13 PM   in reply to conniez68

Connie, you are not going to get anywhere clutching at straws like this. Please take a deep breath, and try to address the posts clearly and completely, rather than going off at a tangent. I appreciate that you are struggling, but it is difficult to save a drowning person when they are thrashing about!

I am still string to understand what your problem is, never mind provide a solution.

What happens if you view an sRGB JPEG in Bridge/Photoshop. Does it look correct? If not, then there is something wrong with the monitor hardware/software. If it looks okay, then something else is the problem.

If you are comparing embedded thumbnails with high-quality thumbnails, then this is not helpful. High-quality thumbnails are generated either according to ACR defaults (new files) or image develop settings (previously developed). If you used to only view embedded thumbnails before the problem started then you cannot compare with the HQ thumbnails now.

Have you tried known good JPEG, TIFFs (sRGB and AdobeRGB) and raw files. Are they all bad or just some combinations? Please be precise.

You say that you have changed monitor and monitor profile. So that should eliminate bad monitor profiles affecting colour-managed software. You did not say if you had tried the manufacturer's profile.

You are still using the same computer. And non-colour-managed software is displaying images correctly? Do you have any other colour-managed applications, like Windows Photo Gallery which you can check?

Let's be methodical.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 2:51 PM   in reply to jackjones_adobe

Yammer,

I will try to remain calm and leave my temper-tantrum for offline. My intent in giving so many details is in hope that something will be a red flag to someone, even as it seems completely unrelated to the issue.

-All photo formats degradein color once opened in any of the Adobe products, as well as in Window Viewer (this however, was not the case a few days ago. The photos rendered in Windows Views then, just as they do in the separate internal drive on the system. Why that has changed now, I have no clue).

-I have two different monitors, two different computers, every color profile available, including manufareres profiles.

-The issue persist when I re-installed all adobe software, as well as on CS3

-For some reason, I feel that there is some conflict that has arisen in Camera Raw. This is solely based on the fact the that program in my understanding is what actually renders/processes the NEF files. And do to the fact that this occurred on two different systems, with two different graphics cards, and two different manufactured monitors.

** Yes, more screenshots.

The first shot was actually taken when I just after purchasing the new system and software. Somehow I tinkered enough to fix it, that is until 6 days ago, when the monster returned.

Screenshot.jpgcompare.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 5:45 PM   in reply to conniez68

To what have you set Camera RAW Prefs in Bridge?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 6:04 PM   in reply to conniez68

Connie,

It is always difficult to trouble shoot from afar as we can't see what you see, nor know your skill level.  So forgive me is this is too basic but Luminous Landscape as some excellent tutorials on photography.  Here is one that describes how to get the most out of camera raw and get rid of the thumbnail changing in the first second.  You may be beyond this but will estabilsh a baseline.  Check this out.   http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/cr-auto.shtml

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 6:28 AM   in reply to conniez68

conniez68 wrote:

-All photo formats degrade in color once opened in any of the Adobe products, as well as in Window Viewer (this however, was not the case a few days ago. The photos rendered in Windows Views then, just as they do in the separate internal drive on the system. Why that has changed now, I have no clue).

-I have two different monitors, two different computers, every color profile available, including manufareres profiles.

-The issue persist when I re-installed all adobe software, as well as on CS3

-For some reason, I feel that there is some conflict that has arisen in Camera Raw. This is solely based on the fact the that program in my understanding is what actually renders/processes the NEF files. And do to the fact that this occurred on two different systems, with two different graphics cards, and two different manufactured monitors.

I would not describe the effect as "desaturated". To me, it looks like the image's colour profile is being assigned one with a smaller gamut. You often see this when people upload AdobeRGB images to the internet, and non-colour-managed browsers assume the profiles as sRGB.

What is "Windows Viewer/Views"? Do you mean 'Windows Photo Viewer'? If your photos all degrade in Photoshop AND Windows Photo Viewer then your problem is definitely NOT with Adobe.

I don't know what this means: "The photos rendered in Windows Views then, just as they do in the separate internal drive on the system". Can you rephrase, please?

I'll ask again: have you tried the monitor manufacturer's profile on your computer?

The fact that images' colours look wrong on ALL colour-managed software suggests that your computers' colour management setting are incorrect, and that there is nothing wrong with your Adobe installations.

Sorry, did you say which operating system you are using?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points